The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
I am absolutely bricking it for this exam... I don't even know why I took it :s-smilie: Anyone doing food supply issues? Worst topic! Anyone got any tips for remembering case studies, also in the 15 markers, how important is it to know the case studies word for word? (exactly the same figures etc...), my teacher was teling me that you could get away with making some stuff up, but I'd rather not follow her advice.
Good luck everyone, I dropped geography :smile:
Original post by homefind
Basically at the mouth of a river, water enters the sea at high velocity, sea absorbs the rivers velocity causing the river to deposit it's load, flocculation occurs which causes the finer material like silt that were kept in suspension to clump together to form larger sediment which then deposit, this occurs over a period of time. Over time sediment builds up which eventually slightly blocks off the mouth of the river which forces braiding to occur. Formation of eyots etc... Deltas are made from fertile soil which causes the growth of vegetation on the delta.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I get it! Thank you so much! That was explained really well :smile: x
Hope you do well tomorrow
Reply 803
Original post by hassanakhtaruk
Ah I get it! Thank you so much! That was explained really well :smile: x
Hope you do well tomorrow

No problem, hope you do well too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Melissajwilson
Thanks so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome :smile: sorry for the scruffy writing haha :P
Rejuvenation is the INCREASED energy of the river. Caused by eustatic change which is worldwide change on sea level or isostatic change which is the rebound of the land once the ice has gone so sea level falls in relation to height of land.
Ok so Rejuvenation forms 3 landforms:
1.knick points - river adjusts to its new base level after the sea level decreases leaving a local steepening on the long profile known as a knick point. They an be marked by waterfalls.

2. Insiced meanders are either entrenched or ingrown. Entrenched is like a v shape valley. it is symmetrical and has steep sides. NOW REMEMBER. EVERY TIME THE POTENTIAL ENERGY INCREASES, THE RIVER HAS RENEWED ENERGY SO VERTICAL EROSION AND DOWNCUTTING OCCUR AS THE ENERGY IS USED FOR THOSE 2 PROCESSES. So in entrenched incised meanders, the potential energy increases so down Turing and vertical erosion occurs which explains the symmetrical cords section. Now ingrown insiced meanders are asymmetrical and there is a slower fall in sea level so the river has more time to meander and so lateral erosion occurs.

3. finally, river terraces. These are the former positions of flood plains and are located higher than the current floodplain. So as a result of sea level decreasing and potential energy increasing, vertical erosion and down cutting occurs and the river cuts into its own floodplain. So the new floodplain is created by vertical erosion

Hope that helped. Good luck :smile:

Thank you so so much! That helped so much, I really didn't understand it when my teacer was teaching it today! Good luck to you too! :smile:
Original post by chloeg24
Yeah, sounds really good! Fingers crossed for you tomorrow, and I just hope that we get good questions!!

Aw same and thanks! Hope we will be celebrating after the exam haha :P cuz there is no right or wrong (kinda) ..it's more or less are the questions nice and answerable and do we know our stuff? Haha
Original post by r0siedunning
Thank you so so much! That helped so much, I really didn't understand it when my teacer was teaching it today! Good luck to you too! :smile:

Aw you are more than welcome :smile: hope it goes well for us :') and I jope rejuvenation comes up haha ...( hope you are with me on that one now hahaha :P )
Good luck for tomorrow everyone going to bed soon so I can get up early and revise !
Im sure you will all do fine! :smile:
Good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 810
good luck everyone! Hope you all do fantastic! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's so scary thinking that our papers are just lying there in their packs waiting to be opened tomorrow afternoon....wonder what questions are actually printed on them hahaha
Original post by MobQ
I am absolutely bricking it for this exam... I don't even know why I took it :s-smilie: Anyone doing food supply issues? Worst topic! Anyone got any tips for remembering case studies, also in the 15 markers, how important is it to know the case studies word for word? (exactly the same figures etc...), my teacher was teling me that you could get away with making some stuff up, but I'd rather not follow her advice.

You can probably get away with making up a few figures along as they are realistic, examiners mark so many papers so some might not be too strict, however some are retired and may like to check up on it haha...

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's so scary thinking that our papers are just lying there in their packs waiting to be opened tomorrow afternoon....wonder what questions are actually printed on them hahaha

So strange as well to think that the papers were written over a year ago!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 814
You can probably get away with making up a few figures along as they are realistic, examiners mark so many papers so some might not be too strict, however some are retired and may like to check up on it haha...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right, haha, yeah they probably enjoy researching that sort of stuff, my main worry is just forgetting all the case studies as they're what give you the high marks in the essay questions. Hopefully the grade boundaries are super low, I did one paper and it was 60/120 for an A!
If a question comes up on general population policies and the question does not specify on increase or decrease population and says something on the lines of: examine how one country has been successful in controlling population

Then can I use a case study on increasing a population OR decreasing a population or do I have to do chinas one child policy on decreasing a population?
So strange as well to think that the papers were written over a year ago!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahahaha so true!
Unfortunately the grade boundaries are increasing year by year, season by season....the only reason being the fact that we have more resources I.e past papers ...so expect higher boundaries...
If a question comes up on general population policies and the question does not specify on increase or decrease population and says something on the lines of: examine how one country has been successful in controlling population

Then can I use a case study on increasing a population OR decreasing a population or do I have to do chinas one child policy on decreasing a population?

You can choose either as far as I'm aware. I'm staying away from China, I know that there will be some real know it alls out there that would make my answer look rubbish, so I'm going for either Maritius or Romania, hopefully it will be a nice change for the examiner and he'll be more generous with his marking! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can choose either as far as I'm aware. I'm staying away from China, I know that there will be some real know it alls out there that would make my answer look rubbish, so I'm going for either Maritius or Romania, hopefully it will be a nice change for the examiner and he'll be more generous with his marking! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg I'm doing the same thing! Instead of talking about china some child policy, I'm talking about France and its approaches to increase population..plus I know more figures on it..but then I know more impacts on chinas one child policy....haha yikes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending