Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I thought the paper was good to be honest.

I did population, rivers, hot margins & food.

15 markers on rivers and hot margins were complete gifts.

Population was slightly iffy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyy)
    'different stages of development'

did this mean different countries from different stages from the DTM or varied development of population?

i don't get it. this exam was too vague.
    I did DTM, using China's One Child Policy (Anti-natalist approach in Stage 3 of DTM) and Australia's skills based migration etc (Pro-natalist approach in Stage 4 of DTM).

I agree though it was really vague, hoping that was what they were asking for though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homefind)
    Well you won't lose marks if you didn't use a case study however if the question specified use a case study then probably 6-9 I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is this for all questions? Because the cold enviroments question couldnt have included a case study

(Original post by clareramos)
    Not allowed to. I don't actually work for one exam board (JCQ) isn't an exam board. Read your exam notices next time, you'll find out what JCQ is :P
    I don't ever see final exams, often the last draft, and little changes happen, and even then after seeing all the exam boards exams for Geography, I do loose track of what's on what paper exactly.

I do get bribes, but don't work in A Level anymore. I get uni students instead.
    Wow as if, how much do they bribe you? Like £10,000?
    (Original post by rickyy)
    'different stages of development'

did this mean different countries from different stages from the DTM or varied development of population?

i don't get it. this exam was too vague.
    I think it meant compare a developed country with an underdevoloped country. For example i compared the gambia and its youthful population with France's ageing population. I gave it a quick mention that they were in different dtm stages (4 and 2), but I think the whole prupose to include that line was so that you couldnt compare two similar case studies, like Uganda and the Gambia

ReputationRep:
    im hoping for 90-100/120 but i cannot believe 74/120 was an A my teacher told me an A was 80% is this true?

ReputationRep:
    Could you use the Gambia and China for the population question - worried that because they are both technically LIC's that I might be marked down, however in terms of development the gap is huge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleTom)
    That was lucky I did a 15 marker on that the day before, the question before it you just list the differing rates of all the different indicators, wages, etc.

The for social welfare you talk about the well being of society in that area - economically, socially etc. So for instance in inner city areas with high crime rates, medical practitioners are reluctant to relocate there and therefore healthcare in that area is stretch in terms of resources - then you explain the implications for the health and wellbeing of people in the area because of this

You could talk about the income in the area being low/high and creating a positive or negative multiplier effect that impacted businesses and thus employment in the area. Loads of stuff.
    oh ok, so I wouldn't loose ALL the marks on that one them because I talked about healthcare being stretched in inner city areas. I also talked about how wealthy people are, but I kind of also mentioned a little about the quality of education in different areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luis suarez LFC)
    im hoping for 90-100/120 but i cannot believe 74/120 was an A my teacher told me an A was 80% is this true?
    74/120 is an A i got 105 last year this exam will be literally awful though maybe 74 on the dot..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jones2596)
    I did DTM, using China's One Child Policy (Anti-natalist approach in Stage 3 of DTM) and Australia's skills based migration etc (Pro-natalist approach in Stage 4 of DTM).

I agree though it was really vague, hoping that was what they were asking for though!
    Did we have to mention/ state which stage it was in. I did China And USA.

ReputationRep:
    is it true 70-80/120 is an A?

ReputationRep:
    I said all of the above haha, however I linked into my conclusion the idea about climate change and how it is indeed a natural process, however it is aided by human activity

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everyone seems to have done so much for this question! I used the case study of Carlisle and talked about the heavy & prolonged rainfall before it (physical), urbanisation of the town centre (human) and the drainage basin in that there's 3 rivers; Eden & Caldew & Peterill (physical)..so I did less factors and focused more around the case study yikes

ReputationRep:
    I did this exam after 2 hours sleep last night and history this morning so i'm honestly not expecting miracles. Thank **** only 1 of the 15 markers required you to analyse case studies as I didn't revise many stupidly although I managed to throw in links here and there.

Rivers:
    Didn't get taught magnitude-frequencey but took an educated guess. Dams I forgot to put they were hard engineering lmao, was tired But for advantages/disadvantages I had: Potential to stop floods, can limit erosion downstream, long term and some more that I forgot. Disadvantages the disruption of wildlife such as salmon, high cost, stops sediment transportation and the consequences if the dam fails.

For the one I did marine erosion (mentioned headlands, bays, coves), sub-aerial erosion and transportation. Concluded marine erosion is more important generally than sub-aerial except in cases of large landslides. Went on about LSD for transportation and how deposition can protect coastlines etc..

The 15th marker I had for physical: drainage basin size and gradient, level of precipitation, vegetation (Might have been 1 more i've forgot.) For human I had urbanisation (Carlisle floods), deforestation (Bangladesh floods) and sewage systems. Concluded that physical is generally more important except in some cases where humans have significantly affected the surrounding area ie deforestation in Bangladesh

Coasts:
    Hadn't revised submergent features much but got a long and cross profile down for Fjords, U shape valley, deep, flooded glacial valley etc..

Population:
    For the map bit I compared B and D i think it was, one urban and one rural, commented on the large amounts of Synagogues in the urban area, threw in a grid reference for something and just generally commented on there being more A&B roads compared to D which was mainly farm land with a river running through.

The 15 marker I did China and the Philippines

Energy:

I did oil and a bit of nuclear for the 15 marker, talked about OPEC, USA the biggest user, , TNC's like BP, MEDCs starting to drift away from oil gradually in favor of renewable, estimated 40 years of reserves but as reserves drop and prices increase finding fields elsewhere will become economically viable. For nuclear that only technologically and economically advanced nations can use it although countries like Iran and North Korea are developing it, that it is non renewable although there is enough for massive amounts of power for generations and that the trade of uranium is tightly controlled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luis suarez LFC)
    is it true 70-80/120 is an A?
    Yes...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't use OS grid references is this bad??

ReputationRep:
    GRADE BOUNDARY ESTIMATE

max marks 120, percent in brackets

June Average

A - 63.5 (52.9)
    B - 56.5 (47.1)
    C - 49.5 (41.25)
    D - 42.75 (35.625)
    E - 36.25 (30.2)

Jan and June Average

A - 66.25 (55.2)
    B - 59.125 (49.3)
    C - 52 (43.3)
    D - 45 (37.5)
    E - 38.5 (32.1)

Estimate for June 2013

The Estimate is based on previous averages and exam marks, as well as how people think it went. The current trend is generally going up in marks.

A - 70 (58.3)
    B - 63 (52.5)
    C - 57 (47.5)
    D - 52 (43.3)
    E - 47 (39.2)

Do NOT take it as the grade boundaries, it is only my extimate

NOTE NOW CORRECTED

ReputationRep:
    Could you use the Gambia and China for the population question - worried that because they are both technically LIC's that I might be marked down, however in terms of development the gap is huge
    Yeah that should be absoloutely fine, Gambia is in stage 2 of the DTM, in comparison China is in stage 3 /getting nearer to stage 4 now!

ReputationRep:
    Hey clare, just wanted to say found this paper really easy I thought I was going to fail 10 mins before though haha, hoping for 95 UMS perhaps, definitely got above 80% raw marks
    The paper's out of 140 UMS, so you'd hope if you got above 80% raw that you'd get better than 95 UMS...haha

ReputationRep:
    I thought the question about tyre deg was the hardest one. Anyone else do this question?

ReputationRep:
    Who else compared A with D? haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bezza95)
    I didn't use OS grid references is this bad??
    Nope, as long as you said what it is.

I think I did ok hopefully on everything, apart from the first question identified the damn thing wrong But my advantage of it being able to have turnbines and generate electiricty should still get me marks? And disadvantage expensive etc??

But apart from that quesion it was ok, hope we all get A's

ReputationRep:
    For the dam question I also talked about how it can be used for HEP, backed this up by saying about how 3% of chinas electricity is generated by HEP from three gorges damn, talked about how it leads to extinction of animals, settlements need to be flooded and therefore I people need to be relocated and how it is effective and how it's expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.