Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saranya S)
    I got a* in unit 1 and unit 3 but a b in unit 2. I thought unit 2 went a lot better than unit 1 and i didn't expect to get a b especially since the grade boundaries were lower in in unit 2. I need 10 raw marks for an a* in unit 2, should i remark the paper?
    no. no papers have gone up by anywhere near that amount this year, quite a lot this year have stayed the same or dropped 1 or 2 marks.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested or wondering about whether to remark - I got back my unit 1 remark yesterday and it went up by 6 UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybellys)
    If anyone is interested or wondering about whether to remark - I got back my unit 1 remark yesterday and it went up by 6 UMS
    What was it before? And what grade? I'm thinking about doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueray2)
    What was it before? And what grade? I'm thinking about doing it.
    C at 96 :/ Moved up to a B with 102 and am now 5 marks off an A If you do it - hope it goes up!

ReputationRep:
    C at 96 :/ Moved up to a B with 102 and am now 5 marks off an A If you do it - hope it goes up!
    Oh wow nice! Well done Thanks

ReputationRep:
    so you've actually gone from 67 to 70 raw marks. So actually only gone up 3 raw marks. Well done, but don't try and make the difference look so big by using UMS, gives people false hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareramos)
    so you've actually gone from 67 to 70 raw marks. So actually only gone up 3 raw marks. Well done, but don't try and make the difference look so big by using UMS, gives people false hope.
    lol yeah I saw that as well, i didn't bother remarking it, I'll just work hard for A2 Any tips? What usually happens in a2 that examiners say went well and want more of and what didn't go so well, I would like your expert knowledge + essay 40 marker tips. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do know and realise that. It may not seem necessarily a huge difference to you but to some people it does - I was 1 mark off a B overall and I now have a B. Well I said my UMS score because UMS is what the universities look at? I wasn't trying to big up the difference - I was pointing out that remarks do go up and with geography grade boundaries being so close together it has put me closer to achieving an A? I was just saying that if people feel they did better in the exam then go for the re-mark.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do know and realise that. It may not seem necessarily a huge difference to you but to some people it does - I was 1 mark off a B overall and I now have a B. Well I said my UMS score because UMS is what the universities look at? I wasn't trying to big up the difference - I was pointing out that remarks do go up and with geography grade boundaries being so close together it has put me closer to achieving an A? I was just saying that if people feel they did better in the exam then go for the re-mark.
    Thank you.
    Universities don't tend to look at UMS. It goes grades, PS and then on extreme circumstances if they are deciding to give a place or not, or to make you unconditional will look at GCSE, one or two will very occasionally look at UMS, but it will be where there are two people and all those 3 are similar, and that very rarely happens.

remarks go down far more. I work in geography remarks, not unit 1, but there is a far higher percentage of people keeping the same mark or going down that going up marks, and even less where that actually changes boundaries.

You'd have to get very high A, and not knowing your unit 2, I can't say either way.

remark isn't always the best option for everyone. sometimes it is just better that you accept it rather than run the risk.

ReputationRep:
    lol yeah I saw that as well, i didn't bother remarking it, I'll just work hard for A2 Any tips? What usually happens in a2 that examiners say went well and want more of and what didn't go so well, I would like your expert knowledge + essay 40 marker tips. Thanks
    A2 is far more starting to look at basic 1st year uni stuff and starting to assess you in the style, although there are differences.

Biggest tip I've got is learn case studies and get good at writing P.E.E. and weaving it in essays. Also not waffling as you shouldn't have time to waffle in exams.

40 marker is always a ***** of a question. It may be easy, but it is far more layout than content, if you layout is crap, don't expect marks to be high, a lot teachers ignore this and then wonder why their students have low marks, you should have an introduction with what you're going to say in it, and then a paragraph for each thing, and at the end of each paragraph there should be a concluding sentence, you should then have an overall conclusion, and don't put anything that wasn't in the rest of it. The 40 marker is one of the very obvious 1st year uni skills, that you can take forward, and that goes across a lot of subjects.

If you're doing Unit 4A, make is PERSONAL, you will do far better, don't just do what your school does or alter your AS, as it will more than likely be ****, and you are then missing the point of that part of the unit.

Hopefully with the changes coursework will be brought back, but that it'll be more uni style.

ReputationRep:
    A2 is far more starting to look at basic 1st year uni stuff and starting to assess you in the style, although there are differences.

Biggest tip I've got is learn case studies and get good at writing P.E.E. and weaving it in essays. Also not waffling as you shouldn't have time to waffle in exams.

40 marker is always a ***** of a question. It may be easy, but it is far more layout than content, if you layout is crap, don't expect marks to be high, a lot teachers ignore this and then wonder why their students have low marks, you should have an introduction with what you're going to say in it, and then a paragraph for each thing, and at the end of each paragraph there should be a concluding sentence, you should then have an overall conclusion, and don't put anything that wasn't in the rest of it. The 40 marker is one of the very obvious 1st year uni skills, that you can take forward, and that goes across a lot of subjects.

If you're doing Unit 4A, make is PERSONAL, you will do far better, don't just do what your school does or alter your AS, as it will more than likely be ****, and you are then missing the point of that part of the unit.

Hopefully with the changes coursework will be brought back, but that it'll be more uni style.
    Wow thanks for that Yes I'm doing plate tectonics and world cities, can you give me an example for the structure there? As in how many points should I be looking for in that case?
    Also any tips on the geographical evaluation released later next year?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks for that Yes I'm doing plate tectonics and world cities, can you give me an example for the structure there? As in how many points should I be looking for in that case?
    Also any tips on the geographical evaluation released later next year?
    Thanks
    structures are generic, it's just content that changes.

as many as you think would fit 40 marks. It is written very vaguely, so length and number of points, so everyone can do it. You could have tonnes of points or very few detailed points, there's no right or wrong way.

make sure you know it, and pick key words. not really dealt with 4B in terms of teaching it.

ReputationRep:

Great advice! We're doing 4A! When you said Make it personal, how exactly can I achieve this?!? I went on a trip last year and out teacher said we should use our trip from last year for this year too. We also used the last year trip for Unit 2.

Any advice on how I can get top grades/marks for this year? I got 180/200 last year, which wasn't too bad (if you think about it terms of raw marks). I know that what I got for AS doesn't predetermine what I am going to get for A2, but since GCSEs, Geography has always been the subject i've been determined to work hard in/for the exams. At AS, I left revision very late (a few weeks prior) and I spent every single day and night doing revision for the exam. I don't want to be placed in that situation again!

Also, what books do you suggest?

Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurtisDean)
    Great advice! We're doing 4A! When you said Make it personal, how exactly can I achieve this?!? I went on a trip last year and out teacher said we should use our trip from last year for this year too. We also used the last year trip for Unit 2.

Any advice on how I can get top grades/marks for this year? I got 180/200 last year, which wasn't too bad (if you think about it terms of raw marks). I know that what I got for AS doesn't predetermine what I am going to get for A2, but since GCSEs, Geography has always been the subject i've been determined to work hard in/for the exams. At AS, I left revision very late (a few weeks prior) and I spent every single day and night doing revision for the exam. I don't want to be placed in that situation again!

Also, what books do you suggest?

Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    GRRRRRRR... that's not a personal fieldwork and is lazy teaching. be very hard to personalise. message me and see if I can work something out, to make it in any way shape or form personal to you.

simply work hard and revise as you go. Also keep current and up to date for case studies.

I never suggest for books for A Level as people prefer different books. I use several in teaching to generally cover all people. Also use academic literature where I think it is better than the books. A lot of the books are written for the exam board rather than basing on literature already there, so find that all of them are weak in some areas, and different ones weak on certain areas. Find one that suits you.

ReputationRep:
    if anyone needs help [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone at A2, I got an A* with full UMS in the long exam and 78/80 in 4A. Feel free to ask me any questions or PM me .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what topic did everyone that has finished A2 do for A2?
    I am doing:
    World Cities
    Development and Globalisation
    Ecosystems
    Tectonics

+ 4A

We are doing 4 instead of three.

ReputationRep:
    what topic did everyone that has finished A2 do for A2?
    I am doing:
    World Cities
    Development and Globalisation
    Ecosystems
    Tectonics

+ 4A

We are doing 4 instead of three.
    I did World Cities, Tectonics, Weather and Climate and 4A .

ReputationRep:
    How do you get an A* at A2 for Geography? Do you get A*s in exams, or do you need to get a total UMS?

ReputationRep:
    How do you get an A* at A2 for Geography? Do you get A*s in exams, or do you need to get a total UMS?
    Average of 90% UMS over both A2 exams.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.