Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm a non-law student looking to do a conversion to law, or to take a masters in Legal Science, preferably in London.

I currently study at Queen's University Belfast and I'm looking to move from here to be able to go into English law (the courses here are Northern Irish law). I'd preferably like to take a masters in a legal area because as far as I'm aware it doesn't give you the security of an academic grade, just a springboard into training. Given the cost, I think I'd like to have an academic qualification as well.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could do this, or is anyone in the same situation?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

You should be able to do the GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law) look this up, its a postgrad course and you wouldn't need a degree in Law. You would then need to do Legal Practice Course to be a Solicitor, or Bar Vocational Course to become a Lawyer. I am considering doing this, as I have a 2:1 in non law subject and I'm thinking of doing a postgraduate course. I don't know what you'd be able to do with a MA in legal science, bear in mind you don't even need a law degree to become a Lawyer. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! Am thinking of doing this also but I have assumed that my only option was the 2 year llb accelerated course as my option? But you say you can do it in 1 year? Is the gdl the sane as the llb accelerated? And then 1 years legal practice?

Was looking to do it in Scotland, but happy to go south if I have too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marma-duke)
    Hello!

I'm a non-law student looking to do a conversion to law, or to take a masters in Legal Science, preferably in London.

I currently study at Queen's University Belfast and I'm looking to move from here to be able to go into English law (the courses here are Northern Irish law). I'd preferably like to take a masters in a legal area because as far as I'm aware it doesn't give you the security of an academic grade, just a springboard into training. Given the cost, I think I'd like to have an academic qualification as well.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could do this, or is anyone in the same situation?
    Thanks!
    You could do a 2 year long, graduate entry to qualifying law degrees at Universities of Bristol, Birmingham and Edinburgh. The latter being Scots law.

Or an MA in Law and Finance at Oxford (doesn't need Law UG).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marma-duke)
    Hello!

Thanks!
    You are running together several different things.

Firstly these degrees at Queen's are qualifying law degrees for qualifying as a solicitor in England.

LLB – Full time
    LLB Law and Accounting – Full time
    LLB Law with Politics – Full time
    LLB Common and Civil Law with French – Full time
    LLB Common and Civil Law with Hispanic Studies – Full time
    Master of Legal Science (MLegSc) (2 years) – Full time
    LLB – Part time
    LLB Law and Accounting – Part time
    LLB Law with Politics – Part time
    LLB Common and Civil Law with French – Part time
    LLB Common and Civil Law with Hispanic Studies – Part time
    Master of Legal Science (MLegSc) (5 years) – Part time
    BSc Legal Science Degree – Senior status (full time)
    LLB Law – Senior status (full time)
    Master of Legal Science (MLegSc) – Senior status (full time)
    If you come to England to study, you have two options. The first is a GDL. That is a 1 year full-time or 2 year part-time course. Most students switching to law do this. It is widely available.

The second is to do a two year senior status LLB (though Oxford and Cambridge's degrees are titled BA and Bristol's is an MA). These provide a more academic law course.

Someone has referred to an accelerated LLB. An accelerated LLB is the title usually given to a 2 year law degree for non-graduates. Essentially, a three year course is compressed into two years by skipping long student vacations. Obviously you can do one of these in the same way that you could do a 3 year LLB but there is really little point.

Someone else has referred to a masters degree (usually but not invariably titled an LLM). These are primarily additional academic degrees for law grads. A few are open to non-law grads. They are not qualifying law degrees and would not replace a GDL/senior status law degree. Note that Bristol's MA (and possibly one or two other similar degrees) are senior status qualifying law degrees although at masters level.

ReputationRep:
    Which universities do these graduate entry law courses? I can only find the 2 year llb accelerated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moyles)
    Which universities do these graduate entry law courses? I can only find the 2 year llb accelerated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Work your way down the list. There are plenty

http://www.sra.org.uk/students/cours...providers.page

ReputationRep:
    From that I take it no Scottish institutions offer the 1 year gdl?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Moyles,

England and Wales have the same legal system, Scotland has a different one. I don't know anything about law in Scotland.
    I Hope this helps.

You can find list of GDL courses here (none are in Scotland)

http://www.lawcabs.ac.uk/

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.