Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How far do you agree with beauty in a woman is a prerequisite? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I'm genuinely ugly.
    ok you can either decide to make the best of it or you can decide you'd prefer to continually be making self pity threads about it on here.

imo.
    Dress nicely.
    Do your hair nicely.
    Wear nice make up.
    Behave confidently.

I think you should watch some gok wan shows.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely this. I actually can't fall for a boy if I don't like their personality. Guys can't fall for girls if they aren't pretty.
    It's good to have you back, but I'm saddened you haven't changed You are obviously a very intelligent girl, and I was hoping the 'lay off' might have done you some good

(Original post by MetropolisBoy)
    It's good to have you back, but I'm saddened you haven't changed You are obviously a very intelligent girl, and I was hoping the 'lay off' might have done you some good
    It made it worse as I've been talked down about my appearance since then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    This.

It doesn't matter what a guy looks like. Girls care more about personality than looks. I've fancied boys before who didn't have particularly attractive faces. A guy's looks are pretty much irrelevant.

It's different for a girl, and trying to pretend it isn't is a delusion. Girls are supposed to be pretty. If you're not then you might as well not exist, because boys won't give you a single glance.
    But attractiveness is entirely subjective. Yes, looks are important, you have to be attracted to them in the first place after all but men have completely diiferent ideas as to what 'attractive' means. It's the same with girls, I've found some men extremely attractive that other girls wouldn't have considered attractive at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink pineapple)
    But attractiveness is entirely subjective. Yes, looks are important, you have to be attracted to them in the first place after all but men have completely diiferent ideas as to what 'attractive' means. It's the same with girls, I've found some men extremely attractive that other girls wouldn't have considered attractive at all.
    Alpha males look for looks they are essential

Some weird men find blue waffle attractive, is that acceptable
    No
    :gasp:

But you are not a alpha male let alone a male it is not the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewBoneration)
    Alpha males look for looks they are essential

Some weird men find blue waffle attractive, is that acceptable
    No
    :gasp:

But you are not a alpha male let alone a male it is not the same
    Not all guys are alpha males.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink pineapple)
    Not all guys are alpha males.
    Yes fortunately

But the best go for alpha males

ReputationRep:
    Let me put it this way.

If a guy told a girl he's attracted to her because of her personality only - she'd be livid.

Every girl wants to feel wanted sexually by their boyfriend/partner. (unless they're asexual of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Exactly. Me and you are so on the same wavelength :yep:

They don't have to be "beautiful and nothing else", but they certainly do have to be beautiful. When did you ever see an ugly female news reader or weather girl or presenter, hm?

Beautiful doesn't mean you have to be tall, blonde and breasty, it just means you have to be aesthetically pleasing. If you are not, then you will always always be at a disadvantage and discriminated against.

Another example: I have seen on countless times a good looking girl with an unattractive man. However, I don't think I have ever seen a good looking guy with an ugly girl. That speaks volumes. Guys are visual creatures and the minimum they insist for is a pretty face. If you are an out and out ugly looking girl, then you might as well just die
    I don't really see a newsreader as influential, sorry. I see people like politicians as influential, and they're not always the best looking.

Well replace the quote "blonde, big breasts" etc with "Aesthetically pleasing". The entire point is still the same and I'd appeciate it if you responded to the actual point.

Well I've seen some frankly atrocious looking girls with super hot boyfriends. I'm sure they're not dying any time soon.

It's easier to get a career if you're pretty.

It's easier if you're beautiful.

:rofl:
    Disgusting attitude. And so untrue in most cases. How dare you act as if most women got their careers and influence through aesthetics instead of intelligence and hard work. Maybe it suits your opinions to generalise all the successful women this way, but frankly I'd be appalled if someone implied my effort and intelligence was irrelevant in the climb to my position.

And you don't appear to had any male company in your life tbh, so you wouldn't know.

(Original post by brendonbackflip)
    IDisgusting attitude. And so untrue in most cases. How dare you act as if most women got their careers and influence through aesthetics instead of intelligence and hard work. Maybe it suits your opinions to generalise all the successful women this way, but frankly I'd be appalled if someone implied my effort and intelligence was irrelevant in the climb to my position.

And you don't appear to had any male company in your life tbh, so you wouldn't know.
    Oh please, there are studies to prove it. Do a quick Google search: http://www.businessinsider.com/attra...cessful-2012-9

(Original post by Final Fantasy)
    That's bull****, in an experiment where an ugly guy and an ugly girl went on a night out trying to pull, the guy would have no chance whereas the girl if she offered sex would eventually be taken up on that offer (provided the person is drunk enough I suppose).

It's a lot easier for girls to get sex if they really wanted it that badly. Guys would have to pay.
    I disagree. Should we fund a a scientific-based experiment to prove once and for all that I am right?

(Original post by SuziieB)
    So you're saying that females exist just for the purpose of attracting people?

Lol, if you judge your worth based on how you look, that is very shallow. I for one know that there is so much more I can contribute in life than to just be aesthetically pleasing to people. Give yourself a little more credit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everything is based on looks please. I know I will have a more **** life because I'm ugly.

(Original post by spiral87)
    I'm kind of shallow 'cause I'm attracted to a girl by her looks before her personality, but I don't fancy traditionally 'beautiful' women and personality will always be the dealmaker or the dealbreaker. One of the girls I fancied didn't even wear make-up.
    I.e. naturally beautiful. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    for me as long as they are above my "attractiveness line" personality becomes much more important- if 5 is deadpan average, and 6 is slighty attactive, 7 is attractive and so on..

if they are a 6 or above then personality is the most important thing. a 5 would have to be a 10 in personality for me to even consider them, however a 6 with 8 personality would beat an 8 with 6 personality. a 6 with 8 personality would also beat a 9 with 5 personality, and so on (unless a connection/relationship wasn't my goal in the first place, and i wanted something meaningless at the time, in which case obviously a 10 would rule).

a 6 with 10 personality would beat anyone more attractive but with a lesser personality. a 10 personality would be far more important than 10 in looks (even if she were the most beautiful woman in the world).

ReputationRep:
    I.e. naturally beautiful. :rolleyes:
    I showed my dad a picture of her and he went "Ughh, HER?" and laughed

(Original post by Tridentus)
    for me as long as they are above my "attractiveness line" personality becomes much more important- if 5 is deadpan average, and 6 is slighty attactive, 7 is attractive and so on..

if they are a 6 or above then personality is the most important thing. a 5 would have to be a 10 in personality for me to even consider them, however a 6 with 8 personality would beat an 8 with 6 personality. a 6 with 8 personality would also beat a 9 with 5 personality, and so on (unless a connection/relationship wasn't my goal in the first place, and i wanted something meaningless at the time, in which case obviously a 10 would rule).

a 6 with 10 personality would beat anyone more attractive but with a lesser personality. a 10 personality would be far more important than 10 in looks (even if she were the most beautiful woman in the world).
    There are girls with a 10+ for personality and a 10+ for looks. How am I meant to compete with that?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Should we fund a a scientific-based experiment to prove once and for all that I am right?
    Sure, let's hook up. You're paying though.

(Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Sure, let's hook up. You're paying though.
    I wouldn't mind doing it.

ReputationRep:
    delete, slightly obnoxious post.

ReputationRep:
    *WATCH THIS*
    Anyone can be beautiful, if they're willing to put the effort in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk3tCpIo-Co

ReputationRep:
    ISA you have to be either a troll or one of the most insecure and bitter women I have ever come across on TSR.
    Let me put it to you like this
    You be a pretty face I pass in the street, You win my ****'s attention for about half an hour at the most.

You make me laugh, you blind me with science, you show me your compassionate side, you give me a chance and give my interests a go-you win my heart...and by extension my **** for much longer And I think most men will say the same, even the ones more 'alpha' than me

P.S. studies consistently show looks are an attractor, personality's a deal-breaker

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.