Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What social class do you consider yourself to be? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    Middle middle class? (is that a thing?)

Mum's a Doctor, Dad's a Reader at a Uni; both my brother and I go to private schools etc etc

Out of curiosity, what would you say defines Upper Middle from Middle Middle?

ReputationRep:
    Upper working class or low middle class.

We have a nice house and live well but don't have excess money to spend on luxuries. My parents work as a low skilled office worker and in computer network support (so skilled but not requiring a high education). There isn't any money in our family- both my parents grew up up in small council houses and their progressing from working class was due to their own work.

ReputationRep:
    Hm... Wikipedia says it's families with a history of high earning, which tend to send their children to Public School.

The boundaries between class sub-divisions seem to be getting more and more blurred (on the other hand, the boundaries between working/middle/upper are still very distinct).
    I don't think those definitions in Wikipedia are very well thought about and anyway they vary between countries and at different historical periods. In general, in the UK, I would suggest it is those who come from homes where at least one leading member of the family is a top professional or a high-ranking executive, highly educated (one of the upper universities) and with children at good schools or similar universities. Beyond that, it is a set of norms and cultural values. As you say, things are getting more blurry because culture is much more accessible and shared than it once was and because some cultural norms have shifted up and down the class structure. Football for example has been partially colonised by the middle class and arts for example by the working class. The internet and mass culture have further broadened things. Cross-class tastes are far more popular than they once were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    Just in case Jess didnt see your response to her
    Thank you It seems for my family there's been no way out of it really, but I'll change that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I don't think those definitions in Wikipedia are very well thought about and anyway they vary between countries and at different historical periods. In general, in the UK, I would suggest it is those who come from homes where at least one leading member of the family is a top professional or a high-ranking executive, highly educated (one of the upper universities) and with children at good schools or similar universities. Beyond that, it is a set of norms and cultural values. As you say, things are getting more blurry because culture is much more accessible and shared than it once was and because some cultural norms have shifted up and down the class structure. Football for example has been partially colonised by the middle class and arts for example by the working class. The internet and mass culture have further broadened things. Cross-class tastes are far more popular than they once were.
    Hm, by that definition I'd be straddling Upper Middle Class I suppose. What would you say Upper Middle Class 'values' were haha?

Yes, I do think the Internet is a great effector social change, inasmuch as it allows people to see things they would otherwise not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Officegirl4)
    Are you from a very aristocratic family?
    I'm glad people distinguish between the levels of aristocracy as, for example, in Bourbon Spain or Saxon Poland nobility amounted to some of 7/8-10/11% of the general population, accustoming to the political situation within those countries. Meanwhile, in France for example it remained around 2%.

Answering your question, I don't think it gets much more aristocratic so 'very aristocratic' suits my description. Sorry if I'm wording my sentences in an antithetical order as English is by far not my first language.

ReputationRep:
    I am fortunate to be among the working classes, as I have a job

ReputationRep:

Mum's a Doctor, Dad's a Reader at a Uni; both my brother and I go to private schools etc etc

I'd say that you're upper middle as you went to a private school. I think middle middle is when the child has a privileged upbringing but goes to a state school in a nice area and will go off to university.

ReputationRep:
    Middle class

ReputationRep:
    I'd say lower middle, as I think I've grown up in a middle class setting; I had private music and French tuition but attended state school. I've had a privileged upbringing as I've been to America 8 times and I can ski/water ski etc. My Mum went to private school until she was 12 til she had to drop out as my Grandad had cancer and wasn't able to work/pay tuition fees. My Dad had a upper-working class family upbringing as my Nan is working class but my Grandad worked for his Dad who owned a massive farm who was a main supplier for London. My Great-Grandad would of been a modern day millionaire but that's through solid hard work. My dad would of joined the family business but he wanted to be an Engineer.

My mum married my dad when she was 17 as she wasn't allowed to go to college (Strict, traditional Irish parents). My dad provided us a good life style, until they separated where my Mum had to get a job working in a kitchen as a cook. He sadly died when I was 14 so times have been tough- i've got inheritance to get me through university but we've had to be supported my Gran financially and by benefits. I would still class myself as middle class as I still think middle class? I pose myself middle class as I don't swear (well, not that much) and I talk properly. I still attend orchestra, I still fail at French and i'll be going to university in September. We live in a average 3 bed, detached house in Cambridgeshire in a nice village. My mum's car is getting a little old now as it's a City Rover. Her partner is very upper-middle as he has a holiday house in America, a couple of boats, went to boarding school, until last year had a little plane etc etc.

Can we still be middle even tho my Mum has benefits? I think she only gets Widows allowance and child allowance. I did get EMA when it was in place and I work in a coffee shop.

Then again, who cares what class i'm in or what class you're in? haha.

ReputationRep:
    Middle class father is a university graduate and has a decent income/job.

ReputationRep:
    i regard myself as working class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    Thank you It seems for my family there's been no way out of it really, but I'll change that
    Well I hope you get into uni and are able to change that - Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    I'd say that you're upper middle as you went to a private school. I think middle middle is when the child has a privileged upbringing but goes to a state school in a nice area and will go off to university.
    Well, I think there are people at my school who aren't Upper Middle, even though it's a private school (their parents are nurses/secretaries). Probably right about me though :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slothzilla)
    Personally I think middle now but working class when I was younger, although I'm not sure if it's considered possible to change so quickly?

Also I'd be interested to hear what people think I am as it's something that I've thought about since a friend once referred to me as working class when I've always thought of myself as middle class. I'll post a brief description in a spoiler in case anyone wants to give their opinion
    Interesting hearing your story. Maybe you are 'lower middle class'? I only suggest that based on the fact that some elements of your upbringing have been working class and some, particularly your more recent life, have aspects of lower middle class. What do you think?

ReputationRep:

Readers are fairly high on the greasy university pole, is your Dad a Reader at an upper type of university like an RG one or similar? If he is and given that your Mum is a Doctor, I would kind of place you as an upper middle, maybe even if your Dad isn't at a top uni. No snobbishness intended, just trying to be objective. :cool:
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)

Good to share, but it doesn't work that well on a student site. That box also omits some of the major questions used to categorise into the grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Good to share, but it doesn't work that well on a student site. That box also omits some of the major questions used to categorise into the grades.
    I remember reading that statisticians used to automatically grade all university students as C1, but this appears to be drifting somewhat - apparently universities grade them according to the social class indicators of their parental background and marketing companies believe students at the 'top' universities to be more towards the upper end of middle than at lowlier universities.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I remember reading that statisticians used to automatically grade all university students as C1, but this appears to be drifting somewhat - apparently universities grade them according to the social class indicators of their parental background and marketing companies believe students at the 'top' universities to be more towards the upper end of middle than at lowlier universities.

I thought that was graduate? Otherwise it used to be an E. As you say, kinda hard to keep on top of now though, there are some people at Uni who are undoubtedly upper class and some who are distinctly working class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    I thought that was graduate? Otherwise it used to be an E. As you say, kinda hard to keep on top of now though, there are some people at Uni who are undoubtedly upper class and some who are distinctly working class
    Really, it wasn't all university students living away from home who were graded C1? Why would it have been E when that was traditionally regarded as penniless and on benefits, etc? Or was it that we were just considered 'ungraded'?

There is huge social division at college and between colleges, like it or not, that's just reality really.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.