What social class do you consider yourself to be? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Working Class.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    working class

ReputationRep:
    Working class.

I'd say class is fluid - if I was earning £60k a year after uni I wouldn't say I was working class (for example..)

ReputationRep:
    Lower middle class.

ReputationRep:
    Lower middle.

Neither of my parents went to uni, and although we can afford the occassional luxury, we only go on holiday once every four years or so to somewhere cheap in the UK, and really have to watch what we spend on everything. The only reason we have the house we do is because we live in one of the cheaper areas of England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Working class.

I'd say class is fluid - if I was earning £60k a year after uni I wouldn't say I was working class (for example..)
    I agree that class is fluid, but I think there's many other factors than just income that determine class (such as beliefs, attitudes and choices)

ReputationRep:
    Well my family was homeless when I was 11-12, and then I was homeless when my parents disowned me when I was 17. We always constantly struggled for money... so I definitely came from the lowest class of family possible in the UK. I'm at uni now though and not struggling at all, so does that mean my class has changed? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpottedZebra)
    It's an interesting question. Some people believe that you stay the class you are born, and other people say that you can change class according to changing qualifications, lifestyle, beliefs etc.
    My dad for example grew up in a very working class family and went on to graduate with a doctorate, does this make him now middle class? Or do his working class roots make him working class for the rest of his life? That's a hard question to answer.
    Can't you be a bit of both? I've always thought that throughout my childhood I was on the line of working class/middle class and now I think that I'm bang inbetween middle class and upper class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpottedZebra)
    I agree that class is fluid, but I think there's many other factors than just income that determine class (such as beliefs, attitudes and choices)
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zizi11)
    Can't you be a bit of both? I've always thought that throughout my childhood I was on the line of working class/middle class and now I think that I'm bang inbetween middle class and upper class.
    Yeah I think you can be on the border, I'd say it's a scale and not distinct categories

ReputationRep:
    Going by the wikipedia definition, middle middle class.

ReputationRep:
    Probably upper class tbh. My dad's in the top tax bracket and even though he says he votes greens i bet he votes tory and keeps it quiet.

ReputationRep:
    Mammalia

ReputationRep:
    Not sure really. I sort of border them all.

My Mum comes from a fairly working class family that managed to work their way up to a comfy middle class lifestyle. My Dad was also working class but also managed to work his way up to make a fairly reasonable living. Neither of my parents went to university and neither did any of my grandparents or their parents.

We don't exactly have a lot of money but we're not poor either. I one a scholarship to attend a boarding school free of charge so my accent is fairly posh and most of my friends are upper middle class, yet I'd say I was more lower middle class because of my background.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    upper/uppermiddle probabaly more to upper middle bracket, good upbringing, brought up with not really allot of worry to do with money. Enjoyed my share of holidays and treats without going so overboard to ruin views and create a decent work ethic, I know where i want to be in my future and how much work I need to do etc..

I didnt personally go to private school because we used to not live remotely near one, my younger brother does now as we moved. In terms of my own views, quite conservative but with more modern views I guess.. probabaly swing more towards upper middle Tbh.

ReputationRep:
    My family have struggled loads, we used to get our heating and electric cut off all the time, we nearly had bailiffs sent round etc. However both my parents have been to university, and on my dad's side he is the second generation to have done so. My mum is a social worker. I'm now at university, the third generation to have gone there. My mum's pay is slightly above average.

I'd say we are solidly middle class. I don't really count financial struggle as being part of it personally, I only look at the type of job you hold. Many people struggle with finances, those born into huge estates with acres of land even struggle. That doesn't exactly make them working class though.

ReputationRep:
    Working class at birth to around 10 or 11, then lower middle and now middle middle as my parents affluence has increased.

Now live in a detatched in a nice area of the South East and attend a good school (not private though), however neither parents went to uni both of whom were immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    Middle middle class.

My family originates from lower class all round, until two or three generations back.

ReputationRep:
    Upper middle.
    I base that on my own lifestyle and education, and my parents wealth/properties, education, lifestyle and sense of culture. My parents don't have super high incomes, but they own a lot of properties.
    I wouldn't really call someone "upper class" unless they are actually aristocracy.

ReputationRep:
    Lower Middle

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.