Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What social class do you consider yourself to be? Watch

ReputationRep:
    A full-blown Wiki-war is upon us, ladies and gentlemen. :catfight:

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Really? How about the Bransons then. Would you say they are middle class? :confused:
    Yes. The class system has absolutely nothing to do with money. For example, many working class people are significantly better off than middle class families. The Rooneys are working class. They make several million pounds a year.

My mum was born and raised in a small "close knit" village, from a well known and extremely "straight down the middle" class family. She currently lives in the same village - in a council house, on disability benefits, and is an alcoholic. To those "in the know" about the village, though, she will never be anything other than middle class.

Likewise, I myself have started my own distinctly "middle class" family - my job would technically be considered lower-middle but we live in a very working class area, and I know for a fact that a lot of the tradesmen who live around here and work in areas such as construction and other manual labour (working class) make far more money than I do.

ReputationRep:
    Just a suggestion: if there can be this much disagreement over who's above whom, it may be that, anywhere above the middle/ upper middle divide, class distinctions don't mean very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almost_instinct)
    A full-blown Wiki-war is upon us, ladies and gentlemen. :catfight:
    It was edited by an IP number, they never win in battles against experienced editors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Just a suggestion: if there can be this much disagreement over who's above whom, it may be that, anywhere above the middle/ upper middle divide, class distinctions don't mean very much.
    Oooo. Not so! They matter as much if not more. There are multiple layers within the upper classes.

ReputationRep:
    It was edited by an IP number, they never win in battles against experienced editors.
    It was a rout then.

They do say that history is written by the victors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almost_instinct)
    It was a rout then.

They do say that history is written by the victors.
    Wikipedia battles can get jolly fierce though, try editing something in the areas about Israel/Palestine. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia battles can get jolly fierce though, try editing something in the areas about Israel/Palestine. :rolleyes:
    I imagine the Nakba can get pretty interesting.

"In 1948, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians were forcefully expelled from their homes by Israeli forces."

"In 1948, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians willingly left their villages in order to make way for the return of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland. During these blessedly peaceful months, the abounding generosity of Israeli soldiers in handing out candy and exchanging pleasantries with the Palestinians was a source of comfort to all."

Is that it?

ReputationRep:
    Looks like someone's been busy correcting you in Wikipedia already.
    That would be me. I put the editing banner up.

Article seemed to be full of baloney, with sources being extreme one way or the other...

Edit: Oops, thought you were talking about this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_...United_Kingdom. If anyone's got any decent source material, please let me know

ReputationRep:
    Really? How about the Bransons then. Would you say they are middle class? :confused:
    It's hard... Alan Sugar is probably Upper Class now; what with his peerage and everything. It's difficult to combine the economic and social aspects, if you base it solely on income, then Branson would be Upper Class. But socially, he's just very successful Upper Middle Class. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Good to share, but it doesn't work that well on a student site. That box also omits some of the major questions used to categorise into the grades.
    I was presuming that you could say the chief income earner was your parent(s).
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    I was presuming that you could say the chief income earner was your parent(s).

Makes sense, but not always the case. Though I suppose the likelihood of a parent above the E category not providing anything to their kid is pretty low

ReputationRep:
    Middle middle - upper middle

Based on parents income, private education, number of holidays abroad per year, size of house, amount and cost of material goods, both parents have good cars and me and my brother and sister have all been bought cars too, they put deposits on my brother's and sister's houses, paid for their weddings.... etc.

Also moral values, e.g. my family value education and qualifications, I've always been encouraged to read, I learnt to play 5 musical instruments etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hard to point out a particular class really. I have always lived with my Mother who for over 15 years has remained underemployed due to health issues, my Father would probably be deemed as middle class, he owns a relatively expensive car with a decently sized house and has a 'large' disposable income, many have often perceived my position as one of the 'underclass', however wrong or right that may be. Although class should be economically defined in origin, I often see class in more cultural terms regarding a set of norms, values and attitudes(I'm simplifying here.) If I went by this I would probably say upper working/lower middle. I believe class is a relative matter that doesn't really have an objective criteria anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philosophizingnerd)
    I believe class is a relative matter that doesn't really have an objective criteria anyway.
    There are objective consequences.

ReputationRep:
    My mums family were stinking rich aristocratic cigar-smoking old-hat types and at one point owned half of the headrow in Leeds. My dads family came from a very humble working class place just outside of glasgow where most people were employed in the now non-existent shipyards.

One thing led to another and everything went tits up at least 10 years ago, my dad has been mostly unemploymed, had to sell the house, really did approach rock bottom, I've had to work and pay for my own stuff since I was 17. What class am I in? Because I've seen both both sides!

I prefer to judge people by their attitudes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    probably middle middle class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Well, I edited it and it now speaks truth:

Feel free to appeal to wikipedia, everybody

edit: the relevant part of the article on the class structure of the UK reads:

Your edit has been removed again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    Yes. The class system has absolutely nothing to do with money. For example, many working class people are significantly better off than middle class families. The Rooneys are working class. They make several million pounds a year.

My mum was born and raised in a small "close knit" village, from a well known and extremely "straight down the middle" class family. She currently lives in the same village - in a council house, on disability benefits, and is an alcoholic. To those "in the know" about the village, though, she will never be anything other than middle class.

Likewise, I myself have started my own distinctly "middle class" family - my job would technically be considered lower-middle but we live in a very working class area, and I know for a fact that a lot of the tradesmen who live around here and work in areas such as construction and other manual labour (working class) make far more money than I do.
    In your post there is a HUGE implicit assumption that it is impossible to change classes.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's really complicated. I have been told we are underclass because redundancy has led to me having to accept a job at significantly lower pay meaning we rely on top up benefits to survive.

However I'd like to think of myself as at least working class because I DO actually work. I am university educated, have professional qualifications, will be a post-grad student soon (hopefully).

To complicate it further historically my Dad was in management so probably lower middle or at least upper working class. My grandparents ran their own business and had done for a few generations back, there's even a Baronet and a few other people in the family.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.