Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Getting on the motorway. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Stopping on a slip road is incredibly dangerous, both because there may be inattentive drivers behind and because once you've stopped, you will inevitably join the motorway very slowly which can also cause problems.

Ideally you'll alter your speed on the slip road according to the speed of traffic and merge in.

Failing this (which should be a very rare occurrence) I'd use the hard shoulder, but it is important to be aware of stationary vehicles which may be parked there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefunktopus69)
    Errr, really?

Part 3: Joining the motorway (259)

Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway
    check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
    not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
    stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
    remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

https://www.gov.uk/motorways-253-to-...e-motorway-259
    In Highway Code terminology, "should not" is not the same as "MUST not". I'd much rather contradict the HC's advice (not all of the HC is law) if it was safe to do so in order to maximise safety.

I have never been in a situation where I have even considered having to use the hard shoulder to join a motorway. But, if that situation were to arise, I would confidently do so even if I had a marked police car behind me (I suspect they'd do the same)

ReputationRep:
    I had my first experience on the motorway yesterday, everything was going fine, no problems.....until I tried to leave. Those huge exit roundabouts confused me and I just kept taking the wrong exit and ending up BACK on the motorway :facepalm:. I got to where I was going in the end though

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.