Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    hi not sure if im doing this right as its my first time on here but i really need my question answered asap.

basically im currently studying 4 as levels however i will not get the grades i need to get into university so im thinking of transferring and doing a btec in childcare however my mum is telling me i wont be able to go on to teacher training with just a childcare btec?!??? is this true as some people are saying i can and some say you NEED alevels.

i really dont know what to do im currently studying as maths, english lit, business and theatre studies but im getting grade Ds most the time HELP! i want to be a primary teacher what can i do? is childcare btec an option?

ReputationRep:
    My friends doing an access course to get into Uni and wants to be a primary school teacher. It's only one year and I think it's mainly coursework rather than exams (however I'm not too sure). How old are you?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    You need to have a level 2 or equivalent in maths and English and it tends to help as well if you have a qualification or experience in the area you want to teach.

If you want to be a primary teacher you'll need to have a good all round knowledge so having a-levels in maths and English will help with that, I think if you drop out to do child care if might reflect badly on you

Also to be a teacher you need to do a primary education PGCE, you can't teach with just a child care btec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aries1992)
    My friends doing an access course to get into Uni and wants to be a primary school teacher. It's only one year and I think it's mainly coursework rather than exams (however I'm not too sure). How old are you?

im 17. what type of course is it? ive never heard of that before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elizabethjags)
    im 17. what type of course is it? ive never heard of that before.
    It's a level 3 qualification (equivalent to a levels). There are different pathways depending on what you want to do. You would need to look at your local colleges website and see what pathways they offer. I know my college has an age restriction of 19 however.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_course

ReputationRep:
    I start my teacher training in September and I don't have any A levels. I started as a mature student by doing an Access to HE course and then got a place on a degree which I'll finish this year. However, university and providers and really making it more difficult to get into teaching with regards to entry requirements. Perhaps try ringing the admissions dept of a few uni's and asking them. Good luck, I really do think you can do anything if you're genuinely interested and work hard. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.