Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Should the death penalty be outlawed? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should the death penalty be outlawed?
    Yes
    76.47%
    No
    23.53%

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting that although the death penalty is illegal in all of europe opinion polls show that a minority of europeans still support it. Usually around 20-30%. And of course in the United states it is legal but people seem to be divided on it. So considering all this should the death penalty be outlawed? Or are there some crimes so heinous that committing them condemns the individual to death?

ReputationRep:
    This is something were you can't put a simple Yes or No. I think that they should bring back the death penalty for the worst crimes when they have overwhelming evidence they did it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    This is something were you can't put a simple Yes or No. I think that they should bring back the death penalty for the worst crimes when they have overwhelming evidence they did it.
    That is a NO then?

ReputationRep:
    I don't even use the excuse of proven guilt, as an excuse for a death penalty. I think it is simply wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nimrodstower)
    That is a NO then?

That's a yes with certain conditions.

ReputationRep:
    If someone wants to kill , they need to know they won't get 20 years in the cell with maybe 15 if they are 'clean' to go lead a nice life after.

Forget that, they also don't need to think 'oh well, i'll live the life in my jail, sports, tv, xbox, you name it!'

They need to know IF they are found absolutely guilty, they will face the death penalty, and their life will effectively be over.

This topic is complicated though, and there are many sides to the coin and many sides to even one side of the coin.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sentences.html

The KILLER BELOW WORE THAT SHIRT AND TOLD THE FAMILY:

'This hand that pulled the trigger that killed your sons now masturbates to the memory. F*** all of you,' the gunman said, causing those in the audience to gasp in shock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    That's a yes with certain conditions.
    The same system as the Americans, if you are poor or black, maybe some deviant nature, mentally incapable, get the wrong jury in the wrong state, a good chance to get topped. It's still a NO.

ReputationRep:
    No it shouldn't be outlawed.

But it should only be used in certain rare circumstances.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Unnecessary murder is wrong; there need be no grand argument about it. There is no person that 'deserves' the most fundamental of their human rights to be revoked, even when they have revoked it from others. Human rights are not conditional, they are an imperative.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.