The Student Room Group

Avoiding rent over the Summer?

I've been wondering if there's any way of avoiding paying rent on a student property over the Summer? It's a nightmare forking out a grand when you're not living somewhere right?

I've heard of 9/10 month contracts on student places but am pretty sure they're uncommon and hard to come by?

Anyone else have any ideas?
Reply 1
My house next year is a 9 month contract. Typically they do 10 months for that property. We just found a good landlord I suppose. So we move in a week or so before term starts and then move out after the end of exams.

Other houses have half-rent options available over the summer as well. I've seen that on maybe a quarter of the student houses that I've seen online.

You could certainly ask about both options.
Reply 2
Original post by SillyEddy
My house next year is a 9 month contract. Typically they do 10 months for that property. We just found a good landlord I suppose. So we move in a week or so before term starts and then move out after the end of exams.

Other houses have half-rent options available over the summer as well. I've seen that on maybe a quarter of the student houses that I've seen online.

You could certainly ask about both options.

Oh so did you go through a letting agency or straight to landlords?
Reply 3
Original post by joelw
Oh so did you go through a letting agency or straight to landlords?

Through a letting agency. It was funny because they're actually a useless company and they didn't come to the viewing, so the current occupants showed us around. They were the ones who told us the landlord gave them a deal and to ask about it.

Even so, you can ask the agency about it and they'll let you know what offers are available. They might have to ask the landlord, but still, it's not hard to ask.
In halls I paid from September - June. Im now in a shared house and I'm on 12months contract, though have friends which pay half rent in the summer who live elsewhere. It's certainly not unusual to have a 12month contract.
Reply 5
Everyone I know where I live (Norwich) has a 12 month contract and has to pay full rent the entire time. It may not be possible to get out of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending