Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between "English Language and Literature" and "English Literature"? Will my current choice affect my university choices?

I will be studying Politics in university... But which English course would be more relevant to Politics?

Any comments or suggestions is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    They're both good but utterly useless beyond Alevel

ReputationRep:
    Since you're not planning to do literature in university, I doubt it'll make much of a difference. Take the one you think you'll enjoy more

ReputationRep:
    Taking English Literature only is very useful in terms of developing critical analysis and writing skills. I'm taking English Literature HL and so far I'm really enjoying the course. However, I wouldn't advise anyone to take the subject, especially at HL, if they're indifferent about taking that or English Literature and Language, simply because you really have to enjoy the subject for all the skills to be developed which will get you to a grade 6 or 7.

As far as I know English Language and Literature also addresses social issues with the media, etc, which may be helpful if you're wanting to study Politics after.

The way I see it, both could be helpful to you in this situation, I would say English Literature more towards the skills here though.

I hope this is helpful

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.