Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I currently go to a high school which has been placed in 'Special Measures' after failing a recent Ofsted.

My completed GCSE's so far include (took these ones in year 10):
    Maths: A
    English Language: A
    English Literature: A
    Chemistry: A
    Biology: A

And my predicted grades for this summer:
    Physics: A*
    Statistics: A*
    Geography: A*
    Spanish: A
    Social Religious Studies: A*
    History: A

A-Levels that I have applied for:
    -Chemistry
    -Biology
    -Physics
    -Maths With Statistics
    -Extended Project Qualification

Just want a vague idea if you guys think I would stand a chance for medicine at Oxbridge and/or other leading universities in medicine?
    I'm not sure if my GCSE results are good enough but am wondering if they will take the 'Special Measures' into account?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Providing your A-Levels are sound and you've got a good personal statement and BMAT score- yes.

Entry to medical schools have pretty much identical academics- more and more weighting is being placed upon the non-academic side of the application, understandably too.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thanks for your advice!

Extra curricula wise I:
    Sail (Visit various nationals around the UK)
    Am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do (Have been a reserve for the APTI world squad)
    Play tennis (In a more laid back way)
    Play guitar (am in a band) and also play a little piano
    Also am a sailing instructor

ReputationRep:
    Get some work experience in as well- see if you can shadow some doctors or volunteer at a nursing/residential home!

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks a lot! Ill look into that!

I also have an RYA Work Place First Aid Qualification if that would be of any use for applying?

ReputationRep:
    Medical Schools don't care for endless lists of achievements- any idiot can achieve something in life. What they want to know is what you've learnt from those achievements.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge is overrated :P
    The best medical schools are in africa and problem-zone-countries. Nothing beats huge amount of patients needing help and weak ethical regulations for your medical education.

.. I know..completely off-topic.

ReputationRep:
    Those GCSE grades really aren't high enough for oxford med - you need very close to 100% A* for GCSE to even get an interview (im not exaggerating - i have an offer for oxford next year and have friends with 80% A*'s who were told they were rejected because of this). As for special consideration, you'd probably need to at least get A*'s in chem and bio GCSE.

Cambridge could be an option though, if you get very high (95+) ums scores at AS. Obviously a good/original PS, high BMAT score and good interview technique are also essential.

Medicine is so competitive though, you really have to understand that ALL medical schools are "leading universities", and it is amazing just to get one offer. You're still doing your GCSEs, you still have loads of time so don't panic - just concentrate on getting great GCSEs and work experience for now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sienaiu)
    Hey guys,

I currently go to a high school which has been placed in 'Special Measures' after failing a recent Ofsted.

-Chemistry
    -Biology
    -Physics
    -Maths With Statistics

Just want a vague idea if you guys think I would stand a chance for medicine at Oxbridge and/or other leading universities in medicine?
    I'm not sure if my GCSE results are good enough but am wondering if they will take the 'Special Measures' into account?

Thanks
    Best to email admissions of both Oxford and Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sienaiu)
    Hey guys,

-Chemistry
    -Biology
    -Physics
    -Maths With Statistics

Thanks
    Maybe if you get A*s in all six GCSEs you haven't finished yet. Even for Cambridge who usually cares more about high UMS would want lots of A*s for Medicine. Birmingham wanted seven A*s until last year for Medicine, and most top universities ask for a higher number of A*s for Medicine. Especially Oxford who tend to reject medical applicants with less than seven A*s. But as your school is really, really bad they will take that into account too. Get very strong AS grades and you'll get an interview. Shine in interview and you've got a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the feedback guys all very helpful!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The above poster is correct about Oxford medicine; the statistics are somewhere on their website and the average successful candidate has something like 90% A* grades or better at GCSE, so it's probably better to steer clear of it tbh. I don't know much about Cambridge but providing you get strong AS UMS scores and perform well at interview and in the admissions tests, I don't see why those grades would preclude you. Remember for medicine it is important/essential to get good work experience so I'd look now for a long term volunteering placement (e.g at an elderly care home) and then hospital/GP etc. work experience over the summer.

Best of luck. Oxbridge really doesn't matter when it comes to med school, as far as I am aware.

ReputationRep:
    Once again thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.