Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So I have a test booked in my uni city for the end of April. I'm not feeling too bad about the manoeuvres, however since I'm at home for easter I had a lesson today with a driving instructor I've had previously here. He told me that when you do a parallel park, bay park or reverse round a corner you have to stop the car completely just before the point of turn, do observations, then start again, otherwise it's a serious fault. However my usual instructor in the city where I will be taking the test has never told me to do this and I've just been doing the manoeuvres in one go.

I'm a bit confused now, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether their instructor gets them to stop? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    In my test I had reverse around a corner, and i did it all in one motion, and the examiner didn't really seem to mind, however i was rotating my head pretty much constantly. I did kind of forget that i was supposed to stop, and I wouldn't risk it in your test, you might be unlucky and get a really picky examiner :L

ReputationRep:
    Pause or keep going .... you choose ... it will be a pass as long as it is done safely and in a reasonable time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PointeShoes-x)
    So I have a test booked in my uni city for the end of April. I'm not feeling too bad about the manoeuvres, however since I'm at home for easter I had a lesson today with a driving instructor I've had previously here. He told me that when you do a parallel park, bay park or reverse round a corner you have to stop the car completely just before the point of turn, do observations, then start again, otherwise it's a serious fault. However my usual instructor in the city where I will be taking the test has never told me to do this and I've just been doing the manoeuvres in one go.

I'm a bit confused now, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether their instructor gets them to stop? Thanks.
    I was taught to stop. The whole point of observations is to make sure you don't hit anything - if your car is still moving you'll likely hit whatever's there anyway...
    I guess if you're constantly checking then it should be ok though, just slow down slightly .)

ReputationRep:
    He told me that when you do a parallel park, bay park or reverse round a corner you have to stop the car completely just before the point of turn, do observations, then start again, otherwise it's a serious fault.
    Twaddle.

This is exactly why instructors should not attempt to comment on test marking; most don't know what they're talking about. They are meant to teach you not to commit a fault, but how it is marked should be left to the judges: the examiners.

The requirement is that effective observation should be taken throughout the manoeuvre, which involves reacting appropriately to what is seen. It may be appropriate to stop, or it may not be. If you take too long and block the road longer than necessary, because you stop every few centimetres to make silly exaggerated head movements, that is a fault too.

This video explains the folly of some erroneous instruction out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Twaddle.

This is exactly why instructors should not attempt to comment on test marking; most don't know what they're talking about. They are meant to teach you not to commit a fault, but how it is marked should be left to the judges: the examiners.

The requirement is that effective observation should be taken throughout the manoeuvre, which involves reacting appropriately to what is seen. It may be appropriate to stop, or it may not be. If you take too long and block the road longer than necessary, because you stop every few centimetres to make silly exaggerated head movements, that is a fault too.

This video explains the folly of some erroneous instruction out there.
    Haha the video made me laugh!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Haha the video made me laugh!

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    If you enjoyed my YouTube video 'The Driving Test. Reversing Around a Corner' you will find the others in the series useful, particularly if your instructor is teaching you to pretend to drive instead of simply getting on with it in real time.

See: 'Choosing a Driving Instructor'
    'Independent Driving in the Driving Test'
    'Life, the Universe and Driving Tests'

They are all under my YouTube name of lacontrabasse, and are the distillation of thirty years' experience as a Driving Examiner.

All the best in April.

Victor

ReputationRep:
    My instructor always told me that the examiner is not marking you on the technique you use, but if you can carry out the manoeuvre safely.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.