Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Basically I was rejected by Imperial which is not really much of a surprise considering how competitive the maths course is but the thing is, is that I really wanted to go there for various reasons. I was accepted into Warwick which has arguably a better maths course than Imperial, but I personally dislike the campus and the location, (other reasons too). I really can't see myself going there for the next 4 years.

I have thought about what my options are and have came up with a few ideas. First of all I will take Step II & III this year which aren't required for Warwick, (but are for Imperial). Now in the case that I get A*A*A and a 1 in either Step II or III I have two options:

1) Take a gap year and apply to Cambridge and Imperial with these grades. The fact that I will have achieved them will give me a greater chance of getting in, (although I'm unsure whether the chance of me getting in will outweigh the downside of taking a year out).

2) I'm unsure whether this will work, but is there such an option that I could apply through clearance to Imperial or Cambridge saying how I've achieved their entry grades and ask whether there is any way to get a place for this year?

If I do not achieve the required grades then I would obviously have to go to Warwick and perhaps request a transfer during the year at some point.

What do you guys think? Any advice of what I can do and whether my ideas are possible?

Or do you think I should just man up and be happy that I've got a place from Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    The chances of getting into Imperial/Cambridge through Adjustment/Clearing are somewhere between vanishingly small and zero.

What is the real downside of taking a gap year? ie why not wait and see if you get the A*A*A + Step, then reapply next year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    The chances of getting into Imperial/Cambridge through Adjustment/Clearing are somewhere between vanishingly small and zero.

What is the real downside of taking a gap year? ie why not wait and see if you get the A*A*A + Step, then reapply next year?
    That was one of the options I suggested. I was just wondering if this is something worth doing or whether it doesn't really matter and I should just go to Warwick this year and save myself a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zunari)
    That was one of the options I suggested. I was just wondering if this is something worth doing or whether it doesn't really matter and I should just go to Warwick this year and save myself a year.
    Why go somewhere (Warwick) that you're not really keen on at a cost of around £50k? What's waiting a year compared to going to a university where you really want to study? If I were in your position I know what I would do!

ReputationRep:
    As a warning, Cambridge generally disapproves of gap years for maths applicants (source: my college maths admissions tutor and helping at a thousand open days) unless you can demonstrate that you will be doing mathematical stuff during the year to keep yourself fluent. Make sure this is clear on your PS if you choose to do this.

Edit: Also said here, though you can see some colleges are less strict about it: http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ions/guide.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zunari)
    Basically I was rejected by Imperial which is not really much of a surprise considering how competitive the maths course is but the thing is, is that I really wanted to go there for various reasons. I was accepted into Warwick which has arguably a better maths course than Imperial, but I personally dislike the campus and the location, (other reasons too). I really can't see myself going there for the next 4 years.

I have thought about what my options are and have came up with a few ideas. First of all I will take Step II & III this year which aren't required for Warwick, (but are for Imperial). Now in the case that I get A*A*A and a 1 in either Step II or III I have two options:

1) Take a gap year and apply to Cambridge and Imperial with these grades. The fact that I will have achieved them will give me a greater chance of getting in, (although I'm unsure whether the chance of me getting in will outweigh the downside of taking a year out).

2) I'm unsure whether this will work, but is there such an option that I could apply through clearance to Imperial or Cambridge saying how I've achieved their entry grades and ask whether there is any way to get a place for this year?

If I do not achieve the required grades then I would obviously have to go to Warwick and perhaps request a transfer during the year at some point.

What do you guys think? Any advice of what I can do and whether my ideas are possible?

Or do you think I should just man up and be happy that I've got a place from Warwick?
    I was in a similar situation to that, though less drastic and less competitive universities so it could be different.

I applied to mid ranking universities but then did well in my A-Levels so have taken a gap year and applied to the top universities and got offers and it's all sorted.

The actual gap year though ... it's been SUPER boring, I've just been working full time and I hate it. Unless you can organise to go travelling or something, it's terrible. My reason for taking the gap year was due to the prestige of the universities, rather than that I didn't like the ones I had offers from (as I did like them) but decided I could do better. Warwick though, is a really good university and I'm sure you would come to love it so I wouldn't waste a year of your life for the sake of disliking a campus. But I guess if you really hate it it's your only option as you have no chance of getting into Imperial or Cambridge through clearing.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milienhaus)
    As a warning, Cambridge generally disapproves of gap years for maths applicants (source: my college maths admissions tutor and helping at a thousand open days) unless you can demonstrate that you will be doing mathematical stuff during the year to keep yourself fluent. Make sure this is clear on your PS if you choose to do this.

Edit: Also said here, though you can see some colleges are less strict about it: http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ions/guide.pdf
    :withstupid:

I've also heard of other unis that have similar ideas, so you'd need to plan your gap year carefully if you choose to take one.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.