ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KishoreV)
    Hi Guys,

Could you please help me answer this question:

a^0.31 = (ab)^c

express c in terms of b?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Thanks in advance
    What chapter of maths is this question in? Because this will normally give you an idea of how to solve it. For example, I straight away thought to use logs, but the title says in indices, and in edexcel maths, these are two different chapters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheldonWannabe)
    What chapter of maths is this question in? Because this will normally give you an idea of how to solve it. For example, I straight away thought to use logs, but the title says in indices, and in edexcel maths, these are two different chapters?
    Hi Sheldon, sorry this is not in any books. Its one of the problems I'm trying to solve my self to understand indices better.

Could you please give how you would answer this using logs?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sheldon, sorry this is not in any books. Its one of the problems I'm trying to solve my self to understand indices better.

Where is this question from? And are you sure this is solvable just using the laws of indices?

ReputationRep:

I don't think you can rearrange it to find c using only laws of indices, but this is how to do it using the laws of logs. (if you're not familiar with log laws it might be a bit strange)

a^0.31 = (ab)^c
    0.31loga = cloga + clogb
    c(loga + logb) = 0.31loga
    c = (0.31loga)/(loga + logb)

Knowing me, there's probably a silly error in their some where. But I can't think of any other way to solve it anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can rearrange it to find c using only laws of indices, but this is how to do it using the laws of logs. (if you're not familiar with log laws it might be a bit strange)

a^0.31 = (ab)^c
    0.31loga = cloga + clogb
    c(loga + logb) = 0.31loga
    c = (0.31loga)/(loga + logb)

Knowing me, there's probably a silly error in their some where. But I can't think of any other way to solve it anyway!
    But you've still got 'a' in your final line, don't you need to get rid of this so that c is expressed in terms of b?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Could you please help me answer this question:

a^0.31 = (ab)^c

express c in terms of b?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Thanks in advance

Are a and b co-prime
    is there any other information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username_valid)
    But you've still got 'a' in your final line, don't you need to get rid of this so that c is expressed in terms of b?
    haha! sorry, I thought it said in terms of a AND b, I'm such an idiot, I thought it seemed to easy. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    Either the question is wrong or info is missing. c must depend on a.

ReputationRep:
    haha! sorry, I thought it said in terms of a AND b, I'm such an idiot, I thought it seemed to easy. :dry:
    Aha no worries, I've made worse mistakes. I don't think that question could be answered anyway unless I'm missing something haha
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Is this a "real" question, or is it one you have made up yourself to try to test your understanding? If it's the latter, then you may have invented something that can't be simplified in the way you want. If it's the former, then as others have pointed out, there needs to be more information supplied to arrive at a solution.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.