Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

good first date ideas? Watch

I met a guy at a flat party last night at uni and we got chatting and he seems really nice. i was very drunk and he was very sober :P but we chatted for a few hours and it was good. but we both went back to our flats and then he added me on facebook and he messaged me saying it was nice to meet me and to have a good easter etc and I replied saying similar stuff...
    By the looks of his facebook he hasnt got a girlfriend but i cant be 100% sure but he didnt mention her at all. I'd really like to meet up and go on a date with him while we're both sober :P
    Is it weird for me to ask as I'm the girl?
    Wheres a good place for a first date? Food, cinema, somewhere else? He doesn't drink so a pub isnt good, but cinema means you cant really talk. Any advice would be awesome.

Tldr: Where shall I go for a first date?

ReputationRep:
    I saw a thread about someone going to a museum, I thought that was a good idea.

any others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I met a guy at a flat party last night at uni and we got chatting and he seems really nice. i was very drunk and he was very sober :P but we chatted for a few hours and it was good. but we both went back to our flats and then he added me on facebook and he messaged me saying it was nice to meet me and to have a good easter etc and I replied saying similar stuff...
    By the looks of his facebook he hasnt got a girlfriend but i cant be 100% sure but he didnt mention her at all. I'd really like to meet up and go on a date with him while we're both sober :P
    Wheres a good place for a first date? Food, cinema, somewhere else? He doesn't drink so a pub isnt good, but cinema means you cant really talk. Any advice would be awesome.

No its not weird... I'm sure he'd be flattered if you asked him out, I'd go for food tbh, Cinema is better on later dates personally

ReputationRep:
    A meal might be a bit too far ahead for some, some people see that as more personal or romantic, maybe a coffee? or going to a market or some other local event, easter is soon, any local attractions?

I recommend coffee or a cafe (assuming if one of you doesnt like coffee?) gives a nice informal, comfortable atmosphere where you can sit and talk

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PKMN TRN JAM)
    I saw a thread about someone going to a museum, I thought that was a good idea.
    Museum? seriously.. ? you thought that was a good idea?

OP just be simple, go pub, get a drink and order some food. Nothing romantic..

ReputationRep:

Nope, it's not weird. Even though most people say it's not good for first dates, I went to the cinema for mine - I also met my boyfriend at a party prior to this. It was great and I really enjoyed it. We got the train there and back together aswell and went to McDonalds afterwords, so we could still chat and learn all about each other and all that. I definitely think going for a meal for your first date though would be very daunting and to leave that for later dates if all goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseaFCCC)
    Museum? seriously.. ? you thought that was a good idea?

OP just be simple, go pub, get a drink and order some food. Nothing romantic..
    Well it was for two history students, and museums are great, full of interesting things that provide conversation topics, have you even been to one?

(Original post by Klutzz)
    Nope, it's not weird. Even though most people say it's not good for first dates, I went to the cinema for mine - I also met my boyfriend at a party prior to this. It was great and I really enjoyed it. We got the train there and back together aswell and went to McDonalds afterwords, so we could still chat and learn all about each other and all that. I definitely think going for a meal for your first date though would be very daunting and to leave that for later dates if all goes well
    ah okay thanks. yeah i figured a meal may be a bit too much for a first date. at least with the cinema we can leave straight after if its awkward. he actually has asked me to the cinema when we go back to uni after easter, sort of as friends but maybe a date, im not really sure. we've been messaging each other on facebook everyday since we met so hopefully he's interested :P

ReputationRep:
    I'd hint at it, rather than suggest it outright, and always give the guy space to demonstrate a healthy level of interest, ideas, and decisiveness re: asking you out

ReputationRep:
    I always say i'll take you to my favourite bar, you take me to yours But yes lead up to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PKMN TRN JAM)
    Well it was for two history students, and museums are great, full of interesting things that provide conversation topics, have you even been to one?
    wow :bird:

ReputationRep:
    do something fun like those duck paddle boat things? bike ride? roller disco? ice skating?

these are quite weird maybe ah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have recently found an ideal first date place.

It is very nice coffee shop which, as well as serving bloody fantastic coffee, also serves alcohol. You won't get a 'normal' drinks there - they sell less well known but much tastier beverages. The uniqueness of the place is a great talking point.

The real benefit is that you can invite the girl out for coffee, but also change to alcohol should you both feel up for it. The place is also surrounded by a few eateries too.

It is near Waterloo and also has cats.

Having found the venue, I just need to find the date...

ReputationRep:
    A coffee is always good for starters,then take it from there.

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere cute and quiet like a doughnut cafe. ((((LOL, don't even know if they exist?))))

No but seriously, a muffin bar or something/ starbucks.

Somewhere you do less eating and waiting for food and more taaaaaaalking.

Might seem really simple, but cheaper and more effective in terms of improving your relationship.

ReputationRep:
    go for a coffee! if you're not sure whether he has a girlfriend or interested, this is a great casual meet-up that won't appear too date like

(Original post by InnerTemple)
    I have recently found an ideal first date place.

It is very nice coffee shop which, as well as serving bloody fantastic coffee, also serves alcohol. You won't get a 'normal' drinks there - they sell less well known but much tastier beverages. The uniqueness of the place is a great talking point.

The real benefit is that you can invite the girl out for coffee, but also change to alcohol should you both feel up for it. The place is also surrounded by a few eateries too.

It is near Waterloo and also has cats.

Having found the venue, I just need to find the date...
    I am the girl. He doesn't drink alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    From experience bars are always a winner, regardless of alcohol. I mean, they have soft drinks, virgin cocktails and food after all. Go to a quirky bar, one with something a little extra, for example I went to Bar Kick in Shoreditch with a guy where they have table football.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't drink alcohol.
    Oh dear...

Coffee then?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.