Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Having taken a gap year, I'm fortunate enough to have 4 unconditional offers, such a stark contrast to last year, so people who are unsuccessful; it isn't the end of the world and have hope. Gap year is awesome.

Need help deciding which uni I should go with

Sheffield
    Great city - calm (peak district) and lots to do
    Solid integrated course
    Full dissection
    Great night outs and best student union
    Really early clinical experience

Bristol
    Traditional suits me
    bit more expensive but still amazingly fun
    good intercalated scheme

BSMS
    focus on anatomy
    Early clinical
    Great city and known for it
    Full disection

Liverpool
    Lively city
    Good new facilities for self studying
    PBL not really for me but manageable
    Again lots to do and many societies

At the moment I'm swaying towards Sheffield because of its course and the city but just wanted different perspective from other people.

ReputationRep:
    Woah congrats! Sounds like your a really good applicant and good advice for gap yearers like myself too. Seems like you prefer Sheffield, I hear its pretty crazy and wild over there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soldier99)
    Having taken a gap year, I'm fortunate enough to have 4 unconditional offers, such a stark contrast to last year, so people who are unsuccessful; it isn't the end of the world and have hope. Gap year is awesome.

Sheffield
    Solid integrated course
    Full dissection

Bristol
    Traditional suits me
    good intercalated scheme

BSMS
    focus on anatomy
    Early clinical
    Full disection

Liverpool
    Lively city

At the moment I'm swaying towards Sheffield because of its course and the city but just wanted different perspective from other people.
    Why did you get negged? Certain people on TSR... tut tut.

Congratulations!! 4/4 - That's pretty amazing. I vote for Sheffield just because it's near the Peak District (this is possibly the most unhelpful advice anyone can give you but I dislike rowdy cities)

If you can/have the time, why not visit these schools to help you decide? They are all fantastic universities so follow your gut instinct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrhythmia)
    Why did you get negged? Certain people on TSR... tut tut.

Congratulations!! 4/4 - That's pretty amazing. I vote for Sheffield just because it's near the Peak District (this is possibly the most unhelpful advice anyone can give you but I dislike rowdy cities)

If you can/have the time, why not visit these schools to help you decide? They are all fantastic universities so follow your gut instinct.
    Thank you! people probably think I'm boasting but I'm not, just wanted some extra advice from pro's like you. I've had the chance to roam around and see accommodation during my interviews and felt most at home at Sheffield, the people are so nice too, especially with their yorkshire accents haha. The Peak District is such a good way to unwind too. Probabaly going to firm Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    Go for Sheffield!! I know two people doing medicine there and they love it! I think intergrated course is the best personally as it combines all the best bits. Plus Sheffield is great for being a student, people are lovely, good nights out and its cheap!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soldier99)

Sheffield
    Solid integrated course
    Full dissection

Bristol
    Traditional suits me
    good intercalated scheme

BSMS
    focus on anatomy
    Early clinical
    Full disection

Liverpool
    Lively city

That is a nice collection of offers.

My instinct would steer towards BSMS, only because I am a big fan of modern evidence based courses, with a good emphasis on innovative medical education.

However you need to ask your self what else you want from your medical education. All of those courses will make you a very competent foundation doctor, but is that all you want out of your medical training?

If you want a more solid foundation in science I would choose Sheffield or Bristol, especially if you want to go to a university with a bit more history.

Also one that is likely to remain one institution, as BSMS always has the risk of separating during your time there. (I would never have thought that my medical school would decide to become two halfway through my training.)

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.