Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Mechanics - 2 objects collide travelling in the same direction Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me solving these types of problems?

You have 2 objects(A and B) at different masses travelling at 2 different speeds. They are travelling in the same direction. They then collide and move as a single object. F1 is the force B exerts on A, and F2 is the force A exerts on B.

Generally speaking, how would you find the values of F1 and F2?

Am I right in thinking that F1 and F2 are the same due to Newtons 3rd Law?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    You need to think about the conservation of momentum laws which involve both velocity and mass.

So then they collide, which object will pass on its momentum to the other? It's a simple sum.

So now you have the momentum of both objects and their combined direction so rearrange the momentum formula to get the velocity of both.

(Original post by ThatPerson)
    Can someone help me solving these types of problems?

You have 2 objects(A and B) at different masses travelling at 2 different speeds. They are travelling in the same direction. They then collide and move as a single object. F1 is the force B exerts on A, and F2 is the force A exerts on B.

Generally speaking, how would you find the values of F1 and F2?

Am I right in thinking that F1 and F2 are the same due to Newtons 3rd Law?
    Why do you need to find the forces?
    Generally speaking you don't know what these are unless you know the impact time dt of the collision. Then Fdt = change in momentum.
    As this time is unknown you can't find the forces.
    In these problems you are only interested in change in momentum, initial and final velocities, and kinetic energy. You solve them using mass, momentum and velocity. Not force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    Why do you need to find the forces?
    Generally speaking you don't know what these are unless you know the impact time dt of the collision. Then Fdt = change in momentum.
    As this time is unknown you can't find the forces.
    In these problems you are only interested in change in momentum, initial and final velocities, and kinetic energy. You solve them using mass, momentum and velocity. Not force.
    I actually think that I've misread the question.

A hint/assumption given in the question is:

"F1 and F2 are not the magnitudes of the forces, remember, but the actual forces themselves."

So, what does this mean?

ReputationRep:
    I actually think that I've misread the question.

A hint/assumption given in the question is:

"F1 and F2 are not the magnitudes of the forces, remember, but the actual forces themselves."

So, what does this mean?
    Forces are vectors. They have both magnitude and direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Forces are vectors. They have both magnitude and direction.
    Oh.... So it is 1 and -1, hence the answer for my specific question is -1. :/ oops

ReputationRep:
    Oh.... So it is 1 and -1, hence the answer for my specific question is -1. :/ oops
    Lol it happens all the time

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.