Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

New league draft Watch

• View Poll Results: When should we do this draft?
    Now
    66.67%
    When the season ends
    33.33%

Hey guys, I've talked briefly about a new draft with Mastermind', and this was my issue: what I really wanted (and I mentioned this towards the end of the last draft thread) was to hold a draft during the league's summer break (May-August). If the last two drafts are anything to go by, one edition of the game takes at least two months to complete, and is generally pretty taxing on the players; if we started one now, it would end towards the end of the season (at the earliest), and then it might be too soon for a lot of interested people to participate (or even hold much interest) in another one right away. So my proposal is to hold off another draft until the season ends. Would that be okay with everyone?

I'll also admit that my original plan was to start another draft some time in February, but I dallied and got to the point where I thought it would be too late. A general sort of schedule that I think might work for the future would look something like:

Early May to mid/late July
    Mid-October to late December
    Mid-February to late April

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Hey guys, I've talked briefly about a new draft with Mastermind', and this was my issue: what I really wanted (and I mentioned this towards the end of the last draft thread) was to hold a draft during the league's summer break (May-August). If the last two drafts are anything to go by, one edition of the game takes at least two months to complete, and is generally pretty taxing on the players; if we started one now, it would end towards the end of the season (at the earliest), and then it might be too soon for a lot of interested people to participate (or even hold much interest) in another one right away. So my proposal is to hold off another draft until the season ends. Would that be okay with everyone?

I'll also admit that my original plan was to start another draft some time in February, but I dallied and got to the point where I thought it would be too late. A general sort of schedule that I think might work for the future would look something like:

Early May to mid/late July
    Mid-October to late December
    Mid-February to late April
    I do not understand, please elaborate the bit in bold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    My top three drafts to do would be a 90's draft, a young players draft as you're doing and an all time draft with a max of one player per Nation (which I think will be the most fun and tactical).
    One player per nation would be amazing when it is done. It will be interesting which Brazilian players would be picked. A team consisting of players such as Puskas, Yashin, Baresi, Cryuff, Di Stefano etc ... Would be quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    I think he means that he wanted to start another draft when the season finished. Based on previous drafts, he thinks this draft will probably finish around the end of the season and so he thinks people will not want to do another draft straight away.

ReputationRep:
    a young players draft as you're doing
    Not exactly young players as some players who are 30 are still eligible

- If we start a game now, it would probably end towards the end of the season.
    - If it ends around that time, it is likely that most of the people involved would not be interested in playing another game immediately.
    - I think it would be really good to have an edition (or two) of the drafts game during the off season, as there are no games to discuss then, etc

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I think he means that he wanted to start another draft when the season finished. Based on previous drafts, he thinks this draft will probably finish around the end of the season and so he thinks people will not want to do another draft straight away.
    Got'cha

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    - If we start a game now, it would probably end towards the end of the season.
    - If it ends around that time, it is likely that most of the people involved would not be interested in playing another game immediately.
    - I think it would be really good to have an edition (or two) of the drafts game during the off season, as there are no games to discuss then, etc

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.
    Sure does, sounds reasonable however, it is all down to what the majority want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Says the player who had an insane midfield in the last draft
    And still lost! The Premier League draft was very competitive though, some great teams.

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly young players as some players who are 30 are still eligible
    You know what I mean. What about B teams. What will be the ruling on that as some B teams are in their respective Leagues.

ReputationRep:
    And still lost! The Premier League draft was very competitive though, some great teams.
    I was then player with the weakest defence, so I will try my best to ensure that doesn't happen again in the next draft.

Got'cha

Sure does, sounds reasonable however, it is all down to what the majority want to do.
    If most people are intent on having it now, it will probably happen; the above was a request rather than a directive. I think this game is pretty fantastic in terms of both enjoyment and the sort of debate/analysis it brings, so I'd really like to make its administration on TSR a bit more systematic (which is why we've left the Drafts sub-forum up for now). So I would ask that people have the patience to hold this off until the end of the season.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys want to do?

Start this one or delay it till after the season ends

ReputationRep:
    Question- is our place in the drafts reserved for the end of season one?

ReputationRep:
    If we did it now we'd have to make sure we started quickly and got through a lot in the next couple of weeks, when people have a break from uni/college whatever. I'd be up for that but if everyone isn't and it drags into May the whole thing will grind to a standstill around exams.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys want to do?

Start this one or delay it till after the season ends
    Not sure about others, but i'd prefer one now tbh. I do think the point is valid that people may not be up to another one straight after this one, if the plan is to do it again in May. However i'm sure some people will still be up for it again, and it would also give other members a chance to be involved if they miss out on this one. Also, people are still in football mode now, and might go off on holidays etc. and i know people have exams around May/early June too. I don't know what everyone thinks, but i guess i'm just being selfish as i didn't partake in either of the previous drafts due to time constraints.

ReputationRep:
    I'm working a few days next week but apart from that I'll be stuck at home doing my dissy so I'll be on my laptop quite a lot. I personally don't mind if we do it now or in a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    so should we do it now?

If so, we still need 3 MORE PLAYERS!

(Original post by Louis.)
    If we did it now we'd have to make sure we started quickly and got through a lot in the next couple of weeks, when people have a break from uni/college whatever. I'd be up for that but if everyone isn't and it drags into May the whole thing will grind to a standstill around exams.
    I'd say the most recent draft was fairly efficient (no major stoppages) and that took just over two months. :dontknow:

(Original post by DH1')
    Not sure about others, but i'd prefer one now tbh. I do think the point is valid that people may not be up to another one straight after this one, if the plan is to do it again in May. However i'm sure some people will still be up for it again, and it would also give other members a chance to be involved if they miss out on this one. Also, people are still in football mode now, and might go off on holidays etc. and i know people have exams around May/early June too. I don't know what everyone thinks, but i guess i'm just being selfish as i didn't partake in either of the previous drafts due to time constraints.
    The objective is to keep people in football mode in the off-season with this game. :p: And given the level of overlap between participants in the first draft and the second - and indeed, now continuing into the third - I have to say I'd be a little worried about getting enough participants for two games in quick succession.

The issue of May exams is valid but could probably be scheduled around. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind either. I think there's enough time to complete this before schedules get busy for students.

ReputationRep:
    I was then player with the weakest defence, so I will try my best to ensure that doesn't happen again in the next draft.
    Yeah that probably cost you, along with not dealing with the core of the team first. After Ronaldo, Henry and Cantona went, it was all about the midfield for me. I think I had the strongest team going into the first round, but my additions after the first two rounds weren't as strong as the others. I guess I'll have to think about building a team with the right formation that caters to top players if/when I bring them in at later rounds.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.