Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Someone from school opened my letter.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Basically, I had a bit of an arguement with my therapist last week and she sent me a letter and a birthday card just to clear the air a bit.

I see her in school(she doesn't work for the school, but is from an external organisation)

so she sent the letter clearly addressed to me to my sixth form so I could recieve it.

When I was handed the letter from my form tutor, it was ripped open and so someone had read it.

It had some VERY personal things written in there and i'm feel so exposed and paranoid as i'm not sure who opened it.

Before I could say anything to my tutor, she immediatly began justifying herself saying it was already open when she picked it up from the pile this morning.

I feel so upset, betrayed and exposed.I am sooo embarassed because of what the letter said.

WHat should I do to get to the bottom of this?

many thanks.

Just to add the letter was stamped and sent to the school.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest an 'enquiry' to get to the bottom of this. I'm being serious, if it were me, I would want to know who'd done it and I'd want them punished. Completley irresponsible of the person who did it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hira233595)
    Hi,

Basically, I had a bit of an arguement with my therapist last week and she sent me a letter and a birthday card just to clear the air a bit.

I see her in school(she doesn't work for the school, but is from an external organisation)

so she sent the letter clearly addressed to me to my sixth form so I could recieve it.

When I was handed the letter from my form tutor, it was ripped open and so someone had read it.

It had some VERY personal things written in there and i'm feel so exposed and paranoid as i'm not sure who opened it.

Before I could say anything to my tutor, she immediatly began justifying herself saying it was already open when she picked it up from the pile this morning.

I feel so upset, betrayed and exposed.I am sooo embarassed because of what the letter said.

many thanks.
    Maybe ask you therapist exactly who she gave the letter too.. and ask her what to do about the situation.

That is very irresponsible of the form tutor to let such a private document be opened like that.

Does the tutor know you have these sessions? Maybe she opened it by mistake as she is supposed to have some authority over you too?

I don't think you should feel embarrassed.. just act like nothings happened and if someone mentions something then you know who opened it.

ReputationRep:
    That's an invasion of privacy, whoever opened that letter had no right to do so and I think you should get to the bottom of who did it to be honest, it's not a trivial matter, like you say, there was personal information in that letter.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it illegal to open other people's post? I'm not sure whether that would apply to letters that haven't been 'stamped' and actually posted through the mail though.

Even if it doesn't apply, it is still incredibly rude and I would speak to the people who get the mail in your college. Definitely mention it to your therapist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    I suggest an 'enquiry' to get to the bottom of this. I'm being serious, if it were me, I would want to know who'd done it and I'd want them punished. Completley irresponsible of the person who did it.
    Thanks for the response-I've been feeling so angry and i wasn't sure whether i was exagerrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)
    Maybe ask you therapist exactly who she gave the letter too.. and ask her what to do about the situation.

That is very irresponsible of the form tutor to let such a private document be opened like that.

Does the tutor know you have these sessions? Maybe she opened it by mistake as she is supposed to have some authority over you too?

I don't think you should feel embarrassed.. just act like nothings happened and if someone mentions something then you know who opened it.
    Thanks for responding. No, she doesn't know and it's really getting to me. I'll just try to think of how to solve it over the weekend. I'm kind of too scared to go back into sixth form because I feel so paranoid now because someone somewhere knows something about me which I want nobody to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    That's an invasion of privacy, whoever opened that letter had no right to do so and I think you should get to the bottom of who did it to be honest, it's not a trivial matter, like you say, there was personal information in that letter.
    Thanks for answering, I was wondering whether it was just me who thinks it's not a trivial matter so thanks for agreeing with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katehlouise)
    Isn't it illegal to open other people's post? I'm not sure whether that would apply to letters that haven't been 'stamped' and actually posted through the mail though.

Even if it doesn't apply, it is still incredibly rude and I would speak to the people who get the mail in your college. Definitely mention it to your therapist!
    Thank you for answering. The letter was stamped and posted through actual mail btw as my therapist only comes in one day a week and the rest of the time works elsewhere. I'm so embarassed and annoyed

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for answering. The letter was stamped and posted through actual mail btw as my therapist only comes in one day a week and the rest of the time works elsewhere. I'm so embarassed and annoyed
    That's unacceptable, Ask your school to start an investigation and demand to know who handles mail and who would have access to the school mail. Should be able to work out who opened it by looking at the chain of teachers who handled it.

Tell your therapist this before you do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    That's unacceptable, Ask your school to start an investigation and demand to know who handles mail and who would have access to the school mail. Should be able to work out who opened it by looking at the chain of teachers who handled it.

Tell your therapist this before you do it.
    Thank you for answering. I will do, I'm a bit embarassed they'll think i'm making a big deal out of it but I feel so exposed!
    Ta though

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

many thanks.

Just to add the letter was stamped and sent to the school.

You mention that it was stamped and sent to the school - did it definitely have your name on it though?

Terrible that someone else read, especially as it had some personal info in there.

I agree with others in that you should tell your therapist straight away and then speak to those who sort the mail in your school and let them know what happened and that it is completely unacceptable.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It might not have been read. When I worked in a post room, post only addressed to the business and not a person was put through an automated letter opener and it might have been that you're letter was included in this pile by mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for answering, I was wondering whether it was just me who thinks it's not a trivial matter so thanks for agreeing with me
    No, it's completely against common decency to open someone's private mail. My mum always asks me before opening any letters that get delivered home because I'm at uni 10 hours away so I told her she's free to open them but I know that if I hadn't wanted her to she would have respected my privacy. That letter contained personal information so it's completely out of order for someone to read it.

ReputationRep:
    If it was clear that it was for you, then it's an obvious invasion of privacy. If it's not against the law, then it's morally wrong, and the school really should respect your right to privacy.

What I'd do is try and go through the school's complaints process, or if you don't know it talk to your headteacher. You could even get the board of governors involved if you want someone to be impartial(-ish). They can probably help you if you argue your case correctly, and the receptionists or whoever sorts out incoming and outgoing mail would listen to someone more than they would you. The least he could do is make it clear that it is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    You should defenitely not let this go! I had a similar situation even if you dont know who it was you should make a big deal out of it and speak to a teacher yoy trust etc You could even get one of your parents to go and complain. Trust me it will make a difference! You should let them know that they wont get away with things like that (when it comes to you)

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.