Turn on thread page Beta

Student Loans watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    how do we apply for it? I was told that you get forms from your school, but I'm already on a gap year so....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    how do we apply for it? I was told that you get forms from your school, but I'm already on a gap year so....
    Try contacting the student loans company directly?

They're actually called The Student Loans Company, so try seeing if they have a website?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsuppor...ts/index.shtml

should be able to download a form off here shortly...otherwise you can contact your local LEA (see website there is a list) and they will send you a pack

ReputationRep:
    Great more debt to add to the £4000 i'm already in after my first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Great more debt to add to the £4000 i'm already in after my first year.
    And it just keeps getting bigger. I will leave uni in june £14000 in debt. Not looking forward to having to pay it all back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    And it just keeps getting bigger. I will leave uni in june £14000 in debt. Not looking forward to having to pay it all back!
    that's whats encouraging me to live @ home- less debt!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsuppor...ts/index.shtml

should be able to download a form off here shortly...otherwise you can contact your local LEA (see website there is a list) and they will send you a pack
    i emailed them, and they said they'd send something (like 3 weeks ago)... but nothing yet! is it because i've applied too early?

and how much is the basic entitlement per year? will it last?

ReputationRep:
    i thought there was a threshold below which you don't have to pay?

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you spend it on. from 3k out of london with parents with good income, to nearly 5k in London with low income family. 3k is enough for tuition fees and general living if your careful, or enough for your accomodation and a bit extra. If your getting the fixed payed for you, i.e. tuition and accom, then the 3k is enough for you to have a great time, plus save some for sum summer hi-jinx

ReputationRep:
    My dad is retired and our annual income is only £12k a year. I'm studying in London. So I should get about £5,000 with my tution paid for. Right?
    I've just found out that my accomodation at it's cheapest is going to be....you guessed it.....over £5,000

How the hell do I get that cash?

ReputationRep:
    My dad saved up some money for me at University. Though I don't want to blow it all at once.

I'm feeling Überly pissed off with my bro' at the moment. When he left home to go to London at 19 mum and dad gave him in excess of £15k over a stretch of time. He's never paid it back even though he's now racking it in and owns three businesses, both his kids go to private school...even the 3 year old.

So that cash could have been spent on me Well....you know what I mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i emailed them, and they said they'd send something (like 3 weeks ago)... but nothing yet! is it because i've applied too early?

and how much is the basic entitlement per year? will it last?

phone them- they never replied to my email but i phoned them and received the pack the next dat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i thought there was a threshold below which you don't have to pay?
    You don't have to start paying it back until you earn over a certain amount of money (for some reason I think it might be £10,000, but I might have made that up!) I'm hoping if it comes out my pay packed I won't notice it until I've paid it off and I'm actually getting the money.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to start paying it back until you earn over a certain amount of money (for some reason I think it might be £10,000, but I might have made that up!)
    I think the £10, 000 is right.. unless they've changed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    I think the £10, 000 is right.. unless they've changed it.
    It is moving up to £15,000 in 2005

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    It is moving up to £15,000 in 2005
    Thanx .

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.