Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone This is going to sound like a ridiculous question, but I've got offers from St. John's College, Cambridge and St. Mary's College, Durham, but don't know which one to choose! This is mainly because I went to the Durham open day this week and absolutely fell in love with the city and the college, but part of me is still saying that I would always regret rejecting Cambridge if I were to choose Durham. Plus, I deliberately tried not to get too enthusiastic about Cambridge before application (because I expected to get rejected) and now don't know if it's the right place for me or not :confused: . Sorry for the rant, I know it's a stupid thing to worry about but I'd really appreciate some advice from people at either of the unis or anyone who has an opinion!

ReputationRep:
    I was actually in the same position with Durham and York (I literally made my mind up a week ago). I thought Durham would reject me so I set myself on York and when I visited York, it was pretty much perfect so when I got the offer from Durham, I didn't know what to do because I felt like I'll regret it if I reject Durham

In the end, I looked at which course I found more appealing, for example, York focuses on coursework more than Durham does, which I liked better. I also factored in living costs etc.

With Durham and Cambridge, I'd just look at how the course is structured and which you prefer. Have you visited Cambridge yet? If not, you might want to do that so you can get a feel of the place and you might find yourself forgetting all about Durham. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPirate)
    Hi everyone This is going to sound like a ridiculous question, but I've got offers from St. John's College, Cambridge and St. Mary's College, Durham, but don't know which one to choose! This is mainly because I went to the Durham open day this week and absolutely fell in love with the city and the college, but part of me is still saying that I would always regret rejecting Cambridge if I were to choose Durham. Plus, I deliberately tried not to get too enthusiastic about Cambridge before application (because I expected to get rejected) and now don't know if it's the right place for me or not :confused: . Sorry for the rant, I know it's a stupid thing to worry about but I'd really appreciate some advice from people at either of the unis or anyone who has an opinion!
    Go to Cambridge; it will be far easier to transfer to Durham if you drop out, or do a postgraduate course there, but it would be almost impossible the other way round. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You will have your whole life falling in love with different cities. Go to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    You may regret going to cambridge if durham is where your heart is and its not worth feeling like thag because you went to cambridge because of its reputatuion (as durhams has a really good rep as well). You are probably a lot more likely to get a better grade at a uni where you love, obviously it depends on your feelings for cambridge

I know this probabably hasnt helped, but i cant tell about how you really feel, but you will be spending £9000 ayear there, so you want to make sure you enjoy it
    Also depends how much you believe you can get the grades for cambridge (if there is any difference between cambridge and durham)

Hope this gives you some kinda help, i have to chose between bath and warwick(i know its not cambridge though :P)

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you rather be at Oxford than St. John's?

Just kidding. I think you should look at what the course structure is like, what the living accommodation is like - visit both cities again, this time with a list of things you want, i.e. do you want your uni to have this, that or whatever? Forget about rankings, prestige, job prospects. They're both great unis. Go with where you'd be happiest

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for being so helpful I think the main problem is that I didn't get chance to look around St. John's (I got pooled and fished) and they don't have an open day until after the UCAS deadline, so I can't look around the accommodation there. Also, what's the whole "I'd rather be at Oxford than St John's" thing about? I've heard it a few times and I'm curious :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for being so helpful I think the main problem is that I didn't get chance to look around St. John's (I got pooled and fished) and they don't have an open day until after the UCAS deadline, so I can't look around the accommodation there. Also, what's the whole "I'd rather be at Oxford than St John's" thing about? I've heard it a few times and I'm curious :P
    The I'd rather be at Oxford thing is just some good old-fashioned banter.

More importantly, I think if you're an offer holder it's absolutely fine to just show up at St John's one day and ask if you can look around. I'm sure you won't have to pay any entrance fees, and they might even be able to fetch someone who could show you around. If you're uncertain you could always email the admissions people to ask about this option! (What I just described is definitely completely normal at Newnham, from where I have an offer, so I can't imagine why John's wouldn't work the same way.)

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.