The Student Room Group

Cass or reapplication

Hey,

This was a pretty bad day, I got rejected from LSE and yesterday from UCL. I have a conditional offer to read 'Investment and Financial Risk Management' from Cass Business School.

Basically, what would you recommend me to do? Do I have any shot at Investment Banking with a degree from Cass.

Please be frank and if need be, harsh with your answers.

Thank you

Thank you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
CASS is a different world to LSE and UCL in terms of your chances of getting into investment banking.
Reply 2
Original post by chelseafan
CASS is a different world to LSE and UCL in terms of your chances of getting into investment banking.

The thought of waiting a whole year just depresses me.

Reply 3
Original post by coastbeats
Hey,

This was a pretty bad day, I got rejected from LSE and yesterday from UCL. I have a conditional offer to read 'Investment and Financial Risk Management' from Cass Business School.

Basically, what would you recommend me to do? Do I have any shot at Investment Banking with a degree from Cass.

Please be frank and if need be, harsh with your answers.

Thank you

Thank you

i study IFRM at cass, and if you do the work there is no reason why you cant get into investment banking, it relies solely on you, even though admittedly LSE and UCL are on a different level.

there have been numerous people on my course with summer internships at morgan stanley, goldmansachs, credit suisse ect it all depends on you.
Reply 4
how do you know if you wait a year and reapply you will get into LSE, UCL, Oxbridge...

Take CASS, work hard, network hard and you can break in.
Just take Cass, we can't all be smart man.. just accept you're at the lower end of the intelligence distribution.
Reply 6
Original post by i_hate_teeth
Just take Cass, we can't all be smart man.. just accept you're at the lower end of the intelligence distribution.

Yes because intelligence is the deciding factor on A-level results..
Reply 7
Depends; what makes you think you could make it into one of the targets next time? Even if you made it into Durham, Nottingham, Bristol etc, if you don't want to waste a year applying, Cass is probably a better choice than one of the aforementioned semi-targets anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by Indus
Depends; what makes you think you could make it into one of the targets next time? Even if you made it into Durham, Nottingham, Bristol etc, if you don't want to waste a year applying, Cass is probably a better choice than one of the aforementioned semi-targets anyway.

If I do reapply, I would make LSE my first choice. Now LSE is definitely worth reapplying for, but assume I don't make it again, would you think CASS is a better option than UCL, Durham, York etc.

My brother is trying to persuade me to go to CASS as by his words it is a 'world renowned institution where I have exposure to the City and directly prepares me for the industry'.

Reply 9
Would go to Cass and reapply for other target unis/courses while there.
Reply 10
Hi I am a student from Prague finishing my bachelor's degree, I want to pursue management consulting (ideally at McKinsey haha) after getting my MSc.

I have three choices what to do
1) I was accepted to Cass Business School for a MSc Corporate Finance (1year long). The problem is that it costs £23 000 which I don't have and would have to borrow.

2) Second choice is to go to UCL. The program here is MSc Management (1year long) and it costs £14 000 which I don't have either but it is less than 23 haha

3) I was accepted to CEMS program that is known worldwide and was ranked as 4th in the world. But in this program there is a lot of schools such as London School of Economics, University of Sydney, University of Singapore... and many others which keep the reputation pretty high but I was accepted to CEMS in Prague and that is not that good. Also during this course you have to spend one semester abroad at one of the universities which participate in this program and I was given a university in a no name city somewhere in Belgium... unfortunately. They speak German, French and Dutch neither of languages I speak, but the course is in English. This program is 2years long and the remaining semesters are taught here in Prague. This costs €3 600

What would you do? Any thoughts?
Original post by ilikemaths1
i study IFRM at cass, and if you do the work there is no reason why you cant get into investment banking, it relies solely on you, even though admittedly LSE and UCL are on a different level.

there have been numerous people on my course with summer internships at morgan stanley, goldmansachs, credit suisse ect it all depends on you.

What office? Front office IBD or back office? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by coastbeats
If I do reapply, I would make LSE my first choice. Now LSE is definitely worth reapplying for, but assume I don't make it again, would you think CASS is a better option than UCL, Durham, York etc.

My brother is trying to persuade me to go to CASS as by his words it is a 'world renowned institution where I have exposure to the City and directly prepares me for the industry'.

My point is that you got rejected by LSE and UCL this year; why would they offer you a place next year? What are you going to do in this year to make them want you this time?

If you could get into either of them, or Warwick, Oxford etc, then it would be worth reapplying.

If you were to reapply and get rejected from both of them, then as you say, you may be left with offers from Durham, York etc. Now, I would say that Durham may be worth reapplying for; but as you don't 'want' to take a gap year and probably have little plans for one (ie: do you have internships lined up etc for a year out?) then I would say that Cass now is better than Durham in a year.. Cass would be a better choice than York in my opinion, although they're both very close and if you're one of the best at either, you can make it into front office.
Reply 13
Original post by voyta
Hi I am a student from Prague finishing my bachelor's degree, I want to pursue management consulting (ideally at McKinsey haha) after getting my MSc.

I have three choices what to do
1) I was accepted to Cass Business School for a MSc Corporate Finance (1year long). The problem is that it costs £23 000 which I don't have and would have to borrow.

2) Second choice is to go to UCL. The program here is MSc Management (1year long) and it costs £14 000 which I don't have either but it is less than 23 haha

3) I was accepted to CEMS program that is known worldwide and was ranked as 4th in the world. But in this program there is a lot of schools such as London School of Economics, University of Sydney, University of Singapore... and many others which keep the reputation pretty high but I was accepted to CEMS in Prague and that is not that good. Also during this course you have to spend one semester abroad at one of the universities which participate in this program and I was given a university in a no name city somewhere in Belgium... unfortunately. They speak German, French and Dutch neither of languages I speak, but the course is in English. This program is 2years long and the remaining semesters are taught here in Prague. This costs €3 600

What would you do? Any thoughts?

Go for UCL dude. Consultancies are even more elitist than the banks. Though dont get deluded and think studying at a target uni means you can just walk into a job. Even at UCL, for M/B/B you will have to work your ass off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending