Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

"Vast swathes of urban Britain became like a foreign land." Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    http://www.express.co.uk/comment/col...er-immigration

"Labour betrayed the working class over immigration

No occupying foreign invader could have done more damage to Britain than the treacherous, unpatriotic governments of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown.
    "
    You are not be totally honest with yourself.
    Lot of immigrants do the low paid work that white working class would never do.
    White working class think their too good and rather sit at home and claim benefits than work.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, another one of "them" threads.
    I feel way too many people see immigration as something extremely negative, especially when they see such long figures. And so it becomes a matter of perspective. Now, I've always seen immigration from a "business perspective". In order to help a country outdo it's potential, in terms of education, healhcare, business, etc, immigration is an extremely good way about it.
    Just out of interest, have you cared to find out how many of these figures were doctors, dentists, teachers, etc? And please don't use this point to scapegoat and claim "BRITISH jobs are being stolen", becasue they're not. I agree the figures are ridiculous, but the way some people are reacting is farcical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groundhog2013)
    These vast ethnic areas of Britain are actually a good thing because it promotes diversity which you will find almost all the universities, schools and government departments say is good. And it gives us a good variety of food. You can swap curry recipes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I actually couldn't give a Fak about diversity. You don't need to bring over 1 million Indians in order to have curry.
    Immigration most just causes ethnicities to stick with each other and have no desire to integrate.

Source: I live in London.

ReputationRep:
    the only way to make an argument less credible by quoting the daily mail is by quoting the express

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssxx)
    You are not be totally honest with yourself.
    Lot of immigrants do the low paid work that white working class would never do.
    White working class think their too good and rather sit at home and claim benefits than work.
    They also do a substantial amount of the best jobs. Just look at any multinational corporation in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexh42)
    I actually couldn't give a Fak about diversity. You don't need to bring over 1 million Indians in order to have curry.
    Immigration most just causes ethnicities to stick with each other and have no desire to integrate.

Source: I live in London.
    Migration is a global phenomenon. Hardly anybody will migrate in order to 'make an area more diverse'. There is a massive arbitrage opportunity in some sectors, so if you have an appropriate skillset to fit the bill then in some parts of the world you can get higher pay with relatively little effort.

That is why London is such an international city. Increasingly 'ethnicities do not stick together' since you need to be prepared to deal with people on an international/global basis if you want to make a fast buck - most multinational corporations have realized this - you will find that the workforce at all levels from the bottom to the management level tend to be quite racially diverse. After all their customer base is global and they can hire on an international level.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wisegeek)
    Ah, another one of "them" threads.
    I feel way too many people see immigration as something extremely negative, especially when they see such long figures. And so it becomes a matter of perspective. Now, I've always seen immigration from a "business perspective". In order to help a country outdo it's potential, in terms of education, healhcare, business, etc, immigration is an extremely good way about it.
    Just out of interest, have you cared to find out how many of these figures were doctors, dentists, teachers, etc? And please don't use this point to scapegoat and claim "BRITISH jobs are being stolen", becasue they're not. I agree the figures are ridiculous, but the way some people are reacting is farcical.
    Well globalization will leave them behind. Despite seeing it as something 'extremely negative' the volume of migration on a global scale has increased substantially over the previous 5 decades. Travel has become alot cheaper relative to wages and the labour force has become more internationally mobile. There's not very much that can be done about it. Most migrant workers can simply ignore the complaining and continue to enrich themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    the only way to make an argument less credible by quoting the daily mail is by quoting the express
    What about Conservapedia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Migration is a global phenomenon. Hardly anybody will migrate in order to 'make an area more diverse'. There is a massive arbitrage opportunity in some sectors, so if you have an appropriate skillset to fit the bill then in some parts of the world you can get higher pay with relatively little effort.

That is why London is such an international city. Increasingly 'ethnicities do not stick together' since you need to be prepared to deal with people on an international/global basis if you want to make a fast buck - most multinational corporations have realized this - you will find that the workforce at all levels from the bottom to the management level tend to be quite racially diverse. After all their customer base is global and they can hire on an international level.
    I have no problem with qualified skilled workers coming to the UK (like doctors and professional people), its just when unqualified migrants come to the UK and only fill jobs that are unskilled. These jobs should be taken by the already very high amount of unskilled unemployed people who live here. It only means there's another person still unemployed and on benefits. The government should be focused on encouraging and improving the unskilled so that they aren't less employable than foreign workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexh42)
    I have no problem with qualified skilled workers coming to the UK (like doctors and professional people), its just when unqualified migrants come to the UK and only fill jobs that are unskilled. These jobs should be taken by the already very high amount of unskilled unemployed people who live here. It only means there's another person still unemployed and on benefits. The government should be focused on encouraging and improving the unskilled so that they aren't less employable than foreign workers.
    Yes, exactly! This is how I feel, precisely. Most people seem to be against immigration as a whole, as and when it concerns Britain in this case. The benefits of immigration need to be understood by people favouring views of racist parties such as the BNP, EDL etc. However, it does need to be controlled and definitely looked into, ensuring that it is for the benefit of the country, rather than as you said unqualified migrants coming over to merely fill jobs that are unskilled.

ReputationRep:
    They also do a substantial amount of the best jobs. Just look at any multinational corporation in London.
    I would rate all of your comebacks if I could

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Nobody really cares about this sort of crap in the Express. Come the next election there is far more likelihood of Labour forming a government than UKIP or the BNP winning one seat lmao.
    UKIP will get more than one. Especially with Romanians and Bulgarians having enough time to make matters worse right before the election.

ReputationRep:
    most multinational corporations have realized this - you will find that the workforce at all levels from the bottom to the management level tend to be quite racially diverse. After all their customer base is global and they can hire on an international level.
    You mean 90% white. These companies have offices all over the world, but in such places as London and NY it's mostly white folks as these are seen as the most prestigious. Plus most of the employees are privately educated and come from privileged backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    You mean 90% white. These companies have offices all over the world, but in such places as London and NY it's mostly white folks as these are seen as the most prestigious. Plus most of the employees are privately educated and come from privileged backgrounds.
    It depends on the roots of the multinational corporation. VW has a predominantly German management, though will employ many non-Germans in its workforce. Reliance has a predominantly Indian management, though will employmany non-Indians in its workforce. Likewise for Toyota and its Japanese management.

I'm not sure where the 'white folks are seen as the most prestigious' comes into it. Most common is likely to be an MBA/managerial background rather than 'private education'.

At Anglo-Saxon dominated multinationals the trend is towards more multiethnic representation at the management level as revenues increasingly come from outside the home market. It's a visible trend across for example, UK and American multinational banks over the past 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wisegeek)
    Yes, exactly! This is how I feel, precisely. Most people seem to be against immigration as a whole, as and when it concerns Britain in this case. The benefits of immigration need to be understood by people favouring views of racist parties such as the BNP, EDL etc. However, it does need to be controlled and definitely looked into, ensuring that it is for the benefit of the country, rather than as you said unqualified migrants coming over to merely fill jobs that are unskilled.
    Those parties stand very little chance of achieving any meaningful power (a few councillors outside London does not count) and thus minimal ability to restrict migration. The best and ultimately most effective control is the free market - it is increasingly difficult for one national government to circumvent it.

If unskilled migrants can finance their relocation at their own expense and fill a job that is unskilled and cover their labour costs, then the chances are that indigenous labour was initially too expensive, or that the indigenous workers were not as productive per unit labour cost as their foreign competitors. Globalization leads to more convergence to an average.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the roots of the multinational corporation. VW has a predominantly German management, though will employ many non-Germans in its workforce. Reliance has a predominantly Indian management, though will employmany non-Indians in its workforce. Likewise for Toyota and its Japanese management.

I'm not sure where the 'white folks are seen as the most prestigious' comes into it. Most common is likely to be an MBA/managerial background rather than 'private education'.

At Anglo-Saxon dominated multinationals the trend is towards more multiethnic representation at the management level as revenues increasingly come from outside the home market. It's a visible trend across for example, UK and American multinational banks over the past 20 years.
    Still the overwhelming majority (especially among board members/ top management) is white Anglo-Saxons for obvious reasons (people in their 40s and 50s who largely blended together by going to prestigious institutions in their home countries). Plus the majority of those getting MBAs in top schools come from private school backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    Still the overwhelming majority (especially among board members/ top management) is white Anglo-Saxons for obvious reasons (people in their 40s and 50s who largely blended together by going to prestigious institutions in their home countries). Plus the majority of those getting MBAs in top schools come from private school backgrounds.
    At UK/American-origin multinationals. This is not the case at German, Russian, Scandinavian, Emirati, Qatari, French, Indian, Chinese, Japanese or Brazilian-origin ones.

In the days when the current management started their working lives most companies derived a larger proportion of their revenues from their home markets. Likewise many modern global hubs (London, NY, HK, Dubai etc.) were far less cosmopolitan in those days. The trend is towards more diverse management, especially across Western European-origin enterprises since the bulk of economic activity will shift away from that region, particularly after a 'lost decade' in the Eurozone.

ReputationRep:
    At UK/American-origin multinationals.
    Which are by far the most successful and large.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people get so angry about people 'not speaking the language'? Your next door neighbor speaks the language just fine; and I bet you haven't said one word to that guy in two and a half years. In fact you probably avert eye contact if you happen to leave the house at the same time. So why do you care what language the guy sweeping leaves in the park speaks? It's none of your ****ing business!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.