Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I really need some advice please.

So I'm studying A2 Biology, Chemistry and Physics. They're so demanding and up until now I've been fine. Never really gotten stressed and coped with the work load. I'm fortunate enough not to have any resits in the summer so I only have three exams.

However, recently I've been so ill. I've been fainting every few weeks and getting migraines, etc... So I kept missing lessons. Then just as I managed to get caught up again I get the flu meaning I've been off for a whole five days! A whole week of lessons! I'm so frustrated for being so ill. I tried to do a little bit of work but I just felt too ill. It's now Friday and I'm starting to feel a little better and I've just got a long list of things that I need to do by Monday in order to catch-up and I still don't feel 100% and I'm so so stressed out.

Even if I went over it all I wouldn't know it all as well as I would have had I been in lessons. I can't speak to any of my teachers about this as the emails are down and they wouldn't really have any way of helping me.

I just don't know what to do. I feel like crying I'm so overwhelmed. I keep trying to tell myself to relax and wait until I'm better and catch-up during half-term but I can't. My teachers are probably going to be annoyed with attendance (or lack of) and if I turn up on Monday without having caught up not am I going to annoy them but it's going to push me even further behind. I know I should just sit down and do it but it's easier said than done. I did a little tiny bit of work tonight (catching up from stuff I missed over a month ago). I have to teach myself 2/3rds the biology syllabus and multiple chapters in chemistry by Monday.

Has anyone been through something similar and got any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Don't let it stress you out, exams aren't for near three months. You're just gonna have to work slightly harder to try to catch up. It's not fair or what you want to hear but its your only option. When you do catch up work ahead of the class, that way when you do the work in class it'll be revision rather than learning and should you fall ill again you'll have a small period before you start falling behind.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replying.

I just don't know what to do. I feel like there's no point because even when I catch-up I still don't properly understand the content at all. There's so many gaps in my knowledge and I feel like I'm going to have a break down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkliest)
    Thank you for replying.

I just don't know what to do. I feel like there's no point because even when I catch-up I still don't properly understand the content at all. There's so many gaps in my knowledge and I feel like I'm going to have a break down.
    I'm in the same situation, and whats worst is I'm still feeling ill but most of my peers and teachers don't take me serious. After feeling so ill i just lacked motivation and I completely stopped revising because i kept thinking 'What's the point, I'm going to fail anyways' most of my friends are ahead and i feel like the dumbest in the class. I haven't really sorted my attendance out and i really can't be ask to authorize it but starting today I've made an amazing plan on my revision timetable and i'm very motivated. The only way you can any work done is to just go straight in it and just ignore what's going on around you. If you have really good grades i'm sure the uni's won't care.
    Good luck and hope you get better soon

ReputationRep:
    OMG you sound just like me.:eek: i've been fainting and have migraines since just after the start of y12 and im in yr13 now. the fainting gets better or worse, at the moment i've been fainting everyday for the past couple of weeks and i feel drained and have missed a week of school so i know how fed up and frustrated you feel. so my advice:-
    -look through your list, anything not absolutely necessary get rid of
    -colour code things as red,orange or green so you know what will be hardest
    -use post its. when im tired and don't have energy i just read the book and put main points on post its
    -use youtube revision videos. these are great for when u just want to sit and listen to something. the website brightstorm is good for sciences.
    -ask teachers for help. i really did not want to do this at 1st, but it is amazing how even a 10min summary of something just makes everything click together
    -try to accept sometimes you are too ill to work. i find this hardest and always feel guilty
    -revise little and often. i work maybe for 20mins then take a break for 15mins. i get things done and done feel as shattered
    Do you know what causes the fainting? trying to sort that out and preventing it will help. i have vasovagal syncope and low blood pressure which causes mine. Hope you feel better soon and if you ever need to talk message me =]

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.