Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I'm in year 12, and I currently take French, Spanish, Maths and Further Maths at AS (wanted to keep both language and maths doors open) However, have decided that I want to pursue languages at uni and a career as a translator. Which universities and courses would be best for this? I'm likely to get A's in both languages, but possibly a B in maths. Don't even ask about further maths . I've been looking at Durham, which requires 3x A's, or Newcastle on AAB. Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on this topic? The most important thing for me is the chance of finding good work after graduation.

All input appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I want to do languages at uni too id say ucl as it has a strong languages department, but perhaps you could consider going to france or spain- it would be exciting and much cheaper too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle
    Edinburgh
    Sheffield
    Bristol
    Aston
    Nottingham
    Durham
    Birmingham
    Herriot watt
    Manchester

Just a few of the places I applied to / current course mates applied to.

Get prospectuses. Research graduate destinations. Go to open days. Nearing the end of my course now, I would advise you not to narrow down to translation too early, most of us have come to hate it now, plus there is a very wide variety of opportunities for you afterwards so you don't have to choose now.

Also, it's all well and good knowing the % of graduates with a job after uni, but I very strongly advise you to consider other factors first, such as where you will be happiest/ year abroad opportunities etc. You will have 4 years of your life to live before you get a job so it's important you choose the best all-round place. And graduates who find employment quickly won't get it based solely on the uni they attended- think about getting experience, extra curricular stuff, making your cv look good.

ReputationRep:
    My son wants to do a degree in mfl. We are English living in Spain. He wants to do French & Spanish. There are no universities in Spain that offer an mfl degree in Spanish & French. Hence, he will have to go to the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.