Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Bioshock Infinite Watch

ReputationRep:
    Really got immersed in the story of all this. I loved the ending so much, when everything came together I was just blown away.

Spoiler:
    Show
    With the ending I was kind of doubting the other two games by the end. Were they real? Was it Booker in an alternative lifetime? Have we played the same game three times in three different ways? What is going on?!

It all starts with a lighthouse..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I finished it a few days back and my girlfriend finished it today. Both times she screamed obscene things at the siren and the second time she was hitting every trigger she could find.

The game was awesome though but now I'm getting rage at people misunderstanding the whole idea of the Bioshock series

I'm currently writing a 5000 word essay pretty much focused on Bioshock so I'm glad that Infinite came out in time for me to include it. I had to rush through though for the story so I'm looking forward to a 1999 run through sometime next week
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I finished it a few days back and my girlfriend finished it today. Both times she screamed obscene things at the siren and the second time she was hitting every trigger she could find.

The game was awesome though but now I'm getting rage at people misunderstanding the whole idea of the Bioshock series

I'm currently writing a 5000 word essay pretty much focused on Bioshock so I'm glad that Infinite came out in time for me to include it. I had to rush through though for the story so I'm looking forward to a 1999 run through sometime next week
    I don't suppose that essay is something that you'd be interested in sharing? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighcakes)
    Really got immersed in the story of all this. I loved the ending so much, when everything came together I was just blown away.

Spoiler:
    Show
    With the ending I was kind of doubting the other two games by the end. Were they real? Was it Booker in an alternative lifetime? Have we played the same game three times in three different ways? What is going on?!

It all starts with a lighthouse..
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Wow, the ending was amazing. I think it is implied that Rapture could be Columbia, in another place and another time. It's all so subjective and ambiguous, really makes you think and pause.

I loved Elizabeth and Booker. I hope that the post-credits where Booker goes to baby Anna in her crib is him back at the start, the cycle broken, free to live his life with Anna. Or the darker side of the coin is, he's right back at the beginning ready to start the cycle again.

ReputationRep:
    Just started the game, great game so far. YOLO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    Just started the game, great game so far. YOLO.
    yolo indeed.

I haven't bought this game yet because I have 4 essays due in a week:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExWunderkind)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Wow, the ending was amazing. I think it is implied that Rapture could be Columbia, in another place and another time. It's all so subjective and ambiguous, really makes you think and pause.

I loved Elizabeth and Booker. I hope that the post-credits where Booker goes to baby Anna in her crib is him back at the start, the cycle broken, free to live his life with Anna. Or the darker side of the coin is, he's right back at the beginning ready to start the cycle again.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Exactly. You never know. After finishing it I just wanted to go back and start from the first game to see if I could spot any evidence to support that they're all the same world.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    I don't suppose that essay is something that you'd be interested in sharing? :holmes:
    It's a critical analysis of Clausewitz's Remarkable Trinity applied to the tactics of modern games - about 2500ish words focussed on the Bioshock series. I'd be happy to share when I finish writing it

ReputationRep:
    My impressions of the game

Spoiler:
    Show

This game is ****ing amazing and the story is on a level of its own , but the combat was very weak compared to the first game in my opinion .

I cant really enjoy playing it , the combat seems so repetitive , traps were also pretty much useless throughout a lot of the game because combat was primarily offensive rather than defensive , sometimes I would attempt to lure enemies back through a door to run into the traps but they would just wait for me ? the story is the sole reason I would replay it . Decisions you make aren't as important as they where in Bioshock either. I hate the way alot of the enemies would just attack from a distance , you can just go round and round the sky rails to avoid them . I'd much rather them be actively seeking you out . The combat in the game makes it feel like you are reinacting a script or something , in Bioshock you made your own film .

I prefer splicers to the police enemies in this game , splicers where much more varied and exciting whereas enemies in this game are simply autonomous numbers that you take down . Perhaps the idea that each splicer used to be a person with their own history was something I enjoyed , some of them would even have Voxophones (forgot the name of the original audiotapes xD) explaining their dire situations.

Loot was also very linear , lock picks were pretty much useless because all you would get was a few hundred dollars for scrounging around for a few picks. Gear was probably the only thing in the game which made it repayable , some of the unique things you could get were game changing. In Bioshock I would scrounge every last enemy because loot was so important , it meant the difference between life and death , having awesome ammo types etc . In Infinite I literally run around corpses bashing x on the xbox controller because the loot is incredibly basic and predetermined. What was with all the closed shops and houses you would get when running around towns ? it made exploration incredibly limited when only 1/4 houses was open etc . Surely they ought to be giving incentives for exploring rather than limiting exploration full stop ? Bioshock made almost everything you could see accessible one way or another .

Weapon upgrades must have taken the team about a few minutes out of the 5+ years they spent developing the game . Increased clip magazine , Increased damage ..... Really 2k ? Really ? Sure they make you down enemies easier but apart from that what a useless feature , would it have been that hard to add in extra ammo types also ? The fact that they are all accessible exemplifies the reckless decision choosing you can do in this game , as ultimately your decisions are of little consequence. In Bioshock 1 on the other hand , everything was about choice , plasmids , weapons , crucial in game decisions ... They all had game changing effects , whether you play as offensive , defensive , stealth , weapon focused , plasmid focused , evil , good , "grey" as in balanced etc .. They made reply value so damn high . It was a proper RPG . Bioshock Infinite feels like any darn Shooter where enemies are simply bots who you loot for ammo and health , wtf man ... Vigors are simply overpowered means of killing enemies . It was so disappointing.

As ive said , the sole reason I would replay is for the epic storyline , even the little arrow pointing direction thing broke the immersion abit , even though I know its optional it just breaks the whole visage of a story unfolding itself before you , you make the decisions and discoveries etc . In Bioshock infinite you simply play out a series of events that are going to happen .

That being said , it will definitely have a place up in my best games of all time list . Perhaps the forthcoming DLCs will redeem the lack luster combat system. [/B]

ReputationRep:
    Just ordered it because of such good reviews, do people who have it agree it's an epic game?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    Just ordered it because of such good reviews, do people who have it agree it's an epic game?
    It's a fantastic game! (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    Definitely :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Definitely :yep:
    (Original post by xPrincessLx)
    It's a fantastic game! (:
    I want it now!:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    So damn good! I need to stop playing it though already spent ages on it for the last 2 days. People get it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsene Wenger)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The only explanation I can give about Booker not knowing about Columbia, is that the Luteces took him to 1912, just after he gave away Anna (hence why Booker still has "Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt" in his mind.) Or you are right, and that this Booker is simply from another universe, it still wouldn't affect the infinite loop considering the number of times Elizabeth takes them through a different loop.

This is one Booker's timeline of the infinite loop as I see it from the diagram I made (unfortunately I can't make it cyclical so you'll have to bear with me)

Wounded Knee 1890 --> baptism (rejected) 1890 --> Anna is born 1892 ---> gambling problems ---> Booker sells Anna to Lutece (1893?) ---> Booker travels to Columbia ---> KIlls Comstock ---> Elizabeth takes Booker back to baptism which he accepts 1890 --> Becomes Comstock/Embraces religion --> works with Luteces' to go back in time (not sure what year this would be, but a fair bit in the future as he is definitely older) ---> travels back in time and becomes the leader of Columbia --> buys Anna off of past Booker and takes her to Columbia 1893 ---> locks Anna/Elizabeth in tower 1897 ---> killed by past Booker 1912

This is the only explanation I can think of for why, as Booker and Comstock are the same person, Comstock is so much older.

So past Booker would then go on to repeat all the actions after killing Comstock in that timeline.

I think that in game, that timeline plays out up until the point where Elizabeth takes Booker back to the baptism, where somehow Booker manages to reject it, and allows Elizabeth to kill him, therefore ending the loop!

Is that right? Or have I made any errors? Or missed anything out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd say that's a pretty accurate. I just don't understand how the new Booker ends up on the boat every time the loop starts again.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    x
    (Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    x
    :wavey: I've added spoiler tags to your posts. If you could use these in future for anything sensitive that would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The only explanation I can give about Booker not knowing about Columbia, is that the Luteces took him to 1912, just after he gave away Anna (hence why Booker still has "Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt" in his mind.) Or you are right, and that this Booker is simply from another universe, it still wouldn't affect the infinite loop considering the number of times Elizabeth takes them through a different loop.

This is one Booker's timeline of the infinite loop as I see it from the diagram I made (unfortunately I can't make it cyclical so you'll have to bear with me)

Wounded Knee 1890 --> baptism (rejected) 1890 --> Anna is born 1892 ---> gambling problems ---> Booker sells Anna to Lutece (1893?) ---> Booker travels to Columbia ---> KIlls Comstock ---> Elizabeth takes Booker back to baptism which he accepts 1890 --> Becomes Comstock/Embraces religion --> works with Luteces' to go back in time (not sure what year this would be, but a fair bit in the future as he is definitely older) ---> travels back in time and becomes the leader of Columbia --> buys Anna off of past Booker and takes her to Columbia 1893 ---> locks Anna/Elizabeth in tower 1897 ---> killed by past Booker 1912

This is the only explanation I can think of for why, as Booker and Comstock are the same person, Comstock is so much older.

So past Booker would then go on to repeat all the actions after killing Comstock in that timeline.

I think that in game, that timeline plays out up until the point where Elizabeth takes Booker back to the baptism, where somehow Booker manages to reject it, and allows Elizabeth to kill him, therefore ending the loop!

Is that right? Or have I made any errors? Or missed anything out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's explained how Comstock has aged so much and is infertile through some of the Voxophones. His close proximity to the Siphon is labelled as the reason by Rosalind Lutece, I believe you find this particular voxophone just after Comstock is killed.

ReputationRep:
    :wavey: I've added spoiler tags to your posts. If you could use these in future for anything sensitive that would be appreciated.
    My bad. Thanks.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    My bad. Thanks.
    Nothing to worry about; hopefully I'll have caught your post before many saw it, and I was able to make the edit without reading too much of the detail myself.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to worry about; hopefully I'll have caught your post before many saw it, and I was able to make the edit without reading too much of the detail myself.
    Yeah this is one game where it would be utterly ruined if you knew the ending before you'd finished it.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.