Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Required Action needed to become a Barrister Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so im studying Law and in first year, and wish to become a barrister. Can anyone currently with the same goals, or have become a barrister please offer some guidance is to things i should be doing in terms of work experience, extra cirricular activities which can enhance my future application, obviously alongside a strong degree result.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Mooting and debating are important at this stage, and carry on doing it, get as heavily involved in your University Law Soc as you can. You could also try to get some work experience in either solicitors or through mini-pupillages; however a lot of chambers don't take on mini-pupils before third year so you'll have to look around. You could also volunteer at the CAB, or some other pro-bono organisation.

The only issue really is the vast majority of pupillage applicants will have done all of this, so you really need to stand out and have some interesting life experiences. You might not get it straight out of University- pupillage is a long game and an awful lot of successful applicants are at least 25+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajh1990)
    Mooting and debating are important at this stage, and carry on doing it, get as heavily involved in your University Law Soc as you can. You could also try to get some work experience in either solicitors or through mini-pupillages; however a lot of chambers don't take on mini-pupils before third year so you'll have to look around. You could also volunteer at the CAB, or some other pro-bono organisation.

The only issue really is the vast majority of pupillage applicants will have done all of this, so you really need to stand out and have some interesting life experiences. You might not get it straight out of University- pupillage is a long game and an awful lot of successful applicants are at least 25+.
    Thanks for the advice. I understand how hard it is to become one here in NI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gotye)
    Ok so im studying Law and in first year, and wish to become a barrister. Can anyone currently with the same goals, or have become a barrister please offer some guidance is to things i should be doing in terms of work experience, extra cirricular activities which can enhance my future application, obviously alongside a strong degree result.

Thanks
    Mooting, Debating, Volunteering- CAB, legal advice centre etc, Mini Pupillages, Work experience at a solicitor's firm, Marshalling etc. - this is what will be expected of you- and you should assume that most of the people you're up against have done all/a number of these things.

I would recommend that you do something- anything- that is different. Start a society at unversity, start your own business, teach yourself the guitar, pick up a new hobby such as rowing or surfing. Do anything that makes you different- the standard, obvious things may get you an interview but something different may very well get you the pupillage. They want to see that you are a person with interests outside of the law, you will also show so many skills with unusual hobbies- team work, initative, ability to manage time etc.

Good luck!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.