Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

My brother is very overweight - what (if anything) should I do? Watch

Ok, so my younger brother (16) has always been a little on the large side, but since I left home for uni 1 1/2 years ago, his weight has shot up. He's about 1.80m and weighs close to 18 stone (I know this because when I returned home from uni I checked the last weight memory on our bathroom scales, after my mum asked him to weigh himself).
    My parents do occassionally mention that he should lose weight, but I feel they contribute to the problem by encouraging him to have 2nd helpings at the dinner table! He's tried to shift weight in the past (after my parents asked him to) but he seems to lose a little, then put on more than what he lost. He used to play football and tennis (after which my mum would prepare him a large meal on his rwturn, even if dinner was less than 2 hours away).
    My mum even goes to the effort of making him unhealthy alternatives (such as chips instead of boiled rice) for dinner. I've asked her to stop but he can get really annoyed if he doesn't get what he wants.
    My*parents do seem to favour him to my older brother and me, and therefore he always got larger portion sizes when we were younger (as our parents are on low incomes).
    Despite this, I do love my brother and don't want to see him getting closer in size to those on Supersize vs Superskinny on channel 4. Does anyone know what I can do?
    Thanks in advance
    Sorry if it's long. I can't tell as i'm typing on my phone.

Also , apologies about the huge wall of text. Should have left a line between each paragraph... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Check this out: http://www.hungryforchange.tv/
    Very good stuff on food, health, obesity etc.
    Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    Tell him you are concerned for his health, there is a very high chance that he will have problems within a year from now if he doesnt start to shift it. All it takes is starting off with a 20 minute walk aday and swaping short carbs for long ones. Step up the excersise as he gets lighter.

edit: love how all the suggestions get negged, if you didnt want the truth, dont ask.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on him and you know that better than anybody!Try to get into a conversation about his weight without actually asking him?
    Try nudge him into thinking about his health?

bump sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    bump sorry
    Why are you bumping someone else's thread from 3 months ago...?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.