Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I applied for medicine this year, and I'm waiting to hear back from one uni, but I reckon they've given their offers out now and are just holding out to give all the rejections in one big go.
    Anyway let's pretend I got 4 rejections....
    I have an offer for chemical engineering at Newcastle. I didn't want to do biomed etc. I looked for somewhere that was AAB just in case I didn't get AAA for med, so I picked newcastle, as it looked like the best AAB chem eng course, but in the end they offered me AAA. I won't lie, I don't actually know a heap about chemical engineering, or how much of it is actually chemistry vs learning about what gives the best yield for chemicals/bit of physics etc. I do quite like chemistry and I'm decent at it but I just don't know if I'd want to commit to it for four years, or whether it's the job for me. I was originally thinking of picking computer science or something along those lines, because computing really interests me, but I switched to chemical engineering as it looked like it was more in demand and would lead to a secure job.
    The thing is, I don't know what I can do now.... Should I stick with newcastle for chemical engineering? Should I, somehow, see if somewhere maybe... More prestigious (not trying to offend, don't even know what sort of credentials newcastle has for chem eng) like ucl or something? Because I might as well now aim for something AAA (which I'm likely to get... Bath, ucl or something). Or should I somehow see if anything in terms of computing is available? I don't even know if I'd be "good at" chem eng, and whenever I think about it, all I can see is me on my own, in newcastle, not near any old friends' uni cities, doing a course that I don't mind (that i may grow to enjoy a lot) but I might not. I don't even know how to go about all of this anyway, cos I can't exactly just send off another ucas application haha, and I'm sure a lot of unis already have their quotas filled. I don't really know what I'm asking here if anything. Just looking for opinions really :/
    I'm reasonably clever, not to blow my own trumpet, and I feel I want to go somewhere where I feel... Priviliged(?) to go there? Needed? I don't know haha
    Thanks for your time
    Josh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomd_love)
    Omg!! I thought I was the only one who was in this situation. My forms tutors words "Don't you think your being a bit fickle - if medicine is your dream why won't you fight for it." But I don't know what I'd do for a year at such short notice because I didn't have a back up plan.

My advice is if you really wanna do medicine - gap year. If you do want chem eng go to ucas extra (cos it looks like your gonna get the grades needed).
    Words of wisdom right there.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's the thing! I really would want to do medicine and I really see myself doing it.. But another year of this bull ****, stupid ukcat which u got lucky on this year, interviews, rejections.... And imagine it happening again! I know people who are applying for their THIRD time! I don't want to go to university as a 21 year old, I'm sorry, no matter how much I love a subject. I don't think I can do ucas extra can I? What requirements do I have to meet? Like, all rejections? I might try and ring some unis direct and just ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    *i got lucky on

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science probably has more jobs and will increase as technology gets better.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.