The Student Room Group

How to apply to uni on results day?

Basically i really want to go either keele or manchester but i got rejected by them when appling to ucas as my predicated grades suck

If i get the grades they ask for (ABB) could i some how reject huddersfield (offer = abb) and ring them up and get in or do i have to take a gap year?
Reply 1
Original post by Pandasareamazing
Basically i really want to go either keele or manchester but i got rejected by them when appling to ucas as my predicated grades suck

If i get the grades they ask for (ABB) could i some how reject huddersfield (offer = abb) and ring them up and get in or do i have to take a gap year?

If your course is in clearing then sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kieronspitter
If your course is in clearing then sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do i have to reject my offer first though?
as isnt that risky?
Reply 3
Original post by Pandasareamazing
Do i have to reject my offer first though?
as isnt that risky?

If you exceed the offer of your firm choice you could call up other unis and apply through Ucas adjustment without rejecting your firm. If not you would have to reject your firm but I suppose you would only do this if another uni was willing to give you a place

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, its VERY risky to rely on Clearing !

1) You have to drop both your Insurance & Firm choices to go into Clearing and some Unis (being busy at that point) can sometimes take days or even weeks to do this. By which time, many places in Clearing will be gone.

2) Many top Unis dont put ANY places in Clearing. That could include both the ones you are after and they will not be able to tell you this in advance.

3) If you get *amazing* grades then look at applying through Adjustment : http://www.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/adjustment/ where *after* Results you can ask to be considered by Unis asking for much higher grades. There is no guarantee they will take you even with the 'right' grades btw - they are still choosey about who they say Yes to even at that stage.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Yes, its VERY risky.

1) You have to drop both your Insurance & Firm choices and some Unis (being busy at that point) can sometimes take days or even weeks to do this. By which time, many places in Clearing will be gone.

2) Many top Unis dont put ANY places in Clearing. That could include both the ones you are after and they will not be able to tell you this in advance.

3) If you get *amazing* grades then look at applying through Adjustment : http://www.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/adjustment/ where *after* Results you can ask to be considered by Unis asking for much higher grades. There is no guarantee they will take you even with the 'right' grades btw - they are still choosey about who they say Yes to even at that stage.

I cant go through adjustment because i wont get higher than ABB and my offer currently is ABB so...
What would you advice me to do?
Take a gap yaer and reapply or just study pharmacy at LJMU or huddersfield?
Only *you* can decide which is the best Uni for you. No-one else can make that decision for you. Remember, just because a Uni is asking for higher grades or is perceived as 'better' doesnt actually guarantee that you will like it better there.

You have a choice - live with LMJ or Huddersfield and hope you get the grades for them, or drop both and reapply next year for Manchester/Keele. You can wait to Results Day to decide to do this if you want to. Bear in mind that of course there is no guarantee that either Manchester or Keele would automatically offer you a place for 2014 even if you did meet their grade requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending