Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Homosexual to Heterosexual conversion - is it possible? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DYKWIA)
    Why? You are blinded by your homosexual bias.

You admit that you don't speak for all the gays. So what right do you have to say what they can and cannot do to get treated?

Conversion therapy is not indoctrination. It gives gay people a choice. It allows us to help them.

I'm not a homophobe.
    I'm sorry but I have homosexual bias but that doesn't mean **** if your argument is as good as my previous analogy.

I never said I didn't I just said that most people shared my opinion - because that's generally the seen as correct opinion (because it's not bat**** crazy)

Conversion therapy is indoctrination - it basically tortures people into thinking being gay is wrong and think that being gay is wrong. There is 0 choice in it. Also who are you to say that we need help? That's extremely bigoted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    I'm sorry but I have homosexual bias but that doesn't mean **** if your argument is as good as my previous analogy.

I never said I didn't I just said that most people shared my opinion - because that's generally the seen as correct opinion (because it's not bat**** crazy)
    Again, this is your opinion, not fact. It's not 'correct'. If people want the freedom to be straight, then you should let them.

Conversion therapy is indoctrination - it basically tortures people into thinking being gay is wrong and think that being gay is wrong. There is 0 choice in it. Also who are you to say that we need help? That's extremely bigoted.
    It's not like that any more. People have a choice in it if they are over 18 and if they are kids then their parents have the right and the duty to help their children. There is nothing wrong with it.

Many gay people want our help to be straight. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being gay, but you have to realize that not all gays share your views.

ReputationRep:
    Again, this is your opinion, not fact. It's not 'correct'. If people want the freedom to be straight, then you should let them.
    Still probably the majority opinion from gays.
    It's not like that any more. People have a choice in it if they are over 18 and if they are kids then their parents have the right and the duty to help their children. There is nothing wrong with it.

Many gay people want our help to be straight. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being gay, but you have to realize that not all gays share your views.
    Gay conversion therapy is illegal and it's torture - have you never seen what it's like in one - google them or watch the BBC3 documentary on it. They are evil organisations.

I don't think the parents have the rights at all, if they send their kids to one of those where it is legal they are terrible parents and there is a good chance their child will become psychologically damaged or even try to kill themselves - there is a hell of a lot wrong with it.

Some do, but it's still a minority. I recognise that not all don't accept my views, I've said this in every response I have given you but you seriously have an issue with selective reading. The vast majority disagree with you however.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that you are all gay. You clearly have an agenda against straight people and against NARTH. Just because you disagree with the outcomes of these multiple studies (not all conducted by NARTH) doesn't mean they are untrue. You should let other gay people choose their own way. Don't force them to remain gay against their will, just because you need support for your views.
    NARTH is widely recognised as a hate group, and frankly it should be a proscribed organisation viewed with the same derision as people who perform lobotomies for conditions like "female hysteria". The studies you mention are invariably either very old and discredited, or very new and not peer reviewed (usually in a deliberate attempt by the authors to avoid being discredited).

If there were a safe and effective way of changing a persons sexual orientation, I'm sure it would have been but through peer review and clinical trial. After all, the world and in particular parts of your country (which has a huge medical technology industry) is full of foul little bigots like you who would push such things through the approval process quicker than one can say "ego-dystonia" given half a chance. I could not object to the availability of such a treatment.

But what a shock! Such a treatment does not exist, is not approved; in fact everything which purports to be such a treatment is provably at least one of harmful and ineffective, often both. Promoting such "therapies" is at best quackery, it's deeply unethical, and anyone who has anything to do with such things deserves very serious scrutiny.

However, we have aeteology and treatment for why a small minority of gay people wish to change their sexual orientation, to the point where they suffer depression and even suicide because they can't. It turns out to be largely because people like you exist, but don't worry - you're not going to be allowed to drive people into depression and suicide for much longer, and we're getting better at offsetting the torment that you like to inflict.

To be clear: by promoting such "therapies" you deliberately inflict harm on others. This is not a matter of choice, because there is not a viable option.

ReputationRep:

I'm not a homophobe.
    LOL. just look at your new picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    Still probably the majority opinion from gays.

Gay conversion therapy is illegal and it's torture - have you never seen what it's like in one - google them or watch the BBC3 documentary on it. They are evil organisations.

I don't think the parents have the rights at all, if they send their kids to one of those where it is legal they are terrible parents and there is a good chance their child will become psychologically damaged or even try to kill themselves - there is a hell of a lot wrong with it.

Some do, but it's still a minority. I recognise that not all don't accept my views, I've said this in every response I have given you but you seriously have an issue with selective reading. The vast majority disagree with you however.
    By that logic gays are also a minority and so why should we care about their rights? Just because a minority of gays don't like being gay doesn't mean you have the right to destroy their rights.

(Original post by mmmpie)
    NARTH is widely recognised as a hate group, and frankly it should be a prescribed organisation viewed with the same derision as people who perform lobotomies for conditions like "female hysteria". The studies you mention are invariably either very old and discredited, or very new and not peer reviewed (usually in a deliberate attempt by the authors to avoid being discredited).
    BS. Look at the NARTH mission statement:

"We respect the right of all individuals to choose their own destiny. NARTH is a professional, scientific organization that offers hope to those who struggle with unwanted homosexuality. As an organization, we disseminate educational information, conduct and collect scientific research, promote effective therapeutic treatment, and provide referrals to those who seek our assistance.

NARTH upholds the rights of individuals with unwanted homosexual attraction to receive effective psychological care and the right of professionals to offer that care. We welcome the participation of all individuals who will join us in the pursuit of these goals."

NARTH protects gay people and was set up to help the gays.

If there were a safe and effective way of changing a persons sexual orientation, I'm sure it would have been but through peer review and clinical trial. After all, the world and in particular parts of your country (which has a huge medical technology industry) is full of foul little bigots like you who would push such things through the approval process quicker than one can say "ego-dystonia" given half a chance. I could not object to the availability of such a treatment.
    I don't like the tone of this. You can call me names - this just suggests that you are getting angry that people are seeing through your propaganda.

There are already safe treatments for homosexuality that are offered to those who want the help. These therapies are not forced on people who don't want them.

However, we have aeteology and treatment for why a small minority of gay people wish to change their sexual orientation, to the point where they suffer depression and even suicide because they can't. It turns out to be largely because people like you exist, but don't worry - you're not going to be allowed to drive people into depression and suicide for much longer, and we're getting better at offsetting the torment that you like to inflict.

To be clear: by promoting such "therapies" you deliberately inflict harm on others. This is not a matter of choice, because there is not a viable option.
    Why do you have such cynical views of me? I am not against gay rights, nor do I wanna hurt gay people. I want to help gay people and I want to fight homosexual supremacy.

Why are you afraid to even let gay people try?

ReputationRep:
    They are ran by religious bigots.

I have a bi friend - why should he need to change?

ReputationRep:
    By that logic gays are also a minority and so why should we care about their rights? Just because a minority of gays don't like being gay doesn't mean you have the right to destroy their rights.
    :facepalm2: I know it massages your ego, but yes - we are a minority. However, we aren't 'destroying the rights of any minority' - self-hating gay people can abstain from same sex and do what they want, but the conversion therapy is a bs science which is torture.

"We respect the right of all individuals to choose their own destiny. NARTH is a professional, scientific organization that offers hope to those who struggle with unwanted homosexuality. As an organization, we disseminate educational information, conduct and collect scientific research, promote effective therapeutic treatment, and provide referrals to those who seek our assistance.

NARTH upholds the rights of individuals with unwanted homosexual attraction to receive effective psychological care and the right of professionals to offer that care. We welcome the participation of all individuals who will join us in the pursuit of these goals."

Dude, NARTH is an organisation funded for and ran by a bunch of gay haters - it's all lies and all bs.
    insert illogical crap with intent to offend from DYKWIA
    I'm not responding to this.

ReputationRep:
    There are already safe treatments for homosexuality that are offered to those who want the help. These therapies are not forced on people who don't want them.

Why do you have such cynical views of me? I am not against gay rights, nor do I wanna hurt gay people. I want to help gay people and I want to fight homosexual supremacy.

The only gay people who voluntarily sign up for "treatment" are those who are psychologically unwell due to an unhappiness about the realization of being gay and an inability to accept it. It is preying on the vulnerable and potentially worsening this unhappiness that is the disingenuous and distasteful aspect of NARTH.

I am more than happy for you to waste a couple of hours trying to "treat" me - as a now comfortable, successful gay man - but you wouldn't be interested in that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    The only gay people who voluntarily sign up for "treatment" are those who are psychologically unwell due to an unhappiness about the realization of being gay and an inability to accept it. It is preying on the vulnerable and potentially worsening this unhappiness that is the disingenuous and distasteful aspect of NARTH.

I am more than happy for you to waste a couple of hours trying to "treat" me - as a now comfortable, successful gay man - but you wouldn't be interested in that.
    This. FFS PRSOM.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does work. There is much evidence that people are not born gay, or if they are that it is something influenced by the environment. Therefore it is possible to make gays straight.

Also, there is nothing homophobic about encouraging people to become straight. Why not give people a choice?
    I'd neg you but ive reached the limit of how many posts I can rate today...

Thats quite obviously homophobic, youre suggesting that homosexuality is 'wrong' and therefore needs correcting. You say people should be given a choice, fair enough if you believe that but you advocate "encouraging people to become straight" as though they should desire to be straight. If it's influenced by the environment, youre suggesting human influence on a persons sexuality, which although arguably could contribute to some extent, the fact that we have also observed homosexuality in animals suggests that it is not the root cause and that homosexuality is a perfectly natural occurence.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, considering you claim the opposite when it suits you.

NARTH only conduct one of their four stated goals then. the don't disseminate educational information, since that would involve providing objective briefings aimed at informing; they don't conduct scientific research, because that would involve not deciding the conclusions before they being a study and not discarding information which doesn't suit them; and they don't promote effective theraputic treatment.

Even if I were to believe that they had good intentions, they employ appalling means. As it happens I don't believe they have good intentions.

I don't like the tone of this. You can call me names - this just suggests that you are getting angry that people are seeing through your propaganda.

You don't like my tone? Tough. You're going to spend most of your life ostracised and ridiculed, I'm probably quite civil. Certainly more so than you deserve.

There are no such treatments, and if there were they would still be inappropriate in the vast majority of cases. We don't amputate people's limbs, just because they have body dysmorphia. Why should we alter their personality because they have ego dystonia?

I have an entirely realistic view of you: you are a foul, pathetic, bigoted excuse for a human being whose homophobia and xenophobia are fuelled by paranoid delusions and misplaced resentment; a repetitive, obscene and simple-minded gnome who will happily promote the torture and death of others at a remove and cry about it if confronted, but never change your position; a privileged fool who believes that rights are somehow a zero-sum game and anyone who dares to challenge your right to oppress them is somehow an extremist (and usually a communist, for some reason). You're a throwback to McCarthyism on your better days. You don't want to hurt gay people, but you want things which implicitly do hurt gay people and which serve no other purpose - and you know this. You are the epitome of the modern-day western homophobe; congratulations.

If we had the technology to alter a person's sexual orientation, when would it's use be indicated? When you come out at 14 and your parents disapprove? How about when you're 18, and it's auntie's condition on helping you pay for university? Or when you're forty, and your employer pressures you? should a doctor prescribe it when you're depressed because of homophobic bullying? What if it can run the other way; should it be indicated for infertile women to be altered into lesbians, since they would be dependent on ART for reproduction anyway? Should churches offer it, in furtherance of their religious goals, to anyone who they can talk into a sufficient degree of self-loathing? The idea of this technology existing is quite terrifying, but since it doesn't exist it's not an urgent problem.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that you are all gay. You clearly have an agenda against straight people and against NARTH. Just because you disagree with the outcomes of these multiple studies (not all conducted by NARTH) doesn't mean they are untrue. You should let other gay people choose their own way. Don't force them to remain gay against their will, just because you need support for your views.
    I'm not gay.
    They are biased.

Try again.

ReputationRep:
    It might help. Not if your homosexuality is more biologically determined though, and that is the consensus nowadays isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    FFS, the answer is NO!

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    The only gay people who voluntarily sign up for "treatment" are those who are psychologically unwell due to an unhappiness about the realization of being gay and an inability to accept it.
    Hence why it is obviously still exists - there are those who make use of it.

It will be interesting to see what changes come in the DSM-V.

ReputationRep:
    Well Will young did it

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesn't work. There wouldn't be such a thing if people would just quit being homophobic and start being tolerant to people no matter their sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elitemodella)
    Well Will young did it
    He did? When?

(Original post by eelnais)
    There wouldn't be such a thing if people would just quit being homophobic and start being tolerant to people no matter their sexuality.
    Interesting, but doesn't sound like it can be proven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)
    Interesting, but doesn't sound like it can be proven.
    Are there heterosexual to homosexual conversion camps?

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.