Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Homosexual to Heterosexual conversion - is it possible? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eelnais)
    Are there heterosexual to homosexual conversion camps?
    I have never personally seen one so maybe someone else can answer this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)
    I have never personally seen one so maybe someone else can answer this?
    I have never heard of one either. Unless someone corrects me, I can then make a judgement from that. People are tolerant of heterosexual people. There are no camps trying to change them from who they are. Therefore, if people are tolerant of homosexual people, there are no camps trying to change them from who they are.

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard of one either. Unless someone corrects me, I can then make a judgement from that. People are tolerant of heterosexual people. There are no camps trying to change them from who they are. Therefore, if people are tolerant of homosexual people, there are no camps trying to change them from who they are.
    Sorry I misread, but its the same answer both ways - I am not aware if there are any homosexual to heterosexual camps either.

Individual conversion therapy yes, but, camps for large numbers of ppl? Do these actually exist?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but not with current scientific knowledge. I suppose we would be able to change any aspects of our psychology eventually, just like genotypes are being modified in lab rats. It is, after all, just chemical and electrical impulses at a fundamental level. Once science figures out the complex interplay of these processes they will be able to modify them.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I misread, but its the same answer both ways - I am not aware if there are any homosexual to heterosexual camps either.

Individual conversion therapy yes, but, camps for large numbers of ppl? Do these actually exist?
    Sorry, I was using camp generally to refer to lots of people undergoing therapy, but I had a quick search and it does appear that there are gay conversion camps about.

ReputationRep:
    One of my relatives is gay and he spent years trying to "cure" himself. He went to therapy and he prayed to God about it every single day. The people at his church told him he wasn't praying enough and if he carried on, he would eventually be cured.

He actually ended up having a breakdown and spending some time in hospital. There may have been other factors involved in that, but this constant struggle with his sexual orientation was definitely a major factor. He's finally managed to accept his sexual orientation now and is a lot happier.

I find it heartbreaking when people try to "cure" themselves of having an attraction to the same sex. If you can't accept who you are (and I'm not saying your sexual orientation defines who you are, but it is a part of you), it's a real shame. These camps and therapies shouldn't even exist. It's sick.

ReputationRep:
    It depends just how gay you are on the spectrum I expect, and also whether you're still a teenager.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    It depends just how gay you are on the spectrum I expect, and also whether you're still a teenager.
    Nono. I don't think it depends on how young you are, in fact in the US they're trying to make it illegal for kids to receive that therapy (yes they do do it to kids) since it's torture. They use electrotherapy in some places and I can't imagine anything more harmful than telling a teenager or a kid that they're bad, that they have a demon inside them or some made up bs these people come up with.

Besides... a therapy camp where a male religious leader gets to get up close and personal with a bunch of confused and probably (by now) psychologically damaged young boys? DEFINITELY gives off the wrong vibe.

Though I do believe that it's a spectrum. Just like there's some people who ARE the spectrum. They could go out with a man, woman and even transgender people who for some reason don't get included as much into some of these conversations.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    Yes, but not with current scientific knowledge. I suppose we would be able to change any aspects of our psychology eventually, just like genotypes are being modified in lab rats. It is, after all, just chemical and electrical impulses at a fundamental level. Once science figures out the complex interplay of these processes they will be able to modify them.
    That's the same ridiculous idea that encourages these people to use electroshock therapy on people to try and 'cure' being gay. It's not psychological, it's genetic. Very big difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RBRo)
    That's the same ridiculous idea that encourages these people to use electroshock therapy on people to try and 'cure' being gay. It's not psychological, it's genetic. Very big difference.
    What? The phenomenon of sexual attraction is exclusively psychological. The reason you are sexually attracted to people and not a rosebush, for example, is due to differing psychological responses to the two objects.

You're referring to the debate over the acquisition of this differential psychological attraction: whether it is predetermined or acquired later in life.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    What? The phenomenon of sexual attraction is exclusively psychological. The reason you are sexually attracted to people and not a rosebush, for example, is due to differing psychological responses to the two objects.

You're referring to the debate over the acquisition of this differential psychological attraction: whether it is predetermined or acquired later in life.
    Ok, yes that's right. But that can't be 'redirected' to anyone's convenience. Now or later on. It's in your genes, it can't be changed. Genes cannot be modified. With rats what they do is affect it so in the NEXT generation there's a shift.

ReputationRep:
    Are there heterosexual to homosexual conversion camps?
    Canal Street and Soho.

Many a "straight" guy have been observed getting it on with another guy at venues on these locations down the years.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Canal Street and Soho.

Many a "straight" guy have been observed getting it on with another guy at venues on these locations down the years.
    XD Kahahaha!

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting. Happen to know the author or have a link to this?
    Sorry, I just realised you quoted me. I'm afraid I can't find that exact study, but there are others:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19207819

I recently found this, but don't have time to study it (and don't know a think about Drosophila breeding behaviour): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22683328

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Interesting point there.

Teenagers are not exactly the best candidates for analysis for a whole mountain of reasons.

ReputationRep:

If the basis for sexuality is genetic then only its manifestation is psychological so "treatment" on that level won't be anywhere near as effective as some kind of gene therapy.
    I thought scientists had reached a consensus on the nature vs nurture of homosexuality anyway. (That it's more nature than nurture)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    If the basis for sexuality is genetic then only its manifestation is psychological so "treatment" on that level won't be anywhere near as effective as some kind of gene therapy.
    I thought scientists had reached a consensus on the nature vs nurture of homosexuality anyway. (That it's more nature than nurture)
    This is the problem, we haven't got a firm answer yet or anything that can be taken as fact from science.

Been reading some interesting stuff that reckons becoming a homosexual is nearly always as a result of rocky relationships, abuse etc. May not be true, but interesting reading and things to think about anyway.

ReputationRep:
    This is the problem, we haven't got a firm answer yet or anything that can be taken as fact from science.

Been reading some interesting stuff that reckons becoming a homosexual is nearly always as a result of rocky relationships, abuse etc. May not be true, but interesting reading and things to think about anyway.
    Care to share the source of this 'interesting stuff'? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Care to share the source of this 'interesting stuff'? :rolleyes:
    Don't have any specific source.

Just google "being homosexual is a result of bad relationships" and there's a bunch of stuff comes up.

Like I said, not my writing or opinion, am just reading through some of it. Quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have any specific source.

Just google "being homosexual is a result of bad relationships" and there's a bunch of stuff comes up.

Like I said, not my writing or opinion, am just reading through some of it. Quite interesting.
    I could see the process of it. Bad relationship = loss of trust/faith/appreciation for other gender = stereotyping to "all men/women are stupid and don't understand me, whereas those of my gender do", etc.

Obviously this is NOT ALWAYS THE CASE, but it maybe in some cases.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.