Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Homosexual to Heterosexual conversion - is it possible? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)
    That is understandable - but the question is not so much "do you/would you want to", more that if a person did want to, is it even possible.
    I don't think it's possible. But out of interest have there been any cases were it's been 'successful'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I don't think it's possible. But out of interest have there been any cases were it's been 'successful'?
    That's what I would like to know myself.

There are plenty of cases in the USA where many would try to tell us it has been successful, but then again, how many years do we have to wait to tell whether it has actually been a complete success or not?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    That's what I would like to know myself.

There are plenty of cases in the USA where many would try to tell us it has been successful, but then again, how many years do we have to wait to tell whether it has actually been a complete success or not?
    I saw an article recently that the 'poster boy' for gay conversion therapy has come out as still gay. I suppose that doesn't mean there are no success stories, but I'm very sceptical

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I saw an article recently that the 'poster boy' for gay conversion therapy has come out as still gay. I suppose that doesn't mean there are no success stories, but I'm very sceptical
    I know, I posted the link for that here for everyone to read a few posts back.

People in previous posts have said (and I'm paraphrasing) if it works, the person was never really gay.

Again, something else to be sceptical of.

(Original post by G8D)
    This is all in theory, of course. I'm not well read on the practices of homo to hetero techniques currently used throughout the world.
    Would love to know what some of them actually are and if there are any universal techniques.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I know, I posted the link for that here for everyone to read a few posts back.

People in previous posts have said (and I'm paraphrasing) if it works, the person was never really gay.
    Ah right, I've not read back through this thread in a while, sorry

I would be sceptical of that also, but it is a possibility

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this is relevant but after leaving a pride night the other night, some of us got chatting to the Christian Union who were giving cups of tea and stuff out and the one woman I was talking to said she was completely fine with LGBT and had some close LGBT friends so it didn't matter and that God loves us all anyway. I'm much more likely to be swayed into religion by someone level-headed and as kind as she was than any bigot who preaches that the LGBT way of life is sinful and that we're going to hell for it. Aren't they sinning God by disregarding the whole 'Love Thy Neighbour' if they are Christian anyway??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    Yes, but if you are of the view homosexuality is not hard-wired, something the leader of the human genome project states, why not condition them back into heterosexuality, and the ability to naturally have a family and lead a normal life?
    I have to say, as a lesbian, I don't see what is abnormal about my life. I work, go home, walk the dog, have a cup of tea and watch soaps. Pretty average life.

Also 'back into heterosexuality' I have never been heterosexual so there would be nothing to go back to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    I don't know if this is relevant but after leaving a pride night the other night, some of us got chatting to the Christian Union...aren't they sinning God by disregarding the whole 'Love Thy Neighbour' if they are Christian anyway??
    That's more of a religion question than one for this thread.

Probably fits better here:
    'Am I going to hell if I'm gay?'
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2337615

Next time you see them though, ask them what they think of Heterosexual to Homosexual conversion. Would love to hear their answers on that one.

(Original post by Caramarley)
    Also 'back into heterosexuality' I have never been heterosexual so there would be nothing to go back to.
    That all depends on the whole 'born gay' thing though - I get where he is coming from.

ReputationRep:
    That's more of a religion question than one for this thread.

Probably fits better here:
    'Am I going to hell if I'm gay?'
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2337615

Next time you see them though, ask them what they think of Heterosexual to Homosexual conversion. Would love to hear their answers on that lol
    TY. The reason for my confusion was because a lot of these conversion camps seem to have a religious angle or reasoning behind them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    TY. The reason for my confusion was because a lot of these conversion camps seem to have a religious angle or reasoning behind them.
    You could be right actually, strangely after all these pages I don't think we have actually discussed that angle of it very much?

On the other hand, I wonder if there are some/any camps that don't have any religious angle to them at all and what their angle then is instead?

ReputationRep:
    surely it is time to call "time" on this question. I had hoped that we had moved on from the unenlightened times. Whatever sexuality someone is, that is who they are. We are not talking about hair colour, that women (and some men) change all the time. This is a fundamental issue of a person's sexuality. It is not a choice. People are made in many ways. We are discovering more about this. Thankfully there is more than one homosexual on the planet, and there is therfore a choice of potential partners.
    If you are gay, so be it. Each person should be comfortable with who they are. The real question may not be about conversion of sexual preference, but rather "How do I come to terms with my own sexuality, and how do I let my friends and family know that I am gay?"

ReputationRep:
    You could be right actually, strangely after all these pages I don't think we have actually discussed that angle of it very much?

On the other hand, I wonder if there are some/any camps that don't have any religious angle to them at all and what their angle then is instead?
    My view on the religious angle actually comes from a well-loved show of mine - Desperate Housewives

In Season 1 Andrew had a very hard time coming out to Bree and ended up rebelling a fair bit. I don't know if you watched the show but Bree was a housewife who still lived in the 50s and had strong religious values. Obviously she didn't know what was up with him so she sent him to a behavioural centre, where Andrew came out to his Dad, Rex and asked Rex to tell Bree. Bree dragged Andrew out of the camp and tried to get the vicar to preach to him as she feared his soul would go to hell. It wasn't really until Season 3 that she began to deal with it well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CRIKEY12)
    Whatever sexuality someone is, that is who they are. This is a fundamental issue of a person's sexuality.
    The problem is, as is being evidenced in both directions - whatever sexuality someone is, that is not always what they will remain. And therein lies some of the problem.

The rest of the problem being if we knew definitively whether or not people were "born gay", then the question would probably be answered once and for all - because we don't have this answer, this is why these questions continue to be asked.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    The rest of the problem being if we knew definitively whether or not people were "born gay", then the question would probably be answered once and for all - because we don't have this answer, this is why these questions continue to be asked.
    Yes, but not knowing whether people are born gay doesn't prevent people from knowing they've only ever been attracted to the same-sex. Which surely amounts to the same thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The problem is, as is being evidenced in both directions - whatever sexuality someone is, that is not always what they will remain. And therein lies some of the problem.

Why is this a problem? It's a curiosity, at best.

ReputationRep:
    That is understandable - but the question is not so much "do you/would you want to", more that if a person did want to, is it even possible.
    Like I said, unless they're bisexual leaning one way or the other, I don't see how it would be. I think it's a polygenic trait (people often think it's a matter of isolating a specific gene for something to be genetic/hereditary; it isn't that simple a great many traits, hence why top-down analysis works better for polygenic traits), to begin with, and of course you also have the added effect of epigenetics to account for. So it's not a matter of choice. Bisexuality, on the other hand, can run a gamut of preferences, from being inclined strongly to males or females, to changes in the strength of the particular preference, and I believe this is often what is confused for 'conversions'.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but not knowing whether people are born gay doesn't prevent people from knowing they've only ever been attracted to the same-sex. Which surely amounts to the same thing?
    Remember though from what aspect that question was being asked - the issue was why questions about homosexuals are even being asked at all.

I don't know about others, but the answer (for this one) is because while some people know they've only ever been attracted to the same-sex, others either aren't sure or don't want to be - hence why we have these Homo to Hetero conversion schemes even exist.

To bring it full circle, my question was, they exist, but do they actually work.

ReputationRep:
    If it is, does that mean I can be converted from hetero to bi?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    If it is, does that mean I can be converted from hetero to bi?
    As someone mentioned above, it is easier if the person is willing.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, surely. Thanks for saying that - it seems ridiculously obvious but it needed saying because I've sat and read through all 9 pages of this thread (like some kind of bad book you've started so you feel you have to finish reading) and it seems some people are almost under the impression that homosexual attraction is not as instinctual as heterosexual attraction - as if it's secondary maybe, and does not occur naturally.

People have pointed out previously that heterosexual attraction is far more common than homosexual attraction in humans and that sexual organs are evolved to be complementary and ease procreation. This is all true, obviously, but you point these facts out as if every time a person experiences homosexual attraction it must be an unnatural experience requiring effort and choice because they have to ignore all these 'natural' things - people experiencing same sex attraction are not thinking about that. What they are feeling, to them, feels completely natural and not some choice at all. They are only thinking, 'I am attracted, I am drawn to this person emotionally and physically'. When kids aged 8, 9, 10, first start to be drawn to other people in a romantic way, emotionally & physically, it makes no difference to the feeling of attraction and longing if the person they are attracted to is of the opposite sex or the same sex.

Clearly, it is less common to feel predominantly or exclusively homosexual attraction - that is a statistical fact - but just because it is less common and naturally not useful for continuation of a species, doesn't mean it will be more easily overridden (one of the bases for conversion therapy, presumably) than heterosexual attraction. Feeling homosexual attraction is just as instinctual an experience as feeling heterosexual attraction, so it must be as strongly backed up by psychological/genetic/hormonal factors - the fact that those factors are unusual or less typical in a human, (and less useful in terms of procreation) doesn't mean they are a problem. They're not even so much as inconvenient since we have no population shortage. And if it is as painful and pointless an exercise as someone trying to alter all the things that come together to make someone experience predominantly heterosexual attraction, why should these therapies be considered fair and allowed? Why can't the message be to people experiencing homosexual attraction, "You're unusual, it's not as common, but it's not a problem and your feelings are as real and as natural for you as anyone else's".

Sorry, I have written quite a lot here.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.