Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite interested in philosophy and would be delighted if anyone could recommend me some notable philosophers to read about.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Me!

Oh, notable...

Are you just referring to Western Philosophy? Well, as Whitehead once said, all western philosophy is a footnote to Plato and Aristotle. For Plato try the Republic and Symposium. For Aristotle try Nichomachean Ethics.

For Early Modern Philosophy then Descartes (Meditations), Thomas Hobbes (Leviathon), Spinoza (Ethics) and David Hume. Also Immanuel Kant, though I've always found him a bit dry.

Nietzsche is quite an interesting chap, though can be difficult to read.

For existentialism/Sartre it's probably best to start with Sartre's own "Existentianilsm and Humanism".

If you're interested in political philosophy, especially liberalism, then John Stuart Mill is required reading. Try his "On Liberty". It's a very influential text and also fairly easy to read. For his ethics and further reading in utilitarianism try his text "Utilitarianism".

For general texts Bertrand Russell's "An Introduction to Western Philosophy", John Hosper's "An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis".

Or just see this page for some general reading suggestions

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...osophy_reading

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.