The Student Room Group

Why do so few girls study comp sci?

I honestly have no idea. It's not like they use computers any less?
Reply 1
They do I.T mostly, in my Uni like 10 girls out of 150 guys do C.S!!
Reply 2
Original post by TanveerSFC
They do I.T mostly, in my Uni like 10 girls out of 150 guys do C.S!!

That makes no sense.

@OP, using a computer as most people do is very different from CS.
Reply 3
Original post by Sinsevenln
That makes no sense.

@OP, using a computer as most people do is very different from CS.

I will re-explain
two courses
I.T
And
C.S

Most girls prefer I.T over C.S. which is male dominated
Reply 4
Original post by TanveerSFC
I will re-explain
two courses
I.T
And
C.S

Most girls prefer I.T over C.S. which is male dominated

It's probably because IT is softer.
Reply 5
Hey, I'm planning to study computer science this year at QMUL and if you have not notice yet yes I am a girl :tongue:
Why do few men study childcare? :confused:
Reply 7
What I can realize nowadays is that They are becoming closer to IT related Subjects in recent Times. Like Electronics & Communication Engineering & ICT.
Reply 8
Because women are more inclined to choose people-oriented subjects. They are also more inclined to choose subjects related to creativity and the visual (arts, fashion etc).

Men and women are different and have different preferences and interests (needless to say I am not a feminist, and I do believe men and women are different from birth and that it's not all "social influence"). No matter how many options people have, women are less inclined to choose some of these subjects and even if they study law with excellent grades they are less likely to give up family and all private life to reach the top and become a supreme court judge or something along those lines.

In polls, women also respond that good relationships with coworkers are very important to them and they value positive feedback and reassurance the most, whereas men are more likely to measure their success in terms of salary. So positions which doesn't appear to be people-oriented and social, will appeal less to women, on the whole.
Reply 9
I honestly do not know...
For me, the reason i don't take computer science is not because i am not interested in it, i have many friends who do it but i wasn't introduced to it on time! I am currently taking it up as a hobby though. I find it to be very interesting and i talk about it to all my friends.
Why? - I don't know exactly, but I guess it is the same as the general geek thing, why do more men play video games, read comics like gadgets/technology.

I'd say it is just looked down upon by most as a geek type thing, which although seems to be growing into a mainstream look, it's still kinda thought that if you study this you must be such and such.

Like a guy might be considered 'gay' or whatever for studying something seen as feminine.
Reply 11
Original post by Millie228
Because women are more inclined to choose people-oriented subjects. They are also more inclined to choose subjects related to creativity and the visual (arts, fashion etc).

Men and women are different and have different preferences and interests (needless to say I am not a feminist, and I do believe men and women are different from birth and that it's not all "social influence"). No matter how many options people have, women are less inclined to choose some of these subjects and even if they study law with excellent grades they are less likely to give up family and all private life to reach the top and become a supreme court judge or something along those lines.

In polls, women also respond that good relationships with coworkers are very important to them and they value positive feedback and reassurance the most, whereas men are more likely to measure their success in terms of salary. So positions which doesn't appear to be people-oriented and social, will appeal less to women, on the whole.

Sorry i'd just like to say you can also be creative with computer science.
I wouldn't say there's a huge gender difference its more of a personal preferance. As much as i love art, fashion & music etc. I also absolutely love things that'd be associated with men.
Not to dig or anything...its just my opinion.
Reply 12
Original post by Millie228

I wouldn't say there's a huge gender difference its more of a personal preference. As much as i love art, fashion & music etc. I also absolutely love things that'd be associated with men.
Reply 13
Original post by Helloworld_95
You're not really helping your argument by spelling misogynistic, disrespectful, automatically and computing incorrectly. Or having the username TeenMilf. Or implying that women are soft. Or implying that all men think women are inferior. Most of my friends are women and that's because in my experience women tend to be more mature than men.

Anyway the real reason there are so few women in CompSci is because of differences in what careers each gender wants to go into. Equally more women go into healthcare than men and more men go into jobs involving manual labour than women. It's not to do with sexism, it's just biology and years of psychological development.

I am so glad you said this! It's very true. And yeah it is said men are 3 years behind in terms of maturity apparently at 18 and man/boy behaves or rather thinks like a 15 year old girl.

Plus since studies show women are smarter than men we could study any subject we like, but we choose not too. It depends both on your personal preference and psychological development.
Why do so few guys study English?
Reply 15
Original post by Alexandra's Box
This thread was fun :h:

Yeah it was
Original post by lucine.B

For me, the reason i don't take computer science is not because i am not interested in it,

I am currently taking it up as a hobby though. I find it to be very interesting and i talk about it to all my friends.

you what?
Reply 17
I wouldn't say there's a huge gender difference its more of a personal preferance. As much as i love art, fashion & music etc. I also absolutely love things that'd be associated with men.

There is a creative aspect to most subjects, but computer science is not a creative subject by nature, nor is it people-oriented.
Of course people are different and not everybody subscribes to gender stereotypes, which is why I said "on the whole". The statistics of what men and women generally choose are clear enough either way. You can have hobbies that are very different from your field, but you spend most of your time at work and the people who study computer science wouldn't have chosen such a path unless their passion for it was stronger than their passion for creative or people-oriented fields.
I never said "all women are like this", I was merely giving the OP a response to his question where he, correctly, assessed that computer science is not something women are overall drawn to.
Reply 18
What don't you get exactly???
Well i didn't really know much about it till about 2 years ago or less. I have friends you are into and work in that field, i am very interested in it and i am trying to take it up as a hobby! Basically i have A LOT of interests & hobbies, basically things i'd like to do on the side. Its kinda hard to explain i guess...
Reply 19
I had no idea this was the case and I just don't know but this might be because I'm a girl Comp Scientist so won't know why girls don't pick it. As far as I knew, I loved computers, I loved the concept of programming, designing etc.. took up the course, realized how few girls there were and thought nothing of it really :s-smilie: - Maybe I'm just an anomaly from birth who doesn't fit into what someone said up there about picking "people orientated subjects"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending