Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have applied to St Andrews University (but this question applies to ANY Scottish University), which I did last October, but I wanted to ask a question as an applicant living in England.
    I have discovered that there are in fact two terms at Scottish universities, and not three like English universities have. I wanted to know if this was a big problem/extremely tiring for people studying at St A's or any other Scottish uni? Internationa/EU/RUK students, do you wish that the term dates were shorter so you could go home more often?
    My parents are sort of against me going, because they say that the long term dates compared to other unis are going to wear me out and I'm going to want to come home half way through the terms and I won't be able to. Please, would someone tell me if that is the case? Will I hate it?

Thank you so much - any replies are much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I live/work in Luxembourg and did my undergrad and postgrad studies at Stirling University. At Stirling we got crazy time off... we usually broke up at the end of the exam period around the end of November/beginning of December then went back beginning of February. The summer break was similar... you would often have most of June, then go back mid-September. Then of course there was the odd week here and there for Easter etc... I'm not sure about St. Andrews... but I don't remember it being such a grind. Plenty of time for fun and games. Also had this long distance relationship going on at the time, so frequently ryan aired it back to the mainland. I don't remember it being a problem at all.

Basically to sum it up: heaps of time off. Workload perfectly manageable.

Hope that helps! St. Andrews is a beautiful town and great uni! Good luck!

(Original post by adieu)
    Hi everyone,

I have applied to St Andrews University (but this question applies to ANY Scottish University), which I did last October, but I wanted to ask a question as an applicant living in England.
    I have discovered that there are in fact two terms at Scottish universities, and not three like English universities have. I wanted to know if this was a big problem/extremely tiring for people studying at St A's or any other Scottish uni? Internationa/EU/RUK students, do you wish that the term dates were shorter so you could go home more often?
    My parents are sort of against me going, because they say that the long term dates compared to other unis are going to wear me out and I'm going to want to come home half way through the terms and I won't be able to. Please, would someone tell me if that is the case? Will I hate it?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm studying at Aberdeen at the moment, and have 2 terms per year. I don't find it too tiring, as the terms are only 12 weeks long, and in the second term you get a break for Easter (3 weeks). I started this year at the end of September, and finished near the end of December. I then didn't go back to uni until the 28th of January. We then had class until last week, broke up for 3 weeks and then go back for 3 weeks.

There is plenty time to go home (: some universities finish classes before Easter and only have exams afterwards, but I'm not sure of the St. Andrews format.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adieu)
    Hi everyone,

From my experience term dates in Scotland are shorter than those in England.

At Edinburgh we did an 11 week semester plus 2 weeks of exams before Christmas, then after Christmas we had an 11 week term, then a break of 2 weeks (I think) then the exam season started in mid April so often you were finished exams by early May which is before people at English universities had even started. This meant you got basically all of May, then June, July, August and a bit of September off uni which is plenty enough. In terms of the lengths of each semester it's exactly the same as the school academic year, except you get the entirety of the summer term off so assuming you've been able to cope with 11 or 12 week terms as a student prior to going to uni then you've got nothing to worry about with uni, particularly given you're likely to have a lot less contact hours at uni than you do as an A level student.

I'm not sure where you're from in England but you can easily get back home for a weekend if you wanted to do so providing you're flexible with travel.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.