Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

GCSE History 12 Mark Answer Help please?:/ Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I have been set a 12 mark answer for homework:

‘Individuals and their discoveries are not enough on their own to bring about medical progress.’ Explain how far you think this statement applies to Jenner and his work. (12 marks)

And I need help...
    1. I don't know what to write
    2. I don't know HOW to write it...

So please can I have some help ASAP...

Muchly Appreciated
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I haven't studied the medicine depth study, so I can't help you with the actual content. However, I can help you with how to write it.

The basic success criteria you have to address are (from my School's GCSE History revisiong uide):
    • Addresses both sides of the argument
    • Uses sources explicitly (quotes/details) - aim for 6 in total, ideally 3 on each side of the argument
    • Uses own knowledge - aim for 4 distinct 'bits' of own knowledge
    • Evaluates the usefulness or reliability of sources (do this for 4 sources)
    • Justifies a convincing overall argument in the conclusion

You want to start of with an introduction, setting up which of your sources suggests that the statement does apply to Jenner and which do not suggest this (or contradict it). You then want to state your overall line of argument (e.g. this statement does apply fairly well to Jenner).

Your actual essay should be split into two parts, one half arguing the statement does apply and the other arguing the opposite. There are of course different ways to do this. Mainly though, you want to introduce each source, explain what it tells us (linking it to the question) and then evaluate its reliability or usefulness. Cross referencing is brilliant, if you can do it. As I said at the start, you only need to evaluate 4 sources (although more is great).

Your conclusion needs to sum up the argument you have made and explain why one side of the argument is more convincing than the other. Don't analyse sources here, but you can reference them to back up your point.

There should be several model answers on the internet if you need extra help. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    I haven't studied the medicine depth study, so I can't help you with the actual content. However, I can help you with how to write it.

The basic success criteria you have to address are (from my School's GCSE History revisiong uide):
    • Addresses both sides of the argument
    • Uses sources explicitly (quotes/details) - aim for 6 in total, ideally 3 on each side of the argument
    • Uses own knowledge - aim for 4 distinct 'bits' of own knowledge
    • Evaluates the usefulness or reliability of sources (do this for 4 sources)
    • Justifies a convincing overall argument in the conclusion

You want to start of with an introduction, setting up which of your sources suggests that the statement does apply to Jenner and which do not suggest this (or contradict it). You then want to state your overall line of argument (e.g. this statement does apply fairly well to Jenner).

Your actual essay should be split into two parts, one half arguing the statement does apply and the other arguing the opposite. There are of course different ways to do this. Mainly though, you want to introduce each source, explain what it tells us (linking it to the question) and then evaluate its reliability or usefulness. Cross referencing is brilliant, if you can do it. As I said at the start, you only need to evaluate 4 sources (although more is great).

Your conclusion needs to sum up the argument you have made and explain why one side of the argument is more convincing than the other. Don't analyse sources here, but you can reference them to back up your point.

There should be several model answers on the internet if you need extra help. Good luck!

Thank you so much! All sent off now:O

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.