Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

New Job Rant!!! I want to quit already.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!! I'm sorry for posting a new thread, I know it'll be the same rant everyone's seen thousands of times. And it's also my first post, since I've been lurking for a very long time

Basically, I worked in a restaurant/bar for two years. And I complained about it a lot (nothing was really 'by the book') but I miss it in comparison to this job. I was offered a permanent contract at a new store of a big retail chain, Fridays 4-8 and Saturdays 2-6. I accepted this over the phone and handed in my notice at the restaurant. I've had three weeks or so where I've done various training exercises. When it came to signing my contract, it was temporary - only for a month, but I'd already quit and the woman doing my contract said they were expecting most temp staff to be kept on.

I only had my first shift last night, and hated it (mainly because of the boredom...it's not busy at all). But I've had issues with my hours already - last Saturday they phoned me whilst I was in store having my till training to ask if I could swap my 6am start shifts on weekdays to 9am starts. I was very confused obviously since a)I'm on an 8 hour contract, definitely not full time and b)I've got sixth form all day every weekday.... and when I explained that I didn't have a clue what they were talking about and hadn't actually started the job yet they got quite arsey with me! I asked what my correct shifts where and was told that I was working 4-8 on Friday (last night) and 12-4 today.

So I turned up last night, all ready for my first day of work, and nobody had any clue why I was there. My shifts had to be changed on the rota because I can only work 4 hour shifts being 17. (although I had to turn up half an hour early to get my uniform so I've actually done 5 hours last night) They forgot to send me home (you aren't supposed to ask when you can leave, you will be told but after 25 minutes I told them I would be leaving) and missed my train so it took me two and a half hours to get home in the snow. I was not wearing my Docs either so I've ruined a decent pair of shoes. :mad:

I had a look at the rota for today's shifts to see I'm down for 5-9. I was peeved off to say the least but when I tried to speak to my two line managers they both ignored me and shrugged it off. This morning I rang up to ask what time, just in case I'd misread it and all of a sudden, I'm in 4-9. I tried to explain that I couldn't do this since I have plans, it's not inside my availability and I'm only 17 but she palmed me off with some rubbish about it being really busy and I'd have to come in and then hung up after telling me I should have found out what my shifts were last night. I ended up in tears because yesterday, I didn't even know what I was doing - I've been trained for one department but I am working on another, which I don't enjoy as well as not having a clue what I'm meant to be doing. Last night they just threw me onto the shop floor without any prep or intro... Even at my old job with crap management, we let new staff work with old so they could see what they were doing!

I can't decide if it's worth losing my Friday/Saturday nights for the next month to work somewhere for awful pay and hours. I have another job so it's not hugely necessary for me to have a second, it's just for spending money really. It's only temp so I don't see the point in losing my weekends to be miserable! But then since it's only a month, maybe I should stick it out. What would you do in this situation? orry for the rant!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terria)
    Hi guys!! I'm sorry for posting a new thread, I know it'll be the same rant everyone's seen thousands of times. And it's also my first post, since I've been lurking for a very long time

Basically, I worked in a restaurant/bar for two years. And I complained about it a lot (nothing was really 'by the book') but I miss it in comparison to this job. I was offered a permanent contract at a new store of a big retail chain, Fridays 4-8 and Saturdays 2-6. I accepted this over the phone and handed in my notice at the restaurant. I've had three weeks or so where I've done various training exercises. When it came to signing my contract, it was temporary - only for a month, but I'd already quit and the woman doing my contract said they were expecting most temp staff to be kept on.

I only had my first shift last night, and hated it (mainly because of the boredom...it's not busy at all). But I've had issues with my hours already - last Saturday they phoned me whilst I was in store having my till training to ask if I could swap my 6am start shifts on weekdays to 9am starts. I was very confused obviously since a)I'm on an 8 hour contract, definitely not full time and b)I've got sixth form all day every weekday.... and when I explained that I didn't have a clue what they were talking about and hadn't actually started the job yet they got quite arsey with me! I asked what my correct shifts where and was told that I was working 4-8 on Friday (last night) and 12-4 today.

So I turned up last night, all ready for my first day of work, and nobody had any clue why I was there. My shifts had to be changed on the rota because I can only work 4 hour shifts being 17. (although I had to turn up half an hour early to get my uniform so I've actually done 5 hours last night) They forgot to send me home (you aren't supposed to ask when you can leave, you will be told but after 25 minutes I told them I would be leaving) and missed my train so it took me two and a half hours to get home in the snow. I was not wearing my Docs either so I've ruined a decent pair of shoes. :mad:

I had a look at the rota for today's shifts to see I'm down for 5-9. I was peeved off to say the least but when I tried to speak to my two line managers they both ignored me and shrugged it off. This morning I rang up to ask what time, just in case I'd misread it and all of a sudden, I'm in 4-9. I tried to explain that I couldn't do this since I have plans, it's not inside my availability and I'm only 17 but she palmed me off with some rubbish about it being really busy and I'd have to come in and then hung up after telling me I should have found out what my shifts were last night. I ended up in tears because yesterday, I didn't even know what I was doing - I've been trained for one department but I am working on another, which I don't enjoy as well as not having a clue what I'm meant to be doing. Last night they just threw me onto the shop floor without any prep or intro... Even at my old job with crap management, we let new staff work with old so they could see what they were doing!

I can't decide if it's worth losing my Friday/Saturday nights for the next month to work somewhere for awful pay and hours. I have another job so it's not hugely necessary for me to have a second, it's just for spending money really. It's only temp so I don't see the point in losing my weekends to be miserable! But then since it's only a month, maybe I should stick it out. What would you do in this situation? orry for the rant!!!
    It might be something that you look back on later in life and think of as a month of useful experience. As you say it is only a month so what is the worst they can do?
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see this as something you can look back on as a month of "useful experience". It doesn't seem like you're going to gain anything from it. Your managers are changing your shifts at last minute and being unreasonable with your availability because you're a young, temporary member of staff and unfortunately, younger workers are usually told to just get on with it and do what they're told.

Sometimes it's more hassle than it's worth. Your management should be more organized because if they don't know what's going on, how are you supposed to know? It's only a month, sure, but a month long job isn't really worth putting on your CV (once you have a few more years experience, you won't even mention it at all) and it's not long enough to get to know someone who will give you a reference. It's up to you if you want to put up with another 6 shifts of the same kind of treatment, but it won't get better.

ReputationRep:
    Terria you can work much longer then four hour shifts, its upto 8 hours for people above school leaving age but under 18.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/youngpeople/law/hours.htm
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBuck)
    Terria you can work much longer then four hour shifts, its upto 8 hours for people above school leaving age but under 18.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/youngpeople/law/hours.htm
    Yeah that's right. I forgot to mention that. I worked full time when I was 17 - 8 hour shifts 5 days a week.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys! it's not that I can't do more than 4 hour shifts - the company I work for doesn't give under 18s more than 4 hour long shifts because then they have to start giving breaks etc. As it turns out they'd 'forgotten' I'm under 18! I.e. they knew, didn't care and didn't want me to hassle them over it.

I worked yesterday and they changed the rota mid shift without telling anyone and I'd been given overtime for today. I refused to do it on the basis that not telling me I've got it, let alone bothering to ask me if I can work it, is slightly unreasonable. Overheard them *****ing about me later because of it, even though I was very polite and explained I wasn't actually going to be in town today so it was impossible...Their reply was that "it's down in my availability that I can work it so I should come back from a different city for 1pm so I could work." Fortunately since it's not my contracted day/hours I got away with refusing to do it. The whole shift was generally poor, was contemplating walking off after twenty minutes because of the shoddy management but I saw it through and actually enjoyed it because my coworkers were lovely. Not too sure if I can really deal with another 8 weekends of this (I'm working there til mid April).

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys! it's not that I can't do more than 4 hour shifts - the company I work for doesn't give under 18s more than 4 hour long shifts because then they have to start giving breaks etc. As it turns out they'd 'forgotten' I'm under 18! I.e. they knew, didn't care and didn't want me to hassle them over it.

I worked yesterday and they changed the rota mid shift without telling anyone and I'd been given overtime for today. I refused to do it on the basis that not telling me I've got it, let alone bothering to ask me if I can work it, is slightly unreasonable. Overheard them *****ing about me later because of it, even though I was very polite and explained I wasn't actually going to be in town today so it was impossible...Their reply was that "it's down in my availability that I can work it so I should come back from a different city for 1pm so I could work." Fortunately since it's not my contracted day/hours I got away with refusing to do it. The whole shift was generally poor, was contemplating walking off after twenty minutes because of the shoddy management but I saw it through and actually enjoyed it because my coworkers were lovely. Not too sure if I can really deal with another 8 weekends of this (I'm working there til mid April).
    what company is this? it sounds like an absolute disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    what company is this? it sounds like an absolute disgrace.
    had an hour session on the importance of "not shaming the brand" for fear of misconduct interviews so I'll give you some blatant hints: UK-based clothes store, not Arcadia group, very similar target market, mid-range prices and got a bit of a rep on this forum for ****e employment!

ReputationRep:
    Really want to quit because I am working a ridiculous number of hours this week, the 20th April will be my last weekend according to my contract, but I've been invited out and would much rather do that haha. I don't know who to resign to how does this sound as a letter? I'm leaving in an hour for a 5 hour shift, whoopee...
    6th April 2013

FAO: Store Manager
    Please accept this letter as notice of my resignation from the position of Temporary Sales Advisor at ____. As my contract states I will continue to work for____ until Saturday 13th April 2013. I am very grateful for the opportunity that has offered me and I have enjoyed working for the company particularly during the busy opening period, but unfortunately due to previously unforeseen school commitments I am unable to continue my role.
    Yours sincerely,
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Really want to quit because I am working a ridiculous number of hours this week, the 20th April will be my last weekend according to my contract, but I've been invited out and would much rather do that haha. I don't know who to resign to how does this sound as a letter? I'm leaving in an hour for a 5 hour shift, whoopee...
    6th April 2013

FAO: Store Manager
    Please accept this letter as notice of my resignation from the position of Temporary Sales Advisor at ____. As my contract states I will continue to work for____ until Saturday 13th April 2013. I am very grateful for the opportunity that has offered me and I have enjoyed working for the company particularly during the busy opening period, but unfortunately due to previously unforeseen school commitments I am unable to continue my role.
    Yours sincerely,
    I'd leave out the last line actually ("but unfortunately due to..."). You don't need to give them a reason why you're leaving and if they've been a rubbish employer... definitely not. The rest is all fine though. If you can't find your store manage, hand it to your line manager and they'll deal with it or pass it on if they need to.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.