Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Heya, I was just wondering whether there are any medicine students who previously aspired to be a vet, but instead took the medicine pathway. I want to be a vet and am currently in year 13 with AS levels of BBB-not ideal I know. I'd like to know if medicine is less competitive/more leaniant on grades or work experience or whatever. Also, would they accept me as a medicine student seeing as all my work experience is in the veterinary field, and my personal statement is tailored to becoming a vet. What would the potential outcome be if say I applied to both medicine and veterinary medicine when I reapply this year (due to four rejections for vet med this year).

Please can someone help me, I just don't know where to go from here. I'm determined to make my career in this field, but how I'm just not sure. I GREATLY appreciate any help and advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They are completely different subjects, each of which about as competitive as one another. You'd need better grades than BBB to stand any chance applying to medicine - offers are AAA or A*AA everywhere. You may gain some benefit from vet work experience if you spin it correctly, but it is not a substitute for experience in healthcare, something which is virtually compulsory these days. Applying to both courses would be very silly indeed.

You should decide which of these two very different careers you actually want to do before proceeding further, really. Getting the best grades possible in the meantime is clearly beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    They are completely different subjects, each of which about as competitive as one another. You'd need better grades than BBB to stand any chance applying to medicine - offers are AAA or A*AA everywhere. You may gain some benefit from vet work experience if you spin it correctly, but it is not a substitute for experience in healthcare, something which is virtually compulsory these days. Applying to both courses would be very silly indeed.

You should decide which of these two very different careers you actually want to do before proceeding further, really. Getting the best grades possible in the meantime is clearly beneficial.
    BBB at AS can be turned into AAA at A2!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)

I understand that BBB isn't good enough for medicine or veterinary medicine. I've been predicted AAA at A2, so I suppose it all depends on my results in summer. Thank you for clearing things up on the work experience front, I may seek some healthcare orientated work experience in my gap year. Thank you again

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galileo Galilei)
    BBB at AS can be turned into AAA at A2!
    Thank goodness for that! Thank you, I'm going to work my absolute butt off!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I used to want to be a vet but then I did work experience and found out I hate animals :B

You need to decide which you want to study. If you apply to Medicine with a Vet Med PS they'll laugh you out and vice-versa.
    If you're taking a gap year, stuff it full of experience. If you choose to go for Medicine over Vet Med, get looking as early as possible for some kind of work experience (pretty much essential). If you choose to go for Vet Med, concentrate on that.

Medicine is not lenient on grades and there is no point in applying unless you have at least AAA at A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is extremely competitive and it would be ridiculous to try and combine a med and vet application. If you want to study medicine you have lots of work to do - getting relevant work experience, volunteering, preparing for UKCAT / BMAT and researching med schools. You must get a minimum of AAA to be considered - although several schools now ask for A*AA, and many applicants have better grades. Although your vet work exp. could possibly be spun to be included in a med application, mostly they will want to be sure that you have realistic expectations of what a doctor does so some shadowing is highly desirable, plus some sort of caring volunteering - disabled children and old folks homes go over well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pie1213)
    I may seek some healthcare orientated work experience in my gap year. Thank you again
    If you wanted medicine, you must (not may) seek work experience over the summer before you apply (not during gap year).

Gap year work experience is certainly valuable, but the idea of work experience is to assess whether the career is for you and to learn whether you have the characteristics required. That needs to be before you apply, not after - a PS promising experience in the future alone will seem very flimsy indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    I used to want to be a vet but then I did work experience and found out I hate animals :B

You need to decide which you want to study. If you apply to Medicine with a Vet Med PS they'll laugh you out and vice-versa.
    If you're taking a gap year, stuff it full of experience. If you choose to go for Medicine over Vet Med, get looking as early as possible for some kind of work experience (pretty much essential). If you choose to go for Vet Med, concentrate on that.

Medicine is not lenient on grades and there is no point in applying unless you have at least AAA at A-Level.
    Does this mean that I have to organise all my work experience between now and october, because anything that I have organised next year won't be counted as I'll already have applied? I'm really confused :/ sounds silly I know but what am I supposed to do next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean that I have to organise all my work experience between now and october, because anything that I have organised next year won't be counted as I'll already have applied? I'm really confused :/ sounds silly I know but what am I supposed to do next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Gap years are usually a great chance to brush up your application and improve aspects that may have been weak. As you have no medical work experience you would need to get some before applying in October to affirm that medicine is what you want to do. During your gap year you can get more experience, volunteer a bit, get a job and do anything that you may not have had the chance to do previously (eg. learn a language/musical instrument). The year really is what you make of it but if you're going to be in the same position at the time of sending off your application in October as you would have been last year for Medicine then there really would be no point in reapplying. Best get some work experience under your belt and take it from there Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimsiclez)
    Gap years are usually a great chance to brush up your application and improve aspects that may have been weak. As you have no medical work experience you would need to get some before applying in October to affirm that medicine is what you want to do. During your gap year you can get more experience, volunteer a bit, get a job and do anything that you may not have had the chance to do previously (eg. learn a language/musical instrument). The year really is what you make of it but if you're going to be in the same position at the time of sending off your application in October as you would have been last year for Medicine then there really would be no point in reapplying. Best get some work experience under your belt and take it from there Good Luck!
    Thank you! I really appreciate your help and advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You should try and get some work experience before you apply; that way, you're not going into it 'blind' (because you could end up hating the work experience) and you'll have things to put in your personal statement.
    I put my gap year plans in my personal statement. However, as I'd not yet done them, I couldn't say much about them in interviews apart from what I hope to get out of it.

I've filled my gap year with experience (7 months working full-time at a nursing home) and in three weeks I'm off to Kenya for five weeks.
    Then on a holiday to Rome, but that didn't go in my PS

I've also found that it's nice to have a bit of a break from education. As I'm easily bored, I've ended up researching some medical topics that take my interest anyway, but having no exams is a bonus. Plus I've saved money up from my job and have taken time to explore my other interests. Because of my job, I've been able to afford two new lenses (£600 each) for my camera!

ReputationRep:
    Heya, I was just wondering whether there are any medicine students who previously aspired to be a vet, but instead took the medicine pathway. I want to be a vet and am currently in year 13 with AS levels of BBB-not ideal I know. I'd like to know if medicine is less competitive/more leaniant on grades or work experience or whatever. Also, would they accept me as a medicine student seeing as all my work experience is in the veterinary field, and my personal statement is tailored to becoming a vet. What would the potential outcome be if say I applied to both medicine and veterinary medicine when I reapply this year (due to four rejections for vet med this year).

Please can someone help me, I just don't know where to go from here. I'm determined to make my career in this field, but how I'm just not sure. I GREATLY appreciate any help and advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    if you applied for medicine with a vet personal statement you would get rejected. No question.

Why dod you want to study medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    You should try and get some work experience before you apply; that way, you're not going into it 'blind' (because you could end up hating the work experience) and you'll have things to put in your personal statement.
    I put my gap year plans in my personal statement. However, as I'd not yet done them, I couldn't say much about them in interviews apart from what I hope to get out of it.

I've filled my gap year with experience (7 months working full-time at a nursing home) and in three weeks I'm off to Kenya for five weeks.
    Then on a holiday to Rome, but that didn't go in my PS

I've also found that it's nice to have a bit of a break from education. As I'm easily bored, I've ended up researching some medical topics that take my interest anyway, but having no exams is a bonus. Plus I've saved money up from my job and have taken time to explore my other interests. Because of my job, I've been able to afford two new lenses (£600 each) for my camera!
    Wow your gap year sounds really good! Especially the five weeks in Kenya, I bet you're so excited! Talking about what I'd like to get out of my work experience at interviews is also a good idea, seeing as I won't be able to actually say what I gained from it I'd also really like to get a job, and seeing as you've been able to save up so much from yours, it would be really beneficial as I'd love to learn to drive sometime soon Thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    if you applied for medicine with a vet personal statement you would get rejected. No question.

Why dod you want to study medicine?
    I think you misread what I wrote I applied to veterinary medicine this year with a veterinary medicine personal statement, but I just wanted to know whether or not I'd be able to apply to medicine as well as veterinary medicine this year, with a different personal statement. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you misread what I wrote I applied to veterinary medicine this year with a veterinary medicine personal statement, but I just wanted to know whether or not I'd be able to apply to medicine as well as veterinary medicine this year, with a different personal statement. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it'd be an utterly pointless waste of your time if you somehow thought attaining an offer for both courses was an achievable target. Your personal statement would be a compromise of both subjects that would appease the admission department of neither course. Pick one, do the work for that one and apply to that one. By all means waste your fifth option on the other course, but don't expect to get in.

ReputationRep:
    There is absolutely no way you can craft a PS that works for both subjects. Medicine is unbelievably competitive, and I found it incredibly hard fitting in everything I wanted to say in my PS within the word limit - it simply isn't possible to add some vet stuff in. You really need to give this a great deal more thought and decide what you want to do and then work hard towards it.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.