The Student Room Group

What is A Level Chemistry like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A level chemistry sort of explores the core principles of chemistry...you should take it if you are naturally good at chem...it is really going to increase your workload though
Original post by L.Scribbler
Ahh thank you :biggrin: If you don't mind me asking, Which A Levels did you do?

Biology, Chemistry, Physics and I did History for AS.

Got an Offer for Medicine (A100) at Cardiff as well btw.
Reply 22
What exam board would you be using for A level chemistry? I'm asking because I do OCR B (salters) which involves a huge individual investigation which was the bane of my life for 3 months and drove me to the brink of insanity...

But saying that, I do enjoy the content side of it as my course applies the theory to interesting real life situations. It almost makes up for the hideous coursework :thumbsup:
Well, I loved it!

Don't get me wrong, it's a challenge and it's not a subject where you can get away with simply reading the textbook; you actually have to understand the content to get a good grade.

It's a huuuge step-up from GCSE.

Don't let this put you off though; I personally found it a really interesting subject and now I'm at uni (doing genetics) I miss chemistry lots :biggrin:

Don't take it unless you are interested in it because then it will be hell.
AS Chemistry is kinda easy. A2 level, however, is really hard. It'll depend on you as an individual, how academic you are with chemistry and whether or not you need it for university courses.
Original post by paradoxicalme
One word:

Hell.

Exactly what I was going to say!
If you pay good attention at AS level, and get your basics on spot, by on spot I mean literally understand it inside out, then A2 is a bit easier, although during A2 there is a lot of content to cover, knowing your basic foundation AS stuff goes a mile. If you keep up with Chemistry, it keeps up with you. So don't worry, if you work hard, you'll pass with an A/A*!
Reply 27
I'm choosing my A Levels at the moment and I'm definitely taking Biology, Geography and English
I'm just undecided on whether I should take Chemistry... I've heard that Biology GCSE to A Level is a big jump with content and everything but what about Chemistry? I think I'm nervous about taking Chemistry compared to Biology because I enjoy Biology more.

If anyone who's done Chemistry A Level or is doing it has any opinions on what it's like, that would be very helpful :smile:

A Beautiful and immensely rewarding 2 years of my life :smile:
Reply 28
I'm going to be honest with you
If you don't want to do something science related like medicine THEN DON'T DO IT
YOUR DIGGING YOURSELF A HOLE AND ASKING YOURSELD TO JUMP IN IT
A very deep hole.
It's frekin amazeballs! My favourite subject !
Original post by paradoxicalme
One word:

Hell.

Couldn't have put it better.
I'm choosing my A Levels at the moment and I'm definitely taking Biology, Geography and English
I'm just undecided on whether I should take Chemistry... I've heard that Biology GCSE to A Level is a big jump with content and everything but what about Chemistry? I think I'm nervous about taking Chemistry compared to Biology because I enjoy Biology more.

If anyone who's done Chemistry A Level or is doing it has any opinions on what it's like, that would be very helpful :smile:

It's hard, I'm not going to sugarcoat it. But I personally think it's amazing to understand (to some small extent) how the things we use everyday act, (or react :colone:) and come about. I think Chemistry is awesome and would advise it to anybody, but only if you're 100% committed.
Reply 32
Are you good at maths? Because several of my friends who aren't good at maths, struggle with the small amount of maths in Chemistry.
I personally really enjoy chemistry and didn't notice the "big jump" from GCSE, however I'm probably one of the odd ones because in the January exams I got an A, but the rest of my class got Cs and below. Everyone is resitting except me... :colondollar:
Also, I think taking Chemistry really compliments Biology (for my exam board anyway - OCR A). For example, the AS unit 2 of Biology has a module which is mainly all biochemistry and having done unit 1 of Chemistry, it really makes it a lot easier.
Reply 33
Original post by Muppet Science
Biology, Chemistry, Physics and I did History for AS.

Got an Offer for Medicine (A100) at Cardiff as well btw.

You did the same AS that I'm doing.. and I'm applying to Medicine :colone::colone::colone:
Reply 34
Its quite challenging but I find it more interesting than biology! :/ (I always have though) if you're consistent with your revision and don't fall behind you should be fine! :smile: just stay on top of your work, for all your subjects.

Im in Year 12.
If you like it, it will be very easy. I love chemistry and got an A in Jan without much effort, but I had to put a lot more effort in for biology.

On the other hand, one of my friends hates chemistry and finds it really boring. She got a U in January and dropped it.

Depends on the person really, but AS chemistry is honestly no where near as hard as people make it out to be.
I can't comment on A2, unfortunately.
Chemistry A level isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. At the start it is obviously hard, as youve just done gcse's which lets face it, is baby work compared to a level. But once you settle into and adapt to a level life, you start to understand the concepts that come a long with the alevel. The course itself, is not as content filled as biology. Once you start looking deeper into it, in your own time outside of lesson, all becomes clearer and easier..

I myself, kind of neglected the subject and focused on my others, bio and maths mainly. But i still managed to obtain a B in my january exam. Point being, chemistry is a well respected a level, which means it is going to be a hard a level, but that applies to all a levels. Its down to yourself to achieve.
Original post by StephenNaulls
You did the same AS that I'm doing.. and I'm applying to Medicine :colone::colone::colone:

Are we Doppelgängers then?...

Where did you apply?
Reply 38
AS Chemistry is not too bad. Chem 4 stretches you a bit, but is generally okay. Chem 5 however must have spawned from the deepest depths of hell.
Reply 39
Well, I'm doing arguably a few of the hardest A Levels, so I won't be the best person to offer you advice.
But what I'll say is that doing well in Chemistry at A Level requires hard work! Even I didn't do as well as I expected to do in my first module exam in January because I underestimated it (cos I thought I was fine with GCSE Chemistry).. but at AS level you really need to think outside the box in Chemistry. You'll be outlined with some general theory and need to learn to adapt it in different situations. But I guess that goes for any other subject.

Quick Reply

Latest