The Student Room Group

What is A Level Chemistry like?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L.Scribbler
I'm choosing my A Levels at the moment and I'm definitely taking Biology, Geography and English
I'm just undecided on whether I should take Chemistry... I've heard that Biology GCSE to A Level is a big jump with content and everything but what about Chemistry? I think I'm nervous about taking Chemistry compared to Biology because I enjoy Biology more.

If anyone who's done Chemistry A Level or is doing it has any opinions on what it's like, that would be very helpful :smile:

If youre good at it but dont particularly enjoy it, dont do it. I did that and coupled with doing 5 it was too much. The course itself is a living nightmare unless you've got a passion for chemistry or are considering taking it somewhere in life :tongue:
Reply 61
doing 4 A2 from easiest to hardest:
Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics

from the general consensus at school i'd say physics is probably the hardest A level, but im also bias against it because its the one i can't do
Oh thank you, there's somethings im really interested in but theres other areas that i find really boring. What were the balancing equations like at A level? like how hard are they?

There's always some boring areas in any subject. I hated benzene chemistry with a passion :biggrin:

They weren't bad at all- they were all do-able, just sometimes you had to be patient with them and most of them were pretty straight foward.

Don't worry too much about this though- even if you don't balance something right you get a mark for the equation. The only time it might be an issue is if you balanced it wrong, but needed the number for a calculation, but on those questions the balancing was always easy :biggrin:
Everything you get taught in gcse is a lie! The content is A HUGE JUMP from gcse! Like it's crazy, but if you enjoy it and are willing to commit then go ahead!
Reply 64
It's disgusting. Well OCR Salters B is, don't know about the other boards.. D;
I'm choosing my A Levels at the moment and I'm definitely taking Biology, Geography and English
I'm just undecided on whether I should take Chemistry... I've heard that Biology GCSE to A Level is a big jump with content and everything but what about Chemistry? I think I'm nervous about taking Chemistry compared to Biology because I enjoy Biology more.

If anyone who's done Chemistry A Level or is doing it has any opinions on what it's like, that would be very helpful :smile:

I'm in my first year of college I've taken both Biology and Chemistry
Biology is admittedly a lot of content but I really enjoy it :smile: and as long as you just read through your notes and make sure you understand the content and regularly go over stuff you do rather than waiting until couple of weeks before the exam you will be fine.

Chemistry is hard :frown:, I'd be considering dropping it if it wasn't something I needed for Uni, however if you put the revision effort in, seriously you need to ask question if you don't understand something and make sure you go over your notes regularly you should be ok.

College over all is a big jump and I wouldn't even say it gets easier you just adapt to the work demands but it is all about your own effort. If you work hard you'll get the results. If you don't put he work effort in and don't listen in class then you'll seriously bomb :s-smilie:

Another thing, seriously revise for your Jan exams, you want to get good results the first time round or in summer you'll have lots of exams and it will really start to get to you
It's hard.

Revise it regularly and you'll have less/no problems.
Reply 67
I started it this year, and I remember everyone telling how hellish it will be and a MASSSIVE jump,

From my experience, that's all a bit of exaggeration, yeah there's is a jump, but if you face it with the right attitude then you'll do fine. By right I mean, doing your HW, extra reading, notes, paying attention, and patience, you need A LOT of that, because when you manage to understand a topic, you'll feel like Einstein! Trust me that's a great feeling!

oh and get your self a CGP book, you wont live to regret it!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by StephenNaulls
I haven't yet, I'm still doing AS. But i might apply to Cardiff just to make this weirder :biggrin:

What about you?

Ah fair enough. Brighton, Cambridge, Cardiff and Southampton for medicine, then Birmingham is my back up with medical sciences. :P
Reply 69
WOW! soul destroying.. That's kind of off-putting. But I think I am gonna do Chemistry, thanks to everyone for your advice!!! Really did help, thank you.
Reply 70
OCR A2 Chemistry is not rocket science.

Just get high UMS marks at a/s so you can get a B or C and still get an overall A at A2!

In edition, people here are over-reacting. For OCR it was not rocket science at all.

There is no such as 'hard' exam wise.

It's just how much time are you willing to dedicate to it? I don't believe anyone is 'born' anything. Even if they are, show me where they have OCR's spec imprinted in their brains for birth ?

It's all work. Don't let anyone ever tell you that you can't do it. If people can't do something themselves, they want to tell you that you can't do it.

Having said that, don't underestimate anything, work like hell, and work smartly VIA past papers. Don't just cram but learn concepts.
Reply 71
WOW! soul destroying.. That's kind of off-putting. But I think I am gonna do Chemistry, thanks to everyone for your advice!!! Really did help, thank you.

It is not soul destroying. Just work hard, do past papers, think smartly, don't underestimate UMS marks at A/S and you'll be fine.

Don't go into this making it any harder than it is. Have confidence , work hard, and break the tricky questions down -i.e learn concepts.

It's ALL about work. Life is imo.
Reply 72
very difficult but extremely worth it if you enjoy it. I do OCR salters B and the individual investigation at A2 really destroyed me but apart from that it's really interesting and i love chemistry so im doing Pharmacy at uni.
(edited 11 years ago)
i am doin maths and the 3 sceinces, and maths and chemistry are definetely the easiest with biology being the most difficult-biggest jump ever from gcse
Reply 74
Original post by Jorrey10
Don't listen to everyone saying it is 'impossible'. I do the 3 hardest subjects (maths, chemistry and physics) at AS level at the moment. If you are getting an A/A* at GCSE then you will be fine at chemistry. Personally I find physiscs harder. Yes, chemistry is hard but it's basically just understanding the concepts and you will do great! I love it but I was expecting it to be harder as everyone told me how 'impossible' and difficult it was, although saying this it will probably get alot harder next year. :s-smilie: IF YOU STAY ON TOP OF YOUR WORK, IN ANY SUBJECT YOU WILL BE FINE! :smile: Although if it does help - my friends say biology is alot of learning and harder than GCSE but if you love it and have a good memory then go for it!

This.

If you have a good foundation; Alevel in any of the STEM subjects are not that hard

People in my school go on like Alevel maths is SOOOOO hard
Original post by Jorrey10
Don't listen to everyone saying it is 'impossible'. I do the 3 hardest subjects (maths, chemistry and physics) at AS level at the moment. If you are getting an A/A* at GCSE then you will be fine at chemistry. Personally I find physiscs harder. Yes, chemistry is hard but it's basically just understanding the concepts and you will do great! I love it but I was expecting it to be harder as everyone told me how 'impossible' and difficult it was, although saying this it will probably get alot harder next year. :s-smilie: IF YOU STAY ON TOP OF YOUR WORK, IN ANY SUBJECT YOU WILL BE FINE! :smile: Although if it does help - my friends say biology is alot of learning and harder than GCSE but if you love it and have a good memory then go for it!

Sorry but who said that those were the 3 hardest subjects?
Reply 76
one word:

Hell
Reply 77
fun! :biggrin:
Reply 78
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Sorry but who said that those were the 3 hardest subjects?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/official-some-alevel-subjects-are-harder-than-others-857643.html

*3 of the hardest, sorry my mistake :smile:
Original post by sophiekutie
I need to swap teachers!! I want at least an A overall and at the moment am looking at a B. however over half of my class just got E/U in our jan exam. The other class with good teachers got majority A/B grades. And it's really unfair because they won't share the teachers around! :frown:

Ask if it's possible to swap teachers. Someone did that in my year and got moved into our class. Otherwise, look into getting a tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest