Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    And then ranks so highly in the international tables?? I always thought it was a "top tier" UK university, but why does it rank so poorly in the UK tables?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topgun41)
    And then ranks so highly in the international tables?? I always thought it was a "top tier" UK university, but why does it rank so poorly in the UK tables?
    It is a top tier uni. All numbers show that. Employment numbers and starting salaries.

http://blog.studylondon.ac.uk/2012/0...uate-salaries/

Why it is ranked lower in the UK tables compared to world rankings is a good question, but you shouldn't look at rankings only. Look at the numbers, how many are in employment 6 months after graduation and what average starting salary is. KCL beats many of those ranked higher in this aspect.

Lets take a look at this, the Guardian ranking table:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...gue-table-2013

It says KCL is 31st overall.

Well, take a look at "Career prospects and you will then find KCL among top 5-6 with Bath, Bristol, UCL, LSE, Imperial, Cambridge, etc.

You get the same picture in Complete University Guide.

KCL is placed 18th overall, but when you take a look at graduate prospects, it is once again placed among top 5-6.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...gs?o=Prospects

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this, and the above poster. It is weird that it is so lowly ranked, but you need to look beyond rankings. Employers obviously see it as a top university, as intstud29 showed. Isn't that more important?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the other universities out there have administrations who's main drive and goal is tailored towards pushing themselves further up the university tables. I'm guessing Kings is so reputable and respected that it isn't as motivated towards league tables. For example, looking at the guardian table, my undergrad uni does better on it's NSS than it's rank would suggest, but while I was there, whenever I logged into my intranet account from day 1, the first the computer loaded up was a web link to the NSS telling us how important it was and how it was our chance to have a say. Still vividly remember that NSS logo being firmly implanted in my head when it was coursework time lol. Kings hopefully is trying to let the education and career prospects for its students do the talking....

ReputationRep:
    You should never take world rankings seriously. They never have any correlation to domestic rankings.

ReputationRep:
    probably because they don't really give a **** about their students

ReputationRep:
    Probably because of the way that international rankings are collated, which is essentially by haphazard peer review. Academics are asked to name the unis they respect the most. Scholars from across the world are asked about every Uni. Those that get the most mentions and favourable reviews are higher in the rankings.

This means that unis people have heard of get better marks,because you can't say you respect an institution you aren't aware of. Kcl is a well known Uni so will get more hits.

ReputationRep:
    Because the people that make the ranks decided over the years they haven't done enough to gain a higher place. You can take it or leave it, but that's their ranking. However whether that should be a deciding factor on going to the uni is purly up to you. Certainly they have made a reputation of the past 150+ years to become a well renowned uni around the world and I sure their teaching is still very good.

On second thoughts, perhaps that's the problem, perhaps due to their reputation they have became too complacent, but only those that attend the uni and those that make the rankings could answers this I suppose.

A bit outdated but we've been there and back before http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1726650

ReputationRep:
    Cause they are not as good as they think - simple as that.

They are ' high ' in the THES because they used to sponsor a lot of 3rd world politicians so these people vote for them now. That's ll, their UK alumni sucks

ReputationRep:
    even lower this coming year:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...bles/rankings?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salvatore270)
    Interestingly, look at the graduate prospects rating. KCL has one of the highest, better than Cambridge, Oxford, LSE etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salvatore270)

(Original post by Magnum Opus)
    Interestingly, look at the graduate prospects rating. KCL has one of the highest, better than Cambridge, Oxford, LSE etc.
    Most of the statistics are really impressive - especially 4th in the UK for graduate prospects. It seems although the student satisfaction is bringing it down. Weird as I know a few people at King's who absolutely love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    That is the only thing that should count - graduate prospects. Afterall, I don't go to uni to party or to be 100% satisfied, lol. So KCL has excellent numbers for employment. It also has 7th highest starting salaries in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  25iht-sreducemerging25-graphic-popup.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  200.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    Good question really. My experience at King's has been much, much better than at UCL. The UCL library might as well not exist wheres the Maughan library is one of the best in Britain. I think it has something to do with the lower entry requirements; higher entry requirements = generally smarter/more hardworking people = a better alumni, although it has nothing with what the uni actually has to offer.

Because league tables constantly fluctuate annually for various reasons. The rankings are subjective too as those who judge the quality of universities rate according to certain factors, and so position universities in different places. This however doesn't negate the fact that King's is still a fine university.

ReputationRep:
    Because rankings don't mean much / are reductive marketing ploys.

ReputationRep:
    University reputation matters a lot less than department reputation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecf1690)
    University reputation matters a lot less than department reputation!
    Disagree.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.