Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

How popular is Skype? Watch

I've just downloaded it and I'm wondering if it's actually that commonly used? I mean, remember years ago when almost EVERYONE had msn, how popular is Skype compared to that?

So basically, could you just reply and say if you use it and vaguely how many people you know use it?

I don't wanna go round asking people if they've got it in RL only for them all to say no

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I'd say from my personal experience as a Uni student that you use Skype a lot more when you want to video/voice call friends and family back home, and facebook chat is more common as obviously basically everyone has facebook, but that most of the time people do tend to have skype, even if they're not always online.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Skype. I've used it to video call my family while I was in the UK or Ireland but only because we didn't spend such a long time talking to each other. However, I'm on a LDR and I speak to my bf at least for one hour every night and I never use Skype. For the last two years we used Msn and now that hotmail has merged with Skype we tried Skype for a couple of days and we both hated it. The quality of the video is really bad and it keeps crashing all the time. We're using Google + now.

(Original post by imidorotheah)
    Erm, I'd say from my personal experience as a Uni student that you use Skype a lot more when you want to video/voice call friends and family back home, and facebook chat is more common as obviously basically everyone has facebook, but that most of the time people do tend to have skype, even if they're not always online.
    Ah ok. I actually don't have facebook. Is facebook chat good?

ReputationRep:
    Most people I know at uni use skype

ReputationRep:
    It is very popular, most people I know have it and it used to have an online user counter and it was always between 30 and 40 million people online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imidorotheah)
    I agree !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Ah ok. I actually don't have facebook. Is facebook chat good?
    haha. awkward. yeah facebook is a must if you generally want to talk to people, i'd say :P

ReputationRep:
    The only person I know personally who uses it is my sister who lives in China to speak to her friends. Everyone else uses either whatsap or facebook chat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.