Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA GCSE - Unit 3 (P3,B3,C3) New specification papers. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I hope so! A lot of unexpected people got C's and B's in unit 2 which kind of shook me a bit haha!
    We haven't finished the work in class yet and I'm hoping we'll be able to cover it all before study leave!

ReputationRep:
    Well done for all of these smashing grades!

As a teacher I wanted to drop in and give some advice - we've recently taken delivery of some samples from Oxford publishers of their AQA revision guides.

They really do look superb - they've condensed the info from the textbook, and given lots of practice questions for different levels with answers in the back. If you haven't yet got a revision workbook (which you diligent people probably have anyway) then give it some serious thought.

Have a look - http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Separat...1&sr=1-3-fkmr0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efemena15)
    You have a superb set of results . You can definitely get A* in Physics
    His results are brilliant, i really hoped that i started trying earlier in my GCSE's as I only came to the realisation that i had to try in september last year. I just really hope its not too late to get A*'s in my sciences. How are you doing in other subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Wow. All of your results are absolutely amazing. I feel so stupid on TSR
    Well done ,captain anonymous . Im sure you will get A*'s in all of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qaisha)
    Well done for all of these smashing grades!

As a teacher I wanted to drop in and give some advice - we've recently taken delivery of some samples from Oxford publishers of their AQA revision guides.

They really do look superb - they've condensed the info from the textbook, and given lots of practice questions for different levels with answers in the back. If you haven't yet got a revision workbook (which you diligent people probably have anyway) then give it some serious thought.

Have a look - http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Separat...1&sr=1-3-fkmr0
    Im considering buying this book but I am not too sure if I should. Can you give me more details of the content of thr book and how is it different from the student book.
    Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkgorilla)
    Im considering buying this book but I am not too sure if I should. Can you give me more details of the content of thr book and how is it different from the student book.
    Thanks.
    It has got most of the info the student book has, condensed. It has different questions at E, C, and A* level (at least different to the separate Bio, Chem, and Phys textbooks we compared them to), and pages of "exam style" questions with space to write answers.

Use the "look inside" button on Amazon to see for yourself. I'm not sure I'd recommend it if you've already shelled out for the student book, but you should make your own decision. A pure workbook full of questions may be better in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thank you guys! I really mean it

ReputationRep:
    I am going to go for A*s in all 3 but, my realistic aim is 2 A*s in chemistry and biology as I'm taking it for a level. And an A in physics

ReputationRep:
    ahh!!! i need 78 in C3 for A* in chem
    84 in P3 for A* in physics
    and 95 in B3 for A* in bio!!!!!!!!!!(but i resitting B1 and hopefully get that to a high a* (got 82 in B1 before) so then i would need around 80 in B3 for an A* in bio overall!

still hard, so i basically need at least 3 a's in the unit 3's, providing that i do well in B1...

edit: A lot of people on here are going to get A*s in these sciences! good luck to everyone!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a123a)
    ahh!!! i need 78 in C3 for A* in chem
    84 in P3 for A* in physics
    and 95 in B3 for A* in bio!!!!!!!!!!(but i resitting B1 and hopefully get that to a high a* (got 82 in B1 before) so then i would need around 80 in B3 for an A* in bio overall!

still hard, so i basically need at least 3 a's in the unit 3's, providing that i do well in B1...
    Well Done that's really good! Good luck with unit 3's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Anonymous)
    Well Done that's really good! Good luck with unit 3's
    same to you, you're definitely going to get A*s, expecially in biology!! how do you do it in biology, it's my weakest science, any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone may advice will be that go into the last exam with this mind frame - saying you need 100 UMS in the final paper as this will make you do the best you possibly can and also will guarantee you get your UMS required as you'll do better... Basically it won't make yourself personally feel cocky by saying I only need to scrape an A or whatever

ReputationRep:
    Everyone may advice will be that go into the last exam with this mind frame - saying you need 100 UMS in the final paper as this will make you do the best you possibly can and also will guarantee you get your UMS required as you'll do better... Basically it won't make yourself personally feel cocky by saying I only need to scrape an A or whatever
    yea that's the mind frame i had when sitting C1 (resit) and P2 jan 2013..
    and it worked because i had all A's in my unit exams (except for isas) previous to these exams, but got 97 in C1 and 94 in P2 with that mentality. so yea aiming high helps.

ReputationRep:
    Well done that's brilliant I also re sat C1 I got 100UMS you done brilliantly in P2 so well done! I got 83 which isn't too bad!

ReputationRep:
    Well done that's brilliant I also re sat C1 I got 100UMS you done brilliantly in P2 so well done! I got 83 which isn't too bad!
    I think that i made a mistake by not re-sitting my first few science exams that i took the first january of year 10. Im yet to retake any exams in any of my GCSE's and Biology B1 will be my only resit, so i will just have to try mega hard this summer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    I think that i made a mistake by not re-sitting my first few science exams that i took the first january of year 10. Im yet to retake any exams in any of my GCSE's and Biology B1 will be my only resit, so i will just have to try mega hard this summer!
    I'm re sitting my b1 again despite that I got 96! It's extremely annoying my school entered me in by accident and apparently they can't opt me out ! extremely annoying I don't think in going to revise that hard for it as I can only got 4UMS more in total

ReputationRep:
    I'm re sitting my b1 again despite that I got 96! It's extremely annoying my school entered me in by accident and apparently they can't opt me out ! extremely annoying I don't think in going to revise that hard for it as I can only got 4UMS more in total
    You dont need to sit again, your school can pull you from an examination up to 1 day before the exam. Also, if they refuse to pull you from the exam, you dont even need to try, they will take your best score so your 96 will count

ReputationRep:
    You dont need to sit again, your school can pull you from an examination up to 1 day before the exam. Also, if they refuse to pull you from the exam, you dont even need to try, they will take your best score so your 96 will count
    Do they take your best score? I thought it was the latest, otherwise I'd be resitting a few more!!!

ReputationRep:
    oh okay, thanks for letting me know, i've spoken to my school and they go they can't withdraw me from the entry - its very frustrating! Oh well, i'll just try and get 100UMS i don't have anything to loose to be honest, even if i get an U my 96UMS will count so i'm happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandaman7771)
    Do they take your best score? I thought it was the latest, otherwise I'd be resitting a few more!!!
    Yep! they take your best UMS score, so say you do an exam and get a B 77UMS, you re sit the exam and then get 61 UMS C, they'll take your highest (B 77) mark

PS: Hope it helps!

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.