Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA GCSE - Unit 3 (P3,B3,C3) New specification papers. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shibucool)
    Question: How does the heart effectively pump blood around the body? (6 marks)

Answer: The heart receives oxygenated blood from the lungs to the left atrium via the pulmonary vein. The atria will contract, moving the oxygenated blood to the left ventricle. When the left ventricle contracts, it forces the oxygenated blood up the aorta to the rest of the body. The body cells will use the oxygen and will send the deoxygenated blood back to the heart. The heart receives deoxygenated blood from the body to the right atrium via the vena cava. The atria will contract, moving the deoxygenated blood to the right ventricle. When the right ventricle contracts, it forces the deoxygenated blood up the pulmonary artery to the lungs again so that it can be re-oxygenated.

How many marks would you give that?
    Its a very highly detailed response.

I would say 5/6 - maybe you should include details of valves and even describe how arteries look and are adapted

ReputationRep:
    Question: How does the heart effectively pump blood around the body? (6 marks)

Answer: The heart receives oxygenated blood from the lungs to the left atrium via the pulmonary vein. The atria will contract, moving the oxygenated blood to the left ventricle. When the left ventricle contracts, it forces the oxygenated blood up the aorta to the rest of the body. The body cells will use the oxygen and will send the deoxygenated blood back to the heart. The heart receives deoxygenated blood from the body to the right atrium via the vena cava. The atria will contract, moving the deoxygenated blood to the right ventricle. When the right ventricle contracts, it forces the deoxygenated blood up the pulmonary artery to the lungs again so that it can be re-oxygenated.

How many marks would you give that?
    Yes, I think that's a great answer. The question does mention effectively which I feel suggests you might want to talk about certain adaptations of red blood cells etc to ensure you hit high marks.

Of course, I can't say for sure since I don't have the mark scheme, but after writing an answer I usually add little statements on at the end that might count for something and hit some marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BI0)
    Yes, I think that's a great answer. The question does mention effectively which I feel suggests you might want to talk about certain adaptations of red blood cells etc to ensure you hit high marks.

Of course, I can't say for sure since I don't have the mark scheme, but after writing an answer I usually add little statements on at the end that might count for something and hit some marks.
    OK Thanks Do you think mentioning about valves will give me a higher mark as well?

ReputationRep:
    OK Thanks Do you think mentioning about valves will give me a higher mark as well?
    yeah it should do, and to be on the safe side describe something like rbc/ arteries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Anonymous)
    yeah it should do, and to be on the safe side describe something like rbc/ arteries
    What's rbc?

ReputationRep:
    rbc=red blood cells

ReputationRep:
    What's rbc?
    sorry mate, its only my laziness.

RBC - Red Blood Cells

ReputationRep:
    For the specimen papers, i think the grade boundaries should/will be around:

Biology: A* - 46, A - 38, B - 31, C - 26, D - 20
    Chemistry: A* - 48, A - 40, B - 33, C- 28, D - 23
    Physics: A* - 45, A - 37, B - 31, C - 25, D - 19

Biology: 100 UMS - 55
    Chemistry: 100 UMS - 57
    Physics: 100 UMS - 54

ReputationRep:
    For the specimen papers, i think the grade boundaries should/will be around:

Biology: A* - 46, A - 38, B - 31, C - 26, D - 20
    Chemistry: A* - 48, A - 40, B - 33, C- 28, D - 23
    Physics: A* - 45, A - 37, B - 31, C - 25, D - 19

Biology: 100 UMS - 55
    Chemistry: 100 UMS - 57
    Physics: 100 UMS - 54
    I no longer have any interest in getting 100 UMS

These exams are a little harder than unit 2 and 1 (imo) so hopefully reduced grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BI0)
    I no longer have any interest in getting 100 UMS

These exams are a little harder than unit 2 and 1 (imo) so hopefully reduced grade boundaries.
    Yh i know, my only interest is getting my UMS required for the grade i want ;D

ReputationRep:
    Motor effect and all that is hard...
    It's not that baaad, you will get used to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolface32)
    It's not that baaad, you will get used to it!
    I have a better understanding of it now

ReputationRep:
    lolface32 you up for the revision game?

ReputationRep:
    I got some spare time, I'll play.

I feel like chemistry :3
    Okay, can you name flame colours of different elements, how you would check whether a sample had Al, Ca or Mg ions, and what colour precipitates do Copper, Iron(II) and Iron(III) form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BI0)

Okay, can you name flame colours of different elements, how you would check whether a sample had Al, Ca or Mg ions, and what colour precipitates do Copper, Iron(II) and Iron(III) form?
    Wanna rotate between physics and Chem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BI0)

Lithium - crimson
    Sodium - yellow
    Potassium - lilac
    Calcium - red
    Barium - green

ReputationRep:
    Copper is light blue
    Iron (II) is green but thn turns brown so is 'dirty green'
    Iron (III) is brown

ReputationRep:
    you would test if the unknown compound was aluminium, copper and magnesium by adding it to sodium hydroxide solution. When excess solution is added aluminium is dissolved hence, discovered. Then the mg and cu don't dossolve then you do a flame test. Copper is red and magnesium doesn't give off a flame

ReputationRep:
    Explain what is meant by equlibrium and what happens if the reactant has more pressure and the forward reaction is exothermic.

Describe the equilibium of the Harber process, giving reasons for why it is the way it is

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.