The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE - Unit 3 (P3,B3,C3) New specification papers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tohaaaa
Argh. I need to revise those :smile: (C3)

Here are some B3 questions I made up: (Just to make you think)...

1) A marathon runner is selecting an energy drink for her race, recommend the best type of drink for the runner. Justify your answer.
2) A man is locked outside on a hot summers day, after a wile his skin turns red and feels hot, and he begins to sweat. Explain why.
3) Fusarium is a fungus used to produce the protein base food mycoprotein, describe the process used to harvest mycoprotein using the fungus Fusarium.

Enjoy :smile:

1. Sports Drink as it will replace the marathon runners, ions and water lost in sweat, and glucose which he uses for energy.
2. Because his arteries dilate (widen) to supply his organs more blood, this can then be radiated out of his body so, therefore decrease his body temperature (skin flushes) Also, his sweat glands produce more sweat, and the water can evapourate from the body, therefore decrease the body temperature = to cool him down
Reply 841
Original post by Captain Anonymous
1. Sports Drink as it will replace the marathon runners, ions and water lost in sweat, and glucose which he uses for energy.
2. Because his arteries dilate (widen) to supply his organs more blood, this can then be radiated out of his body so, therefore decrease his body temperature (skin flushes) Also, his sweat glands produce more sweat, and the water can evapourate from the body, therefore decrease the body temperature = to cool him down

Woo :smile: Nicely done. Although about the first one, I would've said that the arteries dilate to allow more blood into the skin capillaries, meaning more blood is flowing closer to the skin, meaning more heat is lost by radiation. (That might be not entirely correct, not sure. Correct me if I'm wrong)
Reply 842
Original post by tohaaaa
Argh. I need to revise those :smile: (C3)

Here are some B3 questions I made up: (Just to make you think)...

1) A marathon runner is selecting an energy drink for her race, recommend the best type of drink for the runner. Justify your answer.
2) A man is locked outside on a hot summers day, after a wile his skin turns red and feels hot, and he begins to sweat. Explain why.
3) Fusarium is a fungus used to produce the protein base food mycoprotein, describe the process used to harvest mycoprotein using the fungus Fusarium.

I have never heard of Fusarium or mycroproteins, is it in the spec?
Reply 843
Original post by lolface32
I have never heard of Fusarium or mycroproteins, is it in the spec?

It is. B3.4.4.

Here is a copy good sir.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL-W-SP.PDF
Reply 844
I'll also post it here:

"The fungus Fusarium is useful for producing
mycoprotein, a protein-rich food suitable for
vegetarians. The fungus is grown on glucose
syrup, in aerobic conditions, and the biomass is
harvested and purified."
Reply 845
Original post by tohaaaa
It is. B3.4.4.

Here is a copy good sir.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL-W-SP.PDF

Thank you so much man, the CGP books have been useless then:frown:

Edit: Turns out I am to blind to notice it :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 846
Thank you so much man, the CGP books have been useless then:frown:

Edit: Turns out I am to blind to notice it :tongue:

Yeah, they did smush it into a little section at the bottom corner :smile:
Glad I managed to help.
Original post by tohaaaa
Woo :smile: Nicely done. Although about the first one, I would've said that the arteries dilate to allow more blood into the skin capillaries, meaning more blood is flowing closer to the skin, meaning more heat is lost by radiation. (That might be not entirely correct, not sure. Correct me if I'm wrong)

Your 100% right mate, that's what i intended to write
just wondering how much detail do we need to know about Furasium and mycroprotein and also about artifical breathing aids so things like Saline etc?
Reply 849
just wondering how much detail do we need to know about Furasium and mycroprotein and also about artifical breathing aids so things like Saline etc?

I assume a lot of it. They will more than likely be those big 6/4/3 marker type questions, which there is a LOT of in unit 3.
I thought you were done with science revision?
Reply 850
Here are some more questions on B3:

1)Many internal body conditions must be regulated, blood glucose is one of these. Describe how blood glucose is regulated when the levels get too high and too low, in your answer refer to the hormones and organs involved.
2)The kidneys filter the blood. Explain how.
3)Explain the factors that affect transpiration rates in plants.
4)The villi are an example of an exchange surface, describe and explain the features of the villi which make it an effective exchange surface.

AND FINALLY:

5)Ventilation is essential for life, describe the process of ventilation in humans, in your answer state in what part of the body ventilation occurs.

What do you lot think the 6 mark question might be about? I know it's hard to predict, but what are the likely topics? :s-smilie:
Reply 852
Original post by Dougieowner
What do you lot think the 6 mark question might be about? I know it's hard to predict, but what are the likely topics? :s-smilie:

No idea, kinda leaning towards the medical side of things though :smile:
Reply 853
Original post by tohaaaa

1)Many internal body conditions must be regulated, blood glucose is one of these. Describe how blood glucose is regulated when the levels get too high and too low, in your answer refer to the hormones and organs involved.
4)The villi are an example of an exchange surface, describe and explain the features of the villi which make it an effective exchange surface.

AND FINALLY:

5)Ventilation is essential for life, describe the process of ventilation in humans, in your answer state in what part of the body ventilation occurs.

Appreciate it!:biggrin:
Reply 854
Appreciate it!:biggrin:

Here is another one I just thought of:

- Explain why the destruction of peat bogs is so significant on the environment.
Peat bogs, are basically carbon dioxide reserves - they decrease the amount of co2 being emiited into the atmosphereas they trap it therefore, destroying these peat bogs will result in an increase in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere which is a green house gas that casues global warming :biggrin:
Original post by tohaaaa

AND FINALLY:

1. When levels get too high, the pancreas makes/secretes the hormone insulin, which makes the glucose in your blood to glycogen which gets stored in the liver, hence decrease the blood sugar level and when the levels get too low the hormone glucagon is used to convert the stored glycogen in the liver back to glucose, meaning your cells can use the energy for respiration, hence increase blood glucose/sugar levels :colondollar:
Original post by tohaaaa

AND FINALLY:

The kidneys filter blood by filtering all the molecules and compounds in the blood. The useful molecules such as glucsoe , water and ions are reabsorped by selective reabsoption depending on how much of these your body requires. The partially permable membrane makes it possible for the molcules to diffuse into the blood and stop molecules such as protein from escaping as it is too large to be filtered
Original post by tohaaaa

AND FINALLY:

3. Cba to explain but the factors that affect the rate of transpiration are dry,warm and windy conditions.:colondollar:
Peat bogs, are basically carbon dioxide reserves - they decrease the amount of co2 being emiited into the atmosphereas they trap it therefore, destroying these peat bogs will result in an increase in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere which is a green house gas that casues global warming :biggrin:

Also, when they are used in compost the peat decays which then releases C02

Quick Reply

Latest