Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA GCSE - Unit 3 (P3,B3,C3) New specification papers. Watch

ReputationRep:
    My hands casully get regular spasms - been practising Flemmings left hand rule too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Anonymous)
    Define the term 'magnetic field'
    I'm not too sure about this....

A field around a magnetic object in which another magnet will experience a force?

ReputationRep:
    Magnetic field is a region where magnetic materials (like iron and stell) and also wired carrying currents experience a force acting on therm.

Q: Explain how a transformer works.

ReputationRep:
    My hands casully get regular spasms - been practising Flemmings left hand rule too much
    But it makes life so much easier!

ReputationRep:
    A magnetic field is a region in which magnetic materials, and wires carrying a current, experience a force acting upon themselves.

What is the functional group of alcohols, carboxylic acids and esters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obliviate)
    Magnetic field is a region where magnetic materials (like iron and stell) and also wired carrying currents experience a force acting on therm.

Q: Explain how a transformer works.
    An alternating current goes through the primary coil. this creates an alternating magnetic field, and the secondary coil, as it cuts this field, has a current induced on it

(Again, a bit rusty on this.)

ReputationRep:
    the primary is connected to a source of alternating current that produces a constantly varying magnetic field around the coil. The varying magnetic field, in turn, produces an alternating current in the other coil. This coil, called the secondary, is connected to a separate electric circuit which feels the change in magnetic field therefore, induces the potential difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BI0)
    A magnetic field is a region in which magnetic materials, and wires carrying a current, experience a force acting upon themselves.

What is the functional group of alcohols, carboxylic acids and esters?
    Alcohols: -OH
    Carboxylic Acids: -COOH
    Esters: -COO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight1811)
    Brilliant ISA results, i got

Biology - 39/50 - probs 84 ums or lower.
    Chemistry - 43/50 - probs 94 ums or lower
    Physics - 41/50 - 88 ums or lower.
    our teachers told us that they think its around the 39/50 mark to get an A*/ full UMS and they said anyone who go over that mark shouldn't redo their ISAs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibbi1824)
    our teachers told us that they think its around the 39/50 mark to get an A*/ full UMS and they said anyone who go over that mark shouldn't redo their ISAs
    that's what it was for the core science ISA boundaries

ReputationRep:
    A magnetic field is a region where Magnetic Materials (like Iron or Steel) and also Wires carrying currents experience a force acting on them...
    Learnt by heart from CGP!
    Explain the pros and cons of medical Imaging. (Ultrasound, X-Rays, CT scans

ReputationRep:
    that's what it was for the core science ISA boundaries
    hmmm idk :confused: this is what they told everyone doing triple at my schol

ReputationRep:
    Very Quickly:

X rays are ionising however, can be used to see fractured bones
    Ultrasound is non ionsing and produces a highly detailed 3D image however, its expensive
    CT scans can tell the difference between dense soft tissues however, there picture quality is poor

Quite rushed TBH lol

ReputationRep:
    Very Quickly:

X rays are ionising however, can be used to see fractured bones
    Ultrasound is non ionsing and produces a highly detailed 3D image however, its expensive
    CT scans can tell the difference between dense soft tissues however, there picture quality is poor

Quite rushed TBH lol
    you did good, but the quality of picture for Ultrasound and CT needs to swap
    also CT scans con is the use of more X ray radiation which is ionising etc

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z-a12345)
    Hi; if anyone has any links for English literature and language papers for GCSES can you plz giv us the link [l>
    this is a science thread. Please keep on topic.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

why the negative reputation?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone
    Hey, you up for some revision?

Edit: Why the neg?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

My physics teacher, being fairly incompetent, still has 6 weeks worth of material which he needs to teach us... but our exam is the 23rd of May which is exactly 5 weeks, and I'm predicting him wasting a couple of lessons with unnecessary jibber jabber, so...
    does anyone know any good websites from which I can self teach the rest of the physics course? (and recap all of the others?)
    Any help is appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beaux1)
    Hi guys!

My physics teacher, being fairly incompetent, still has 6 weeks worth of material which he needs to teach us... but our exam is the 23rd of May which is exactly 5 weeks, and I'm predicting him wasting a couple of lessons with unnecessary jibber jabber, so...
    does anyone know any good websites from which I can self teach the rest of the physics course? (and recap all of the others?)
    Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    I feel for you! I haven't finished unit 3 physics or bio in class but I ended up self teaching it.

The mygcsescience videos are really useful and I made the rest of my notes from the following revision guide :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/140850834..._df_1408508346

That revision guide is useful, and it may be at your local library - it was at mine.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.